ID.3 looks great, practical and forward thinking

Discussion in 'General' started by David Green, Sep 10, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. David Green

David Green Well-Known Member

ID.3 looks like a useful car that is showing up next year to compete with the Tesla Model 3 SR+, this will provide a volume pin prick in Europe. I think VW is smart to sell a larger crossover sized version in the USA, they should try to launch it into the market at the same time as the Model Y, which looks to be the schedule.

https://electrek.co/2019/09/09/vw-id3-production-electric-car-unveiling/

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. brulaz

brulaz Active Member

Maybe I'm out of touch, but in the past VW sold scads of Golfs up here in Canada.
    Very popular as a Hot-hatch or TDI.
    So dunno why they're just bringing the bigger Crozz over and not the ID.3s.
    The ID.3 long range would be just what we want.
    Maybe just not enough profit in it.

4. David Green

I think it is simple economics, and market appetite. The Crozz (like Model Y) will sell for a higher price than the ID.3 in the USA market, as it is right in the sweet spot of the current market trends. I think VW plans to put one right sized EV in each market initially then figure out where there is more demand. Looking at InsideEV scorecard this year I would say EV demand is nearly saturated at least in the USA market, as we are seeing a flat 2019 vs 2018, with minimal growth even though there is more EV choices, and inventory in the market than there has ever been, and several models are offering discounted pricing. VW also has the Roomzz undergoing development in the large EV crossover segment, and I would guess that will end up in the USA as well. I hope we see ID.3 here someday as it looks like a great value proposition for a good looking, and practical car, but VW is a profit corporation, so bringing it into the USA market will have to make economic sense when it comes to demand.

5. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

Agree, seems to be the case

ID. 3 is back ordered and there seems to be a great demand in Europe, so it makes more sense to satisfy that demand before taking on the US market, where small cars are not that popular. So it makes sense to wait and see for VW. They can always bring it over later: they already have the dealers, the distribution chain and the charging network, so it will be only be the incremental cost of marketing, training etc. A lot is going to depend upon the political climate in about a year and half. If California and other states can keep their standards, more cars will come to the US. The economy will be another factor, if there is a recession, then selling ID3 may make more sense. So I do not think the VW decision is set in stone, it can and most probably will change in a year or two.

6. David Green

Don't forget the cost of engineering, design, and test for a USA model, its about $200-300 million to convert a euro spec car to USA standards, as VW actually does a full test program for each model / market, its not like Tesla where the first owners in a new market are the testers.

If ID.3 comes to the USA it will be built here (avoiding future tariffs) , Chattanooga is rebuilding for the MEB platform currently, and initial tooling is being installed for Crozz, or whatever the production version will be called. My friends in the tooling industry tell me production will start a little over a year from today. As I understand the MEB line in Chattanooga will be a flex line, capable of assembly of all MEB based products (ID.3, Crozz, Roomz, etc...). The whole idea behind MEB is to be modular and allow for several vehicles to share many components (similar to Model 3-Y), saving engineering and manufacturing setup costs. Although different from 3-Y, VW's MEB platform will build vehicles in vastly different size classes, width, and wheelbases. As I understand MEB is even rigid enough to do a pickup (hint hint).

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. brulaz

brulaz Active Member

Yes, the ID.4 (or Crozz) with its AWD and ~300mi range is going to compete (and be priced) more with the Tesla 3/Y AWD LR models.
    Not with the cheaper Bolts and Konas. VW will need the ID.3 for that.
    Too bad, for us and for now anyway.

9. brulaz

brulaz Active Member

Just read that the upcoming Ford Mach 1 Mustang-like CUV/SUV/whatever will also have AWD with multiple motors and long range (330mi?).
    Similar to the ID.4 (Crozz) and Tesla 3/Y Long Range.
    But the prices will prolly be high. In Canada the Tesla 3 L.R. AWD is C$66K + tax less incentives.
    I presume the ID.4, Y L.R. and Mach 1 will be in the same range.
    How many folks are there out there willing/able to spend that kind of $$?

Could really use more competition at the low trim Bolt and Kona levels if we want EVs to take off.

10. David Green

I agree with you, but importing ID.3 to the USA market and selling at low prices is most likely a bad investment for VW right now. They need to satisfy demand in their home markets and than re-evaluate