EV Range highs and lows

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Mattsburgh, Apr 15, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. From just the superficial observations of how it’s acting and comparing it to how a Prius or my old ice cars goms work it seems rather straight forward. The basic two numbers it’s using is current state of charge, how many kW’s are currently available. The second is the current kWh per 100km. Guessing on how many km are left on a charge from that point is a very easy calculation. If 50% soc remains that’s 32kwh of battery. If you’re getting currently 15 kWh per 100km then you have 213.33 km remaining. Now the reason why the GOM jumps around so wildly is because your current usage rate is not consistent and how it’s calculating your current usage per 100km has some variability based on real world data. Most likely it’s a formula of several data points: your performance average of the last 5 or 10km runs or partial runs. Your last 5-10 minutes of driving and a total average over the last say 1000km. The set of data points would all be constantly changing causing your current usage attempting to create an accurate average of your usage. A generic daily driver doing the same route over and over will result in a calculation that’s heavily unchanging where as an erratic driving doing lots of things and having multiple people will have a formula that’s wild and constantly changing. But the basics of SOC divided by the current kWh per 100km is probably all the GOM is providing and the kWh per 100km is a snapshot of a **** of stuff averaged out. The Prius used to show you graphs of the sub categories of your performance that was being used to extrapolate your GOM rating. It’s too bad the data formula isn’t laid out too as I like all that extra data.

Esprit1st likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Saw my first Jaguar I-Pace today while shopping at superstore, fancy car! During the conversation with the owner he mentioned only had a range of 375 km with his 85 kWh pack. I didn't mention to him that I had 364 on GOM @73% (of course not AWD like the the I-Pace). At least Jaguar got it right with the CCS connector unlike the M3 where you are SOL at a DCFC in North America

4. E-Shark

E-Shark Active Member

Wow look at you!!! You couldn't get above 380 for the longest time and now you are almost cracking 500!! ;)

Wildeyed likes this.
  5. E-Shark

E-Shark Active Member

I did Vancouver to Kelowna (return) 2 weeks ago, and although the km distance on google maps make it seem feasible, I would not recommend anyone try to go all the way, especially their first time. You lose a lot of charge going up the hills of the COQ, so your GOM will not be accurate, unless that is the type of driving you do. The speed limit of 110 and 120km/h also reduce the range much quicker. I would definitely recommending picking one spot to charge up and you should be fine. The downhills do help regenerate lots of charge, as there were certain areas I barely lost any distance on the GOM. I felt that going from Van you are doing more uphill driving, where as on the return there were more downhills.
    Some good stops to charge are Hope, Britton Creek Rest Area, Merritt, Loon Lake Rest Area.
    As a side note, on my return trip when I had stopped at the Britton Creek Rest Stop to re-charge, a flat deck pulled up with a Kia Soul EV. The driver thought they had enough range, but the hills and speeds killed them. They had to get towed to the nearest charge station. That is why I say plan accordingly and definitely make one stop to charge!!!![/QUOTE]

6. [/QUOTE]
    Thanks for that , I assume you were close to the posted speed limit on the uphill runs or just on the flat areas ?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. BC-Doc

BC-Doc Member

Thanks for your post E-Shark. I live in Vernon and haven’t ventured down to Vancouver yet but plan to in the upcoming weeks so your information is really helpful.

Okanagan Lake is at about 1120 feet elevation versus the sea level of Vancouver so it makes sense that you’d use more energy heading toward K-Town.

A question for you— is it very difficult to access public chargers in Vancouver (both level 2 and level 3)? We’ll need/want to top our Kona once we reach Vancouver (we’re staying downtown).

Thanks again,

BC Doc

9. E-Shark

E-Shark Active Member

Thanks for that , I assume you were close to the posted speed limit on the uphill runs or just on the flat areas ?[/QUOTE]

I basically set the Smart Cruise on to the speed limit and just tried to spend more time enjoying the scenery, as I hadn't done this drive in over a decade. There were some flat portions I went 10km above, and some curves I slowed it down 10km below. Overall I stuck close to the speed limit on both uphills and downhills.

electriceddy likes this.
  10. E-Shark

E-Shark Active Member

Hey BC DOC, I think you will have a pretty easy time finding chargers in Vancouver and the surrounding areas! They are usually ahead of the curve and pushing for green. If not bring your Level 1 charger as I'm sure you will find plugs. Some grocery stores (Superstore) and many of the malls have chargers installed. Download PlugShare and Greenlots apps. Some other people like the ChargeHub app too. There is a good Level 3 Greenlots/BC Hydro charger at 598 Homer St, it is public and free. I also recommend a Level 3 at 16811 96th Ave, if you find yourself getting low, top up before you go downtown. Other than that you should find many Level 2 chargers in and around Downtown. I'm sure there are many other people here who frequent downtown more than me and can tell you about their favorite charger lol! Maybe even one by the beach ;)

Domenick and BC-Doc like this.
  11. Kitsilano

Kitsilano Active Member

BC-Doc, if you get out to UBC (maybe to visit the Museum of Anthropology) there is a free BC Hydro DCFC at Wesbrook Village (new commercial & residential development in southern part of the campus). 100m NNE from this charging station is a very nice grocery store and 100m ENE is a very nice pizza parlor, "Virtuous Pie." My favorite Level 2 public charger is the FLO charger for 4 cars ($1.00/hour for electrons, and parking is free) on Arbutus 1/2 block S of Cornwall, close to Kits Beach, one of the best beaches in Vancouver. Classy restaurant with great ocean view only 100m WNW.

BC-Doc likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Brennan Raposo

Brennan Raposo Well-Known Member

I'm averaging about 450 km to a 90% SOC. Basic math would indicate that I'd be right at 500 km at 100% SOC. I'm completely happy with this considering the advertised range is 415 km at 100% SOC. Good job Hyundai!

Kamloops_KoNa likes this.
  14. Sound the trumpets! I charged up last night after a 200+ kilometre trip with AC blasting in 34° heat. This morning my charge is at 503. First time I broke the big 5-oh-oh barrier. Onward!

15. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

Welcome to the 500+club

16. Thanks. I know I'm far from alone but after my disappointing winter charging (compared to the warm weather folks) it seemed unreachable. Big deal for me.

Kamloops_KoNa and Brennan Raposo like this.
  17. Brennan Raposo

Brennan Raposo Well-Known Member

hahah! This is great. Congrats! I charged to 100% on Friday for the first time since I purchased the car. I too got exactly 503 on the GOM. I was completely stoked! Onward and upward I supposed!

Wildeyed likes this.
  18. E-Shark

E-Shark Active Member

Nice!! Now just do a real world test and see how close your actual KM's are to the GOM.

19. I've never actually done a test with pen and paper handy but my impression is that it's pretty darn close. It's certainly not so wrong that I would even give my range much thought at all. And I think it's AC/ heat reductions seem realistic too. One of these days on one of my longer trips I'll try to jot down my actual odometer readings.

20. Just reset the accumulated info screen before starting

Domenick likes this.
  21. I've never actually done that manually! You're going to make me have to take out that damn owners manual!

22. E-Shark

E-Shark Active Member

LOL you beat me to it!!!

23. The left button you toggle up and down on the wheel push and hold to reset