Clarity Cameras and Safety

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Lowell_Greenberg, Jun 7, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Lowell_Greenberg

Lowell_Greenberg Active Member

I like the Clarity, but I wanted to point out two negatives with regards to the car's cameras. Both underscore the need to use both cameras AND mirrors.

The first is that the resolution of the rear camera is ridiculously low- and as such is a bit of a safety issue. You would think Honda could have spent a few extra dollars on something so basic to safety.

The second is that while the camera on the passenger side mirror has adequate resolution, it tends to do just what the screen warning message says- make objects look further away than they really are. The problem is that in high speed passing situations it is all to easy to trust this camera a bit too much and underestimate the distance of a car coming quicky from behind in the passing lane.

So the lesson is to always check both your mirrors and cameras whether backing up or changing lanes.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Skynosaur

Skynosaur Member

Agree the resolution is so bad at night. A 7 year old Odyssey uses better camera than the clarity.

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk

4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Good advice--I've always counted on my mirrors. You must have had another car that had better cameras than the Clarity, which would certainly make the Clarity's cameras seem inferior. As a driver who never before had a car with a backup camera or a blind-spot camera, I find them to be an amazing benefit. I guess it's easier to be satisfied because I've never had anything better.

Honda's upcoming Europe/Japan-only Honda e comes standard with NO mirrors. I don't know what the resolution of the cameras that perform side and center rear-view functions are but I'd assume they're better than the Clarity's cameras. The Honda e's video-mirrors also automatically perform dimming to make them safe at night. The car also includes additional cameras that provide a 360-degree view--another gizmo I've never experienced before. It's amazing that I've somehow avoided accidents by using nothing but mirrors and turning my head for the past 50 years.

MPower and Lowell_Greenberg like this.
  5. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

How would higher resolution help? Sure, it'll make the cat right behind your car more defined, but you can still see it just fine with the current crappy camera. You don't need to know what color its eyes are to know you need to not back over it.

So pay attention to the lines it tacks onto the picture. They're there for a reason.

Tek_Freek, JJim, MPower and 1 other person like this.
  6. Lowell_Greenberg

Lowell_Greenberg Active Member

I agree the reference lines may be helpful, and I believe they are on by default. However, I stick by my original comments, particularly in highway passing situations.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Skynosaur

Skynosaur Member

You don't have the best rear view on this car. When its dark the backup camera is a joke.

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk

9. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    I know that I would trust the backup camera more if it was a higher resolution. I still use it some, but I still find myself looking more than half the time backing up. My Leaf has a smaller screen, but the camera is much better, so I do trust it more.

Lowell_Greenberg likes this.
  10. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

Are y'all sure your cameras aren't covered in mud or something? I agree it isn't the best camera and the colors at night are atrocious (partially because everything is tinted red from the rear lights), but it's plenty fit for purpose IMHO.

MPower likes this.
  11. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

I have noticed that the night is much better just after I have cleaned the lense. I think the dirt particles scatter the light from rear lights and other cars and make everything seem visually noisy.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. stacey burke

stacey burke Active Member

For the back up camera there is a brightness icon on the left bottom of the screen. It makes it very bright in low light. Give it a try it works great.

14. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

I have no complaints about visibility via mirrors, windows, or cameras in this car. Surprised some are complaining. All works fine for me as is.

insightman likes this.
  15. Jordan

Jordan Member

I love the backup camera and side view camera. Best I've used and I rent a lot of cars for business.

16. The Gadgeteer

The Gadgeteer Active Member

I found the sharpness that was in my 2012 Kia Optima backup camera to be better than that of my 2016 CRV and 2018 Clarity. My friend’s 2017 Buick Encore also has a sharper backup screen/camera combination.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  17. victor_2019

victor_2019 Active Member

the backup camera is indeed kinda crappy, but it's exaggerated to call it a safety issue. I think the problem is that it's the same camera resolution that I had for example in my mazda 3 except the screen is much larger, so the image is stretched and looks less sharp.

and the mirror camera is fine. if you follow the lines on it you have no problems. when the car in the image is behind the last line you have a significant space between you and the car behind you.

objects in the mirror have always been closer than they appear, and all plain old mirrors had a warning text at the bottom saying that "objects in mirror are closer than they appear". and the speed of an approaching vehicle has nothing to do with how close it appears. if a car is coming up fast behind you then you can tell that from the image and not change lanes. And before you indicate to change lanes you should always look in your rearview mirror anyway.

these technologies are there to help you, not replace proper driving habits and skills.

petteyg359 and MPower like this.
  18. upload_2019-6-10_12-34-29.png

Attached Files:

MPower likes this.