Small issues/quirks

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Brennan Raposo, Mar 10, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. how does this work exactly? Isn't it AM or not?

Wildeyed likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I literally don't know what HD radio is.

4. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

I guess it’s multi channel fm radio. I see 103.5 in Vancouver has extra channels on display and I believe one of them is cknw which I think is normally an am station. Until I saw the extra channels on display I had no idea what it was either. I see the HD looses signal easily and here on the island and it reverts back to one channel and the quality of the music drops too, so I guess HD radio is also a higher definition signal.

5. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

You don't have to guess.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_Radio

Kitsilano and KonaTom like this.
  6. Okay but it still doesn't explain how anybody receives this in the Kona. Is the radio compatible? Is this a band you can select? How would a listener even know if the HD signal was available for a given station?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

its standard for the Ultimate version at least.
    On the radio menu if the station is HD, there will be a symbol showing that on the radio screen at the top left corner of the main screen. next to the hd symbol will be a number of numbered buttons, these are the extra channels. If you don't see the HD symbol, it is not an HD station.

9. brulaz

brulaz Active Member

According to the Canadian brochure, HD Radio is in the Ultimate but not the Preferred model.

Wildeyed likes this.
  10. Thank you. I will look for it.

11. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

My husband says that the HD is designed for bigger cities and not rural areas. I play AM instead of FM and do have the Kona on a couple of HD AM stations and it is good signal here in Vancouver.

Wildeyed likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. There is nothing specific you can select in order to use the radio. Some stations have them, some don't. You see the HD logo on the top of the radio screen.

Also if there is stations in the area the radio will automatically receive info like traffic without you doing anything. It scans automatically and uses that information.

If you are in a big city, like here in Vegas, you get traffic information through it as well that gets put into the navigation map and gets calculated into your route.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    electriceddy likes this.
  14. That's a bonus!

15. I must say reception in my CRV was quite good as well. I had removed the antenna in the summer months to get my paddle boards on top, and got good reception even without it.

16. It's my understanding that the "Drive Info" display is supposed to show the stats for each driving cycle (i.e. each time the vehicle is turned on.) However, I noticed that these stats don't always reset when the vehicle is turned off and back on. It is reset every morning, however. Anyone know if this reset is time based or should it be resetting after every off/on cycle?

From the manual, it says: "This information is displayed for a few seconds when you turn off the vehicle, and then goes off automatically. The information is calculated for each time the vehicle is turned on."

17. SkookumPete

I think you're confusing the session info shown when the car is turned off with the Drive Info display, which is reset after four hours of idleness. It's a sort of daily log or automatic trip meter.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    R P and Esprit1st like this.
  18. The drive info also actually displays real time consumption whereas the accumulated info shows average calculation (unless you have just reset it at the start of the drive)

19. Ah, four hour reset. Now that explains it. Is that time adjustable?

20. No.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

21. Today I noticed that my blind spot monitoring did not alert me a motorcycle in my blind spot. Later I was also not seeing other vehicles flagged either. Then, later in the drive, I was seeing it working again (apparently) properly. So it seems it might be intermittent. Not good. Self diagnostics didn't show any problems.

22. SkookumPete

I'd wipe the sensor -- if I knew where it was. o_O

Wildeyed likes this.
  23. From the manual, not that it helps much:
    "The Blind-Spot Collision Warning (BCW)/Rear Cross-Traffic Collision Warning (RCCW) system uses radar sensors in the rear bumper to monitor and warn the driver of an approaching vehicle in the driver's blind spot area. The system monitors the rear area of the vehicle and provides information to the driver with an audible alert and an indicator on the outside rearview mirrors."

Wildeyed and SkookumPete like this.