Regen Observation

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by rodeknyt, Jun 19, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. rodeknyt

rodeknyt Active Member

I don’t know if this has been covered before, so my apologies if it has.

I have noticed in an absolutely repeatable fashion that the amount of regen from the first pull of the left paddle depends on whether the car is going downhill or not (at least my Touring).

I live on a fairly steep street and a majority of the time my routes usually take me down another rather long downgrade. When I’m on these sections one pull of the left paddle consistently results in three chevrons. Once I reach the flatter stretches, that first pull only shows two.

This leads me to believe that the car has some sort of grade sensing built in. Not really significant, but interesting.

Domenick and ken wells like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

I believe this is the first post on this. Thanks for the data point. I learn something new about the Clarity almost every day.

4. fotomoto

fotomoto Active Member

Interesting. By the word "pull" I take it that you are referring to a hard pull and hold type paddle activation? I do rapid "taps" to get to four chevrons as quickly as possible here on the coastal plains as anything less isn't really useful to me.

5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

In traffic I often use 2 chevrons to adjust my Clarity's speed slightly rather than using the brakes (which is likely one of the reasons my brake discs are rusty).

6. ClarityPHEVer

ClarityPHEVer Member

This happens to me too. One pull will bring me to 3 chevrons when I activate it after gliding downhill for a bit.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Mechy

Mechy New Member

I have a commute that takes me over a small mountain pass with variable grades. When I leave the Regen in auto, the car appears to keep near constant speed for most of the downhill. My best guess is this:
    • On flat or slight declines, there is a minimum amount of Regen (maybe 1 chevron worth). The car doesn't seem to coast with no Regen. You will slowly lose speed.
    • On moderate declines, it attempts to keep constant speed using between 1 and 2 chevrons of Regen. You can the the variation in the power/Regen meter as the grade changes
    • On a steep enough decline, the auto Regen maxes out at 2. If you leave it here you will pick up speed. If you pull the left paddle, you'll get to 3 chevrons.

9. fotomoto

fotomoto Active Member

Going back/forth from a CMax always driven in "L gear", even 4 chev's don't feel like much slowing force. Yet the CMax in L and no pedal doesn't activate brake lights so even it's not close to "real regen" compare to some PHEV/BEV's. It's all relative.

But at the end of all this regen stopping business, is the big cherry on the top: Brake HOLD. What a wonderful and useful feature!

10. rodeknyt

rodeknyt Active Member

No, I meant a quick pull and release...probably better described as a tap.

fotomoto likes this.