Intermittent Door Lock Problem

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Joel Bacon, Sep 23, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Joel Bacon

Joel Bacon New Member

I have an intermittent problem that started a couple of weeks ago. Sometimes when I walk up to the locked car and try to open the drivers door, it will beep like it is unlocking but the door won't open. If I pull out the key fob and hit the unlock button, it will beep but still won't open. I end up having to open the drivers side rear door or the passenger door, both of which will open and reach across and open it from the inside.

Anyone else experiencing this problem?

Rav likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I assume you've tried it with both fobs, but it doesn't sound like a fob-battery problem. It sounds like the car, not the fob, is broken.

4. Does the door unlock with the Lock switch on the inside of the Door? Maybe test it with the window open so you can unlock it with the switch, but then try the outside handle. I think the inside handle with mechanically unlock it regardless.

5. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Front inside door handle will always unlock and open the door no matter what the lock status.

6. Rav

Rav Member

I have this problem too (among several others), here are my scenarios -

• won't unlock car
    • won't open the trunk
    • won't turn on the car
    I've already taken it to Honda and they replaced the key fob but I am still having these problems. Thankfully it doesn't happen every time but it should NEVER happen, especially not on a new car I just got a few months ago, it's so embarrassing. Ugh, I HATE Honda :mad:

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Joel Bacon

Joel Bacon New Member

On mine, it's certainly not the key fob as I don't even take it out of my pocket. When I touch the door handle, it makes the beep like it has unlocked it the door won't open. It's only then that I take out the key fob and try but it doesn't seem to help. It only happens occasionally but I think next time it does I'll look from the other side to see if the lock is in fact in the unlocked position. I believe it's either a mechanical issue with the door or a computer issue.
    I'll post again when I figure it out.

9. ab13

ab13 Active Member

Some people have seen issues with the fob interfering with another fob type device if nearby. Such as the same pocket or bag location.

10. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

I know that the trunk won't unlock if the fob is too close to the button...

11. rodeknyt

rodeknyt Active Member

Have you tried changing the battery in the fob? Just because the car is new doesn't mean the battery was fresh when installed by the factory. Could be that some fob functions work consistently only with a strong battery.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. 2ndEV_ClarityPHEV

2ndEV_ClarityPHEV New Member

I have the same issue. The issue isn't the fob, its a mechanical issue with the door locking mechanism. To temporarily remediate the issue, I have discovered that manually unlocking and unlocking the door(via the lever next to the door handle) will free the stuck door. Then the electronic methods (fob, buttons, ect...) all work. Honda has failed to repair this as the issue is intermittent. When I bring it in, they can't find the issue. Does anyone here have a good contact method for letting Honda USA know of this door issue?

14. dannyboy

dannyboy New Member

I'm necromancing this thread because I recently purchased a Clarity and am running into this issue. The power door locks on the driver's door very very rarely work, regardless of how they're activated (key fob, inside door button, outside door handle). It's really frustrating to have to manually lock the door when exiting then having to reach inside through the back door to unlock the front door.

Considering the age of this thread has anyone ever found a solution? I assume it's a problem with the door lock actuator, but before I go that route would like to hear what other people found.

15. cokeb5

cokeb5 Member

Did you end up finding a fix? Same thing is happening on mine and it's super frustrating, all the other doors seem to unlock fine but then the drivers gets stuck like this all the time...

16. dannyboy

dannyboy New Member

Sadly I haven't found a fix.

I took the car to the dealership, and they were unable to replicate the problem. That's no surprise because the driver's door lock will work perfectly fine for weeks on end then won't work for a few days then spontaneously work again. When I took it in of course it started spontaneously working again.

dGarry48 likes this.
  17. dGarry48

dGarry48 Member

Too bad to hear there's no solution yet. My friend is looking at a Clarity to replace his F150. The truck got new bed cover and toyo tires but the dealership can't fix the AC and coolant leak. The Clarity is totally neat but also having similar door lock issue.

18. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

FWIW,
    The door lock issue is unusual here so it is probably not very common.
    If it is a solid failure, I think it should be easy to identify and repair. The earlier report was intermittent making it more difficult.

19. Lakin Zoe

Lakin Zoe New Member

After getting to our trailer which stays at the coast and realizing that once again I had forgotten the keys in the other vehicle and having my wife dig in her purse to hope she had her set of keys, I purchased the RVLock V4. I installed it Saturday in about 20 minutes and it's very easy to do, instructions were easy to follow, and get it set up. After using the remote all weekend it is a great product, no more dragging keys or worrying about forgetting the keys.

20. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Welcome to the InsideEVs' Clarity Forum!

I don't have an RV, and after reading your post I thought, "So now you have to remember to bring the remote?" Then I found the RVLock website and saw the unit includes a keypad in addition to the remotes. Are all RVs made with the same locking systems? Why does this unit have two keyholes?

upload_2022-9-26_9-39-44.png

21. One key locks the handle, the other throws a deadbolt.

Not sure how that device would solve the issue being discussed in this thread.

Madmartigen likes this.
  22. Lakin Zoe

Lakin Zoe New Member

Another feature that I like about this door lock is its reliability. It still locks and unlocks even when the battery level is low. This is highly important especially if you have lost track of time when you first replaced the batteries. Also, the coating prevents the elements such as water, sunlight, and dust from degrading the lock itself.

23. Can you send us a photo of the RV Lock as you’ve installed it on your Clarity?