Kia Niro EV Owners Manual and accessing UVO

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by Domenick, Apr 20, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Starting this thread to help owners find a copy of the Owners Manual and other documentation, as well as point them to Kia's infotainment and telematics service called UVO (which apparently means "Your voice.")

Here is a direct link to the Owners Manual (PDF).

You can also access it and quick guides, videos, and warranty information through the Kia owners app. Download for the IOS version or the Android version.

You can also get manuals, recalls, and other info from Kia's Owners Portal.

In the U.S. owners should get the UVO service for 3 years free (after that they say there's a subscription to extend it). It seems there is a slightly separate app for that called UVO Eco.
    Download for the IOS version or the Android version.

UVO Eco features include:
    1. Remote commands: Lock or unlock your car, start or stop the climate control, or start or stop a charge.
    2. Vehicle Status: View real-time information about your vehicle's battery, range, door locks, and climate control.
    3. Reservation: Schedule when your vehicle should charge and when your climate control should run.
    4. Find My Car: Find the location of the vehicle and navigate to it.
    5. Find Charging Stations: View a map of the charging stations in your area.
    6. Roadside Assist: Contact Kia Roadside Assistance Program with just one click.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Lektrons

Lektrons Active Member

Hi,
    I can't register my car yet, keeps saying put in a valid VIN. Oh the problems of having a pre-order. :)

Domenick likes this.
  4. MaBeBi

MaBeBi New Member

Are there any news about that ?

5. Wayne C

Wayne C New Member

Thank You Domenick.

6. CR EV

CR EV Active Member

Not sure about the 3 years...every time I access the portal website, I get the following note: "Your current free trial will expire on 10/30/2020. Learn how to continue enjoying your UVO features beyond your free trial." I read somewhere that the Hyundai Kona gets three years, but the Kia only one. In my state, the Kona was not available, only the Kia...which I'm fine with, but these differentiations between corporate siblings are annoying.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. CR EV

CR EV Active Member

When I click the extend beyond the free trial link that I referenced in my earlier post, I get the options below....a bit much, I think.

upload_2020-3-3_9-6-51.png

9. ITown

ITown Active Member

Yup... More than $250/year to be able to remotely control climate & unlock your car... Rip-off unless you're locking your keys in your car several times every year.

10. CR EV

CR EV Active Member

So, if anybody has any insight on actually getting 3 years free, all ears here...

11. wizziwig

wizziwig Active Member

I don't think it's physically possible to leave the keys locked in the car. A loud tone plays if you try to lock the doors via door-handle-button and they remain unlocked. The app unlock would only be useful if you actually lost the keys outside the car.

Agree the pricing is ridiculous. Once they realize nobody is going to sign up, they will probably drop price. For me, the only feature I might miss would be alarm notifications and remote charge scheduling. The most important feature to me is remote charge start/stop and completion notification. These options are free for 5 years.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I also noticed if the door is open, but the key is in the car, the door locking mechanism will undo itself if I try to lock it with my finger. cute. I have wondered how smart key systems can tell the difference between the key inside the cabin, vs. just outside. Somehow they know.

14. CR EV

CR EV Active Member

Maybe it's just my Niro, but I drove a few miles a couple days ago; had, oh, about 75% showing on the dashboard. Today, just because I've had this issue before, I accessed the UVO app on my PC and even after asking for a refresh got this:
    upload_2020-4-23_9-53-21.png

Clearly UVO loses contact regularly. I wouldn't pay a dime for it at this point.

15. davidtm

davidtm Active Member

Yeah, this does happen occasionally. I agree about not paying for it after the first year. I'll miss pre-conditioning, and switch over to programming charges in the car itself or my Juice Box Pro instead.

16. I would pay a dollar or two a month for it. Have not needed it lately, but sometimes I am far away from where it is plugged in. It is nice to be able to check on it. I have used preconditioning once or twice, but do not need that by any stretch of the imagination

17. CR EV

CR EV Active Member

Current sale on UVO...still a bit much, particularly at the upper end (the lower end, wouldn't bother):
    upload_2020-7-10_10-32-19.png

upload_2020-7-10_10-32-53.png

18. CR EV

CR EV Active Member

upload_2020-10-1_9-35-25.png

Just got the above from KIA since I'm coming up on the end of my free year....too expensive and even the Lite is only free for 5 years...

jeff_h likes this.
  19. davidtm

davidtm Active Member

Yep, not worth it.

20. Free is good!

21. CR EV

CR EV Active Member

They have extended the sale on UVO till December. Still can't connect from my home (what cell service is it anyway?)...not renewing.

Sale:

upload_2020-10-26_8-37-5.png

22. CR EV

CR EV Active Member

I am officially into the Lite package after the end of my free year. Cell connection is very spotty to my home carport ...sometimes I can connect, often not. Does anyone know what cell service UVO uses? I have had Verizon and Xfinity service (which uses the Verizon towers) and both are OK where I live, but not great. A visiting son has Project Fi (Google) which seems to work OK but with fewer bars. Curious...

23. SAM1130

SAM1130 New Member

How useful is the view charging stations feature?