Temporarily disabling security alarm?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by tim, May 28, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. tim

tim Member

Sometimes I run to the store and let my wife or teenage kids sit in the car. After I wander far enough from the car with the key fob in my pocket, my wife or kids will open the car door to get out. At that point, the car horn starts blaring until I notice and silence the alarm.

Is there a way to temporarily disable the alarm for this type of situation so that the kids can open the door with triggering the alarm?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

If your wife has the other key fob, she can cancel it with her fob or by pressing the power button.
    If no fob is available, try exiting and walking out of range while a passenger has a door open. Or I think if a door is unlocked by a passenger before the ~15 second arming sequence is over that it won’t arm.
    I think that works, but I rarely have a passenger that I may not be remembering correctly from a year ago. Try it and let us know.

4. izudin

izudin Member

MA
    Or, he could just leave the key with them (hoping they would not drive away ...)

5. dnb

dnb Active Member

Can't you just unlock the car? When you walk away you have it turned on to auto lock the car, so just unlock it and it shouldn't set off the alarm.

6. ClarityBill

ClarityBill Active Member

I gave up on the auto-lock feature, and just push the little black button when I want to lock.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

I think with auto lock set that it will automatically relock in 30 seconds if you don’t open a door. (Page 139)

9. rodeknyt

rodeknyt Active Member

If the wife has the other key fob in the car, the car won't lock and the alarm won't set.

KentuckyKen likes this.
  10. ClarityPHEVer

ClarityPHEVer Member

I don’t think that’s true. I’ve gotten in my car, and after sitting there a while without starting the car, it locked itself and I set off the alarm when I opened the door. Of course I had the fob, so I just had to dig it out of my pocket and turn off the alarm.

My recommendation would be to have them press the unlock button on the door handle before opening the door. Or leave them the fob so they can disable the alarm preferably before opening the door and setting it off.

11. rodeknyt

rodeknyt Active Member

That looks like a malfunction. The car is not supposed to self-lock is there is a fob inside and there isn't another fob outside within the 3-5 foot range to be detected.

12. To remove this ad click here.