Turning off side camera pic, Right turn at a light

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by sniwallof, May 11, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. sniwallof

sniwallof Active Member

This was probably discussed before, but just in case,

I think most people know that you can turn on the side mirror camera, on demand, by pressing the button at the end of the stalk.

I have found annoying situations such as looking at a map, then losing the map picture because the right turn indicator is started (causing the right hand mirror pic to come on).

Not sure why it took me so long, but what I realized today, is that you can also press that same button to turn the right side picture OFF (even while the turn indicator is on).

Pegsie, vin seeram and 2002 like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Daniel M W

Daniel M W Member

Yes, totally agree. When using the GPS, it will "cover" the map, in the worst moments. I'm doing what you describe for long time ago.

4. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

And in the settings menu you can turn off the right turn camera completely.

5. David in TN

David in TN Well-Known Member

...and then activate it when you want by pressing the button on the end of the turn signal stalk. This is how I have mine set. It stays off until the button is pressed.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Inside EVs mobile app

ukon, ClarityDoc, vin seeram and 2 others like this.
  6. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

I have that stupid camera off completely with the same reason as Daniel. I found it easier to just activate it when needed.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. dnb

dnb Active Member

FYI you can have the GPS directions show up on the drivers center info hud which is better than the main one. Its just the next turn or w/e, but very useful and won't get covered up by anything.

9. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

Unless you are a short person and most of the DII is obscured ed by the steering wheel.

10. dnb

dnb Active Member

You should be able to reposition the steering wheel's height, but sure

JustAnotherPoorDriver likes this.
  11. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

Just gives me a choice of which section of the DII I want to see. Decided to use the position that would be the least likely to subject me to maiming or death by air bag.

insightman likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. 2002

2002 Well-Known Member

Although the turn indicators cover up whatever information you were displaying on the driver information screen. That screen has useful information available like EV range, power distribution, audio information, the same info as on the big display but it is nice having that information front and center, especially if I have the big screen on something else like Nav. I was getting annoyed at first by the turn indicators covering things up that I was monitoring, especially when stopped in a turn lane but it still keeps indicating the turn while meanwhile blocking what I wanted to see.

Then I discovered that just one press of the info screen button turns off the turn indicator and you go back to what you were displaying before, at least until the next turn comes up.

Driver info button.PNG

14. OCBadger

OCBadger New Member

Thanks for the tip! I frequently use carplay, and realized this is an issue too. Glad there is a way to turn off the camera.

15. sniwallof

sniwallof Active Member

I think (?) GPS direction in the drivers display is only available with built in NAV on the touring model. So, it's a no-go for Android / Apple Nav on the base model.

16. dnb

dnb Active Member

I have the "base" model and it works for me with Android Auto

17. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

+2 I have the "base" model and it works for me using Android Auto with either Waze or Google Maps as well.

18. sniwallof

sniwallof Active Member

I should not have guessed they work the same, so (base model) you can do Nav in the driver display with Android Auto. Do you get the Nav arrow and distance with the phone icon using the "i" button? I do not see a Nav icon, base Clarity, with Apple CarPlay.

Apple CarPlay?

I just tried both Apple maps and WAZE again in Apple Carplay and see no way to see the arrow and distance to turn in the driver display. Does anyone get Apple CarPlay Nav (the arrow and distance to turn) in the driver console in addition to the center display? (I could be missing something).

Reviewed the owner's manual - I see the setting near trip meters for turn by turn, but there is a footnote, not all models (I don't see that option on my 2018 base).

Also, on my first touring, I used to get the nav on driver's console by the compass/Nav icon, which is gone now (but, that was the built-in Nav).

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  19. dnb

dnb Active Member

I don't have the option to use CarPlay since no ios devices, but for Android it did ask me if I wanted to send it to the dash as well. So check the options maybe you have to enable it to show on the dash.

20. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

It's a CarPlay issue. Apple does not allow the system to get that information unfortunately.

21. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

There was a period when Android Auto stopped sending the turn info to the DII. I think it was after an update of Android Auto or HondaLink. There is actually a thread with references to this situation. Then there was a subsequent app update and the problem was solved.

I have the base model and use Android Auto and get the turn info on the DII using Google Maps (haven't tried Waze). Can't remember what the setting is to get it to show. Make sure both your apps are updated to the latest version.