What type of vehicle were you previously driving before the Clarity?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by ab13, Feb 13, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

What type of vehicle were you mainly driving before driving the Clarity?

1. ICE only (internal combustion gas or diesel)

106 vote(s)
    65.4%
  2. Hybrid (e.g. Prius)

35 vote(s)
    21.6%
  3. PHEV (plug in hybrid vehicle with ICE engine)

16 vote(s)
    9.9%
  4. BEV (battery all electric vehicle)

8 vote(s)
    4.9%
  5. Other (e.g. natural gas, hydrogen, etc...)

3 vote(s)
    1.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. cheetadaze

cheetadaze New Member

I just upgraded from a 2009 Civic coupe (186,000 miles). Never had any issues with the Civic, but it was close to needing some larger maintenance and I decided it was time to upgrade. Hoping I can squeeze 10 years out of the Clarity as well.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. montelatici

montelatici New Member

2015 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid.

4. cafr11901

cafr11901 New Member

Daily drove a 2009 1 ton Siverado dually for a decade. Still love the rumble of the diesel engine, but the practical and economical upsides of the Clarity are substantial.

5. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

I’ll run all the way back to ‘97:
    1979 Mercury Monarch
    1987 Mercury Topaz
    2000 Honda Civic Si
    1992 Honda Civic CX (with Engine swap from Si)
    1990 Acura Integra LS
    1994? Toyota Tercel
    1992 Volvo 940 Turbo
    2007 Honda Fit
    2005 Honda Civic Hybrid
    Married 2013
    2013 Kia Optima Hybrid Ex
    2013 Honda Civic Hybrid (Leather)
    2017 Kia Niro Ex (current)
    2018 Honda Clarity (current)

Looking to replace the Niro with a full BEV that would cost under $300/month and has a TSP rating from IIHS ideally.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  6. maguzma

maguzma New Member

Current: 2018 Clarity Touring (silver)
    last vehicles:
    - 2016 Lexus GS350 Fsport
    - 2014 MBZ E-350 Sport
    - 2012 MBZ E-350 Sport
    - 2008 Infiniti M35 (bought used in 2009 with only 4K miles on it)
    - 2006 Hyundai Sonata Limited (first year of new body style and V6)
    - 2003 MBZ C260

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Rich Shaffer

Rich Shaffer New Member

2013 Ford C Max Energi Plug in. Only around 20 miles of electric range. Really liked that car, but wanted more range.

9. Sdstork

Sdstork New Member

Same here. Liked my cmax too but range wasn’t near what I wanted or needed.

10. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Unlike the Volt which runs the engine as needed to prevent fuel from sitting in the tank for more than 1 year, the Clarity seems more than willing to let the gas sit forever. It does run a System Check periodically, but no where near enough to empty the tank in a year, at least for me. My Clarity has gone over 6 months and 5,000 miles in EV and has not lost a bar on the fuel gauge. If you hardly ever have an HV trip, then you will need to address the “stale gas” issue either with Stabil or by purposely running the engine. I would think that if you use a tank every month or two that you’ll be OK and not have to worry about it.
    I’m on the far, far end of the EV/HV ratio, so I’m using Stabil and may even have to push the dreaded HV button this year if I don’t take a long trip soon.

11. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

2014 Mazda 6 GT. I loved that car and had a sort of buyer's remorse the first week, missing some stuff like the backing crosstraffic alert, the commanding knob, the lumbar support and especially it's looks, but after three weeks without stopping at the pump and slowly unveiling this car's secrets I'm not looking back anymore

MPower likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Clarity808

Clarity808 New Member

2006 Prius to 2011 LEAF SL to 2012 Prius Advance Plug-n. Bought 2018 Touring 2 weeks ago. Great car. Also have BOLT Premier.

14. GV Ottawa

GV Ottawa Member

2014 Prius V for me.

What I find interesting is that in HV mode on the highway I get better fuel economy with my Clarity (usually just under 5 l/100km) than I ever did with my Prius V (usually just under 6 l/100km).

Loving my Clarity - averaging 2.3 l/100km over my first 25000 km!!

15. 2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with the 6 speed manual. Heavily modified with 37" tires and averaged 12-14mpg. Much less than that when on a trail. I decided to retire it to weekends and outdoor adventures as I put over 56k miles in the 3 years I've owned it and want to enjoy it for many years to come.

16. jack.

jack. New Member

2009 Honda Fit with about 100k miles. I drove it for 10 years and loved it. It still had plenty of life left in it but I put solar panels on my house recently and the price of a Clarity after all of the dealer and tax incentives was just way too good to pass up.

17. Mike95465

Mike95465 Member

2010 Honda Insight
    Had 270k miles when I upgraded to the Clarity. No issues at all with the Insight, probably would’ve made it another 100k. Still was getting me 43 MPG on highways. Great little commuter car. Clarity is just better in every way I need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. RickSE

RickSE Active Member

I traded in my 2016 Accord Touring with 33k miles. That car +$900 got me my Clarity Touring with an 8 year warranty.

KentuckyKen likes this.
  19. Cedar1

Cedar1 New Member

2005 Infiniti G35X - so far I kept it as well for the AWD capability.

20. HagerHedgie

HagerHedgie Member

‘04 Prius traded at 190k miles
    ‘13 Prius- still have it (paid for)
    ‘15 civic hybrid lease swapped for my Clarity
    I would love to have a BEV next. I’m looking forward to all the new BEV options we should have in the next 5 years.

21. 2002

2002 Well-Known Member

A lot of VIN numbers starting with “J” in my life for some reason.

When I first saw the Clarity it somehow looked familiar, especially the back end. No I wasn't thinking of the original Honda Insight, or the GM EV1, it was something else. Then I suddenly realized it reminded me of my very first car, a 1977 Datsun 200SX.

Datsun 200SX 1978.jpg

My parents bought me the Datsun when I started college, I wound up making the last two years of payments and then owning it. My next car was a used Chrysler that I bought from my uncle. Then after that I continued the unintended tradition of purchasing only new cars manufactured in Japan:

1992 Camry wagon. The sedan was made in Kentucky but the wagon was made in Japan.

2002 Prius. My forum name is in tribute to this memorable car. The same model year as the Prius that is in the Henry Ford Museum (guess they couldn't find a pristine 2001).

2006 Prius. Thirteen flawless years of driving. Came with a backup camera and three-door smart key! Only high end Lexus and Cadillacs had those features back then.

2018 Clarity Touring - has the same number of windows as the Prius and the Space Shuttle (eleven, to save you from running out to your garage and counting).

22. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Wouldn’t that be 12 counting the one behind the rear seat? (2 trunk windows)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  23. The Gadgeteer

The Gadgeteer Active Member

I count 4 on each side, windshield, rear window, trunk window. That’s 11.