Has anyone driven A Clarity Phoenix to Flagstaff?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by tom kirshbaum, Apr 15, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Geor99

Geor99 Active Member

You're like me: a 2 charge per day person:)

How many charging cycles do you think we're good For? At our rate, the numbers rise quickly.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. S L .

S L . Active Member

I live in Los angeles and drove the clarity to sedona in the summer last year and to flagstaff last month (had a little snow).

Just make sure your battery is not depleted, use hv mode and drive like a normal car. No angry bees. No problem going up hill.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

4. tom kirshbaum

tom kirshbaum New Member

Thank you!

5. markc

markc New Member

As has been said many times, do not overthink these things. There is some very sophisticated software managing the car's power system, just let it do its job. We also regularly drive west from Denver and that is a 6000 foot climb. We find the Clarity to be no noisier than our Sonata Hybrid and it is certainly quieter than our other vehicles. If you are coming from a pure electric then everything is going to be louder, it is just the nature of these things. If we know we are going more than 50 miles we put the car in HV from the very beginning. I do try not to let the battery run all the way down; keep in mind that the gas engine is essentially a Honda motorcycle engine, and those can rev very high indeed, and so it is deigned to always have help from the electric motor. Mess with that balance and the car is less happy.

6. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

Markc, I agree, no need to overthink it. I'm planning on driving my Clarity from OKC to Ruidoso, NM in the fall and plan to run it almost exclusively in HV mode. This is an altitude change from 1200' to 6920', but a gradual incline most of the way. I expect to never hear 'angry bees' and hope to see ~45mpg during the trip.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. There are a number of cars that are capable of commuting 50 miles between charges. The Clarity is one.

Few of them are capable of going 100, 200 or 300 miles without a thought. Even fewer, are able to travel 700 miles in 10 hours, as our Clarity did, without needing to make 2, 1 hour charge stops.

The Clarity is also currently eligible for approximately $14K in dealer, federal and state/local incentives.

It is an incredible car and you may have underestimated its abilities.

9. Current lithium batteries are capable of retaining 70% of their original capacity after providing 3000-5000 charge cycles.

If this is your M-F car, 2 full charges per day would take 6-10 years to reach those numbers. At which point you would theoretically have a 35 mile range.

You also have the option with the Clarity of not completely depleting your batteries 2X per day.

insightman likes this.
  10. Geor99

Geor99 Active Member

Mlm
    Hopefully, Honda put some cushioning into the software, like I understand GM did with the volt.

This way we may see a lot more than 70% of the rated ev mileage from the battery after those 1,000s of discharges- due to the degradation being hidden due to software cushioning.

It is years too soon to worry about this; but does anyone know how the 10 year battery warranty here in California works?

Do we get a free or subsidized battery replacement if our battery life is under a certain number of miles?

Or is it a free/cheap replacement if we are under x% of the 55amp-hours from a battery capacity test? Is the installation free/less as well?

I can imagine people on the borderline trying to deeply discharge their batteries in year 9 in order to get under whatever the limit is.

I haven't seen any degradation, as my vehicle is still under a year old.

This may be a question better to post in 2025:)

chris5168 likes this.
  11. Steven B

Steven B Active Member

Based on the limited degradation we've seen thus far, a replacement will be rarely necessary for anyone's battery. It has to fall below 36.6Ah from 55Ah within 10 yrs in Cal or 8 yrs everywhere else (Honda policy, but similar % for other mfrs). Science says the degradation curve is steeper for the first few hundred charges and then less steep for the remainder of its life. Projecting forward the curve shows the age to be much more than 10 yrs. Galvanic corrosion between the (coated) steel and aluminum components will probably cause the car to fall apart before the battery needs replacing.

I'm sure the same bloke that ran his car empty could devise a way to always charge his car in a 150F oven (or -10F roll-in freezer) and get it to degrade faster.

12. To remove this ad click here.