Using Fumoto valves on Clarity or Hondas in general?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Clarity_Newbie, Oct 10, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Clarity_Newbie

Clarity_Newbie Active Member

Anyone use fumoto valves on their Clarity or Honda vehicle? I've read on some Honda vehicles the oil drain plugs are recessed thus requiring an adapter.

Thoughts?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

I’ve used those in every car I’ve owned and told my son to put one in my Christmas stocking. I found the Clarity uses the standard size for all Honda’s. The Clarity is not listed on their website but just plug in (bad pun) an Accord and order that one. Don’t know about our Claritys needing the adapter, but my CR-V didn’t need one. As long as there is room to rotate it tight with the small lever protruding to the side you’re go to go. I’ll use the nipple with a length of tubing to make sure no oil spills on the underbody to the front of the removable panel.

PS: I’ve never had one leak and boy howdy does it make oil changes easier. Well worth the price for those of us who change their own oil, even though now I’m only doing so once a year.
    When I win the lottery, I’ll have a grease pit out in my garage because why not spend tens of thousands of $ to save $10 on your oil change.

MPower and Clarity_Newbie like this.
  4. RobC2

RobC2 New Member

I had one on my S2000 for seven years. No leaks or any other issues. It was great to change the oil from the top without having to jack it up.

Clarity_Newbie and KentuckyKen like this.
  5. Atkinson

Atkinson Active Member

I have had one on my Prius for 8 years and had no issues.
    Impossible to over-tighten or damage drain plug threads and one less tool to bring out to the driveway.
    I would like to get one for the Clarity.

Clarity_Newbie and KentuckyKen like this.
  6. Atkinson

Atkinson Active Member

Just bought one on Amazon, I'll find out Saturday if it fits.

Clarity_Newbie likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Clarity_Newbie

Clarity_Newbie Active Member

lol...mine comes Saturday as well...might be too late in the day to put it on though so keep me posted.

The Fumoto site mentioned perhaps needing a adapter for the Clarity. Keep me posted.

Good luck!

9. KentuckyKen

My bad. Hadn’t been on their site in a while. The Clarity is now listed on their pull down menu options. It’s the F106 Series. I’m going to lift And use jacks to see which one will fit the best.

10. Atkinson

Atkinson Active Member

I still can't see Clarity on the Fumoto website.
    Not sure what I am doing wrong, but I can't even pull up 2018 model year search.
    I picked the same F106 series you (Ken) recommended based on Honda Fit 1.5 liter.
    My dilemma (that only occurred to me after I received the valve) is that since I just changed O/F, I have to choose between capturing oil in a fresh pan and re-using it or grabbing another 3.5 qts.
    btw, the oil was pretty nasty looking at 6K miles, so I didn't feel bad about changing it (no analysis or accuracy to that statement, just eyeballs).
    Full disclosure: there is the possibility that Honda additives for factory fill made the oil look dark.

11. KentuckyKen

Based on a lot of late night Goggle-fru on many sites, forums, and blogs, the general consensus seems to be that Honda uses regular oil with no additives for factory fill (FF). The FF oil can appear darker because of the assembly lubricants used on various parts. They get diluted into the normal FF oil as the engine runs, so it’s practically the same effect as adding “break-in” additives to the FF oil.
    FWIW, my oil at 7 months and only 11 hours on the ICE, still looks like honey.

Why not hold on to the Fumoto valve and wait to install it at next oil change? Easier on our backs, wallet, and environment. That’s what I’m doing.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Atkinson

Atkinson Active Member

It is said that the better part valor is discretion and the better part of discretion is patience, that patience is a virtue and the foundation of virtue is humility.
    That being the case I have to humbly admit that, lacking the above qualities in any measure, I just couldn't wait till the next oil change to install the drain valve.
    Requires a 17mm wrench and 18 foot pounds to install.
    The F106SX fits with clearance to spare with the valve pointing down, but other angles will also work.
    I wanted best drain path with least horizontal distance.
    An adapter would be needed for some clock positions that regrettably I forgot to note.
    Most positions are fine with no adapter.
    Straight down is interesting because there is a hole in the engine bay shield placed just right for connecting a hose.
    Obviously, that won't help unless there is a way to change the oil filter with the shield in place, but there is the cool factor of everything lining up.
    If you get an SX series like I did, be aware that you need a snap on nipple *if* you want to add a hose (not necessary for me).
    The integrated nipple is probably too short to hold a hose securely (haven't tried this).
    The valve comes with a security clip that I don't think will be needed based on experience with my Prius, but is added security.
    Thank-you Ken for the drain plug cross-reference info, without which I would not have made the purchase!

