High-Pitched Motor Noise

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by SeanH, Apr 29, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ajstjacques

ajstjacques Member

I've unplugged it 3 days ago and never got any error, even ran a diagnostic and the car didn't report any malfunction.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Is that the plug/connector(looks like about 4 wires) way under the gap at the front end between the hood latch and the rad? (picture?)

4. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

My hearing isn't the best, but to me the VESS starts to diminish in volume beyond a certain point and is inaudible inside the cabin at around 27 km/h.

electriceddy likes this.
  5. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

That's it, but it is 8 wires, only 4 can be seen. I can't seem to unlock the connector but some people have. I have taken a picture if you want it.

electriceddy and eastpole like this.
  6. Sure a picture would be nice before I attempt to unplug something else

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. For those without a VESS switch it seems far better to add one, provided you have the skills to do this. The wires are likely in place, use a momentary pushbutton in series with a 200 ohm resistor to short the wires going to pins 7 and 12 at the back of the switchblock connector (where the Auto Unlock button is.)

electriceddy likes this.
  9. Do you have access to a service manual?

10. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

The only thing im worried about.
    Why so many wires (8)?

11. justfortheride

justfortheride New Member

Hi everyone,

I just noticed the high pitched engine sound today. I'm in the lower mainland, have approx 1000km on the car. The noise sounds exactly like this video which was posted by another user. From my driving this morning is seems as though it happens when:
    1) I'm driving above 40km/h and come to a stop, the last coupe of seconds before fully stopping you can hear it "whine" down
    2) Upon take off, you here it "whine" up
    3) If driving slowly for example, 25 km/hr or less and then paddle break - no sound.
    *note this has all been using regeneration/paddle breaking... I'll test with friction breaks later today and report back.

To hear it, radio must be off and no loud traffic around. It's definitely a new sound, and I know this because I had read this forum and read about the noise and purposefully was listening for it prior to today and didn't hear it. It doesn't sound mechanical in the traditional way (i.e. like metal or something) and I'm quite confident it is not the VESS because #3... we wondered if it could be the regen breaks or something to do with how the engine is powering down or up?

I'm wondering has anyone determined what it is?
    Have others took a listen to your own Kona to see if you hear it?

BlueSal and electriceddy like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. KonaTom

I did unplug another by mistake. But here’s the photo of the right one
    upload_2019-5-7_9-27-53.jpeg

14. KonaTom

Let me know if you can figure out how to unlock it. I have given up trying

InspiredSquare and electriceddy like this.
  15. Brennan Raposo

Brennan Raposo Well-Known Member

Nothing determined yet that I’m aware of. I’ve been watching forums like a hawk. It’s definitely not VESS related, I still hear the high-pitch sound past the range of VESS.

Mine has, without a doubt gotten worse in the last couple of weeks. I can now hear it with music off inside the cabin while the windows are up. And it’s significantly louder and a lot more noticeable with the windows down.

I’ve gone out for lunch with colleagues and purposely not said a word just to see how long/if they notice. Every person I’ve driven with has noticed and made a comment about the noise. Hyundai HAS to do something about this. This cannot be “normal” and more and more people are beginning to complain about it.

Does anyone have a Hyundai global/ Hyundai Canada email address? I can’t seem to find anything and therefore have no idea how Hyundai will come to know and resolve this issue.

Sam Sohmer and justfortheride like this.
  16. EnerG

EnerG Active Member

I think I am an involuntary member of this club as well. This is very noticeable with the windows down or the sunroof open. Once you notice it, you can't unhear it.

17. Mileage ?

18. justfortheride

justfortheride New Member

Just following up on the friction break thing: Yes, the sound is still certainly there. Although, there is some regen that occurs with the friction break at times, which means it wouldn't necessarily rule out components related to the regen. Not much else to add at this time, I've not yet taken it in to get looked at. I'll update if I learn anything new, hoping to take it in soonish.

Brennan Raposo likes this.
  19. EnerG

EnerG Active Member

6000km.
    I am leaning toward it being coil whine. From a start the noise gains in amplitude as the vehicle accelerates and diminishes on deceleration as the friction brakes take over. Similar to the coil whine of a 3-phase AC motor when used with a VFD except this is a "dirtier" or raspier type of ringing.
    As I drive past cars or obstacles I can hear the noise reflected.

electriceddy likes this.
  20. If you are talking about the "moaning ghosts" sound that is inherent with these vehicles, it definitely sounds the same as your VFD scenario.
    That sound happens as soon as you put it into gear without any application of accelerator.

21. EnerG

EnerG Active Member

No it can be heard over the VESS sound. As I recall it is also present when VESS shuts down after 38kph. I intend to unplug the VESS module and give it a try when the weather improves.

Brennan Raposo and eastpole like this.
  22. wizziwig

wizziwig Active Member

As an alternative to finding and unplugging the VESS connector, you can also just temporarily pull the fuse. It's under the fuse cover inside the cabin. Look in the owner manual and you will see a diagram of which fuse is used by VESS. Unfortunately, that fuse controls a larger module of electronics so you will also lose some other non-essential functions of the car (smart cruise, etc.) while you do your noise testing.

InspiredSquare and EnerG like this.