KentuckyKen and V8Power like this.
  14. V8Power

V8Power Active Member

Thanks for this. Any photos you could share with it installed?

15. KentuckyKen

@Atkinson, I’m glad you couldn’t wait because now I know for sure it fits the slightly recessed area without needing adapters (didn’t want to wait but also didn’t want to have to pay 2 shipping charges if I needed an adapter). Just ordered mine and spent a dollar on the little black cap for the outlet (not really needed, but why not). I have the plastic nipple and hose left over from a Tacoma but I don’t think it will be necessary. The 90 degree clockable design gives a strait shot down on the SX, but I bet it drains slightly slower.

I have to ask 3 questions:
    1. Was the 18 ft/lbs of torque with the Fumoto supplied fiber washer or with the Honda aluminum crush washer? As in is it a Honda or Fumoto spec?

2. Is the filter wrench size 65mm?

3. Do you experience the same inability to keep that shiny Fumoto valve in its package until the next oil change when you’re waiting to open your Christmas presents? Or do you feel compelled to open 1 early? :)

16. Atkinson

Atkinson Active Member

1. I had no washer included; there is a captive o-ring that seals against the oil pan.
    18 ft/lbs is a Fumoto spec.
    2. Not sure, I use a pair of vise grips with a large C-shaped surround jaw that fit my Prius filter as well as the Clarity filter.
    3. Busted!

17. Atkinson

Atkinson Active Member

I should have, but I was trying to get the job done before my wife got back from her friend's house.
    I can tell you it does look good.

18. V8Power

V8Power Active Member

Just installed a Fumoto f106sx today because maintenance minder called for an A 1 9 so time for the car’s very first oil change. It fits perfect and does not interfere with anything. Makes oil changing going forward faster, easier and cleaner with the valve pointing straight down now versus Honda’s horizontal hole. Very happy with it made in Japan high quality .

Also, the oil after 9 months after running 3 full tanks of gas (EV mostly) was not clean so confirming the maintenance minder appears to be on the money. Other discussions questioned the need to change oil even after low run hours. See the dirty oil photos. Not surprising being the first oil change. Judge for yourself.

Amazon good price: https://amzn.to/2IwwyAp

Here’s some photos:
    IMG_1457.JPG
    IMG_1458.JPG IMG_1459.JPG IMG_1460.JPG IMG_1461.JPG IMG_1474.JPG IMG_1466.JPG IMG_1468.JPG IMG_1473.JPG
    View attachment 4502

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    thecompdude likes this.
  19. V8Power

V8Power Active Member

IMG_1465.JPG
    Retry, previous post for this photo didn’t seem to work. Says I don’t have permission to view after posting but I posted...?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

20. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

Thanks to this thread, I ordered a Fumoto F106N today. Will have it ready to go on my first oil change.

21. KentuckyKen

Sorry for the late reply. First oil change in Feb at 1 yr and 7672 miles as prompted by the MM. I only had about 700 miles in HV and only 12.6 hours of ICE operation. So I’m greater than 90% EV and the ICE has had very little usage but I’m obeying the all powerful MM to keep the Honda warranty gods happy if I ever have an ICE related claim.
    I installed the F106SX so thoughtfully documented by @Atkinson and @V8Power above. I just got so excited, that I forgot to take pictures and post.

I suggest the newer model F106SX over the F106N because
    1. It seals with o-rings and not by a washer between it and the oil pan.
    2. It lets you swivel the outlet port to any position very easily. (Straight down easy to achieve; see @V8Power’s pix)
    3. It’s only $4 more.

Only downside is that you will need a torque wrench to properly install to 18 ft/lbs.
    Also, buy the SH-10 straight socket for $1 at the same time if you do want to attach a vinyl tube to the short valve nipple. It snaps on and it makes it a lot easier. It takes 1/2” OD (3/16” ID). You don’t really need it but I use a short length of tubing to direct the oil into a gal milk jug without splashing. You can buy the tubing by the foot at hardware stores or Fumoto will sell you more than you need for $3.

Except for needing ramps and/or jacks, it’s an easy peasy job. There’s plenty or room after removing the cover. Hardest part of the whole job is remembering where you put the dang socket adapter/tubing from a year ago!
    Here’s the socket adapter with some tubing that I use:
    9F6311F6-08B0-4E46-836F-5A1D99636184.jpeg

Mowcowbell and V8Power like this.
  22. Richard_arch74

Richard_arch74 Active Member

@KentuckyKen, did I miss your post of your oil analysis?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Inside EVs mobile app

23. KentuckyKen

Mea culpa. I’ll check on that and will post in this thread.