Oil Change 2 1/2 hours

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by jdonalds, Apr 19, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

My experience with the Clarity needing an oil change hasn't been called for more often than I estimated. The first call for an oil change (A01 service I think it is called) was at about 4,000 miles which I thought was reasonable. Yes the engine hadn't run much but I think changing the oil on a new engine soon after it's new is reasonable.

Now the car has 27K miles and is 16 months old. So in for another oil change. I have been reluctant to use Jiffy Lube just so I don't void any warranty conditions. BUT, after waiting a week to show up for my appointment, it took the Honda dealer 2 1/2 hours to simply change the oil. Jiffy Lube from now on.

I asked the service technician if there would be any warranty issues if I used Jiffy Lube and he said it would be fine. I'll just make sure to keep records.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. David in TN

David in TN Well-Known Member

Don't go when they are taking a two hour lunch! :p

4. Heino

Heino Active Member

I will continue to do my own oil changes like I have always done on my vehicles. No need for an appointment, and no need to wait around. I just have to make sure the ramps I own clear the front of the car.

AnthonyW and fotomoto like this.
  5. ClarityDoc

ClarityDoc Active Member

Well, I can understand how you feel. I just take the first morning slot, and it's usually very fast. They have good Wi-Fi, and free coffee, so I just do some work.

Sent using Inside EVs mobile app

6. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

20 minutes in the garage at home. I can get it done in less time than it takes me to simply drive to the dealer...

It’s an incredibly simple oil change.

fotomoto likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. My first oil change was free at Economy Honda in Chattanooga. Took about an hour, including a vehicle inspection checklist. Going forward, I’ll do my own as I do on all our vehicles.

9. ClarityBill

ClarityBill Active Member

What ramps will clear the front of this low-rider?

10. leehinde

leehinde Active Member

I got prompted for my 2nd oil change at about 15,000 miles and am now told the next one would be in 4 months (which would be about 20,000 miles.) I tend to do the service at the dealer while the car is under warranty because in the past they've just fixed things they've found that needed fixing. I've got less faith in the current dealership for that service.

Unrelated, I was up in your neck of the woods (Redding) a few weeks ago and topped off at Target. :)

11. jdonalds

I changed my own oil for decades but at the age of 72 I give up.

4sallypat likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. jdonalds

We noticed they put charge stations at Target. How'd that work out for you? It is a cost rather than free service correct?

14. leehinde

leehinde Active Member

Yes, And I think it probably would have been cheaper to self-charge on my way back to Sac and refill the gas at a Pilot on the way. But I prefer to start a trip charged, so I bought some peace of mind.

While I was there a couple dropped off their Bolt at the fast charger. 57634806445__C9BDE3F6-35E9-4A39-99DE-ED315E1D33E3.jpg

(this is a tangent on the thread, my apologies to the sysadmins)
    (and yet, I did it... :) )

15. I’ve had that issue with our Ford Flex. I just use pieces of 4x4’s and appropriate short boards to lift the front just enough to allow easier access.

16. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Just a reminder that in the good old US of A, the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act of 1975 specifically prohibits any manufacturer from voiding a warranty if you don’t use their maintenance service or their parts as long as the repairs and parts meet the manufacturer’s standards.

So we are all free to use any oil change shop, any mechanic, or DIY as long as we use parts (oil and filter in this case) that meet Honda’s requirements. Just be sure to keep all receipts and records as @jdonalds mentioned.

As I close in on @jdonalds’ age, paying my trusted mechanic’s labor and providing my own premium oil and filter starts looking better and better than lifting and jack-stands and disposing of the old oil. I hate getting old, but it do’ beat the alternative.

BC-Doc, 4sallypat and MPower like this.
  17. Clarity_Newbie

Clarity_Newbie Active Member

ClarityBill

Homemade $40 total cost. Stout.

Attached Files:

18. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

I don’t use ramps or jack stands. Too much wasted time. Unload the suspension just a bit by putting a floor jack under the front of one rocker panel. All tires still on the ground. I can Lift the front of car with that single jack enough to reach what I need to. Lay down at front of car and reach under with one arm and pull all shield retainers, plug, and oil filter. Yes it’s safe cuz even if jack fails no body part can be crushed. Car can never bounce low enough to crush an arm, and head never actually goes under the car. As long as some buffoon at the dealer or quickie place never overtorques something before me, it’s a one handed job. Careful planning with all tools in reach means laying down one time and getting all done at once. Then get up and fill it. Likely the fact that I’ve done likely 1000 oil changes in my life makes it easier...I know what all the retainers feel like and how they work without seeing them...just feel.

Tire rotation? 2 floor jacks on one side. Swap tires and eyeball brakes for wear. Again no jack stands just do NOT stick head in wheel well while looking at brakes! That’s what Inspection mirror on a stick is for! In unlikely event jack fails it breaks just the stick and scares the snot outta ya and you have a fun little story! Then after tire install move jacks to other side of car. Impact wrench and compressor do all the real hard work on the lugs. Hand torque all at the end after its back on the ground on all 4 shoes.

19. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

Cheaper to change the oil at the dealer than to do it at home. Same for our Lexus. Only use my lift for oil changes on my old cars.

20. Clarity_Newbie

Clarity_Newbie Active Member

David Towle

That probably depends on the dealer...my local dealer runs "advertised specials" such as...synthetic blend, multi point inspection yadadayadadayadada...only $79.99. Tire rotation extra. Next closest dealer is 150 miles round trip.

Everyone's situation is different. Cheaper for me to change my own oil by about $35 including full synthetic...plus tire rotations are free...lol

Even at my age, I still enjoy the work...keeps me out of trouble.

21. David in TN

David in TN Well-Known Member

I pay $3.29 for full synthetic. $2.59 for filter. 3.5 quarts. $16 for everything, and 0.5 quart left for next time.

About 20 minutes, including cleanup.

How's dealer cheaper?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Inside EVs mobile app

22. David Towle

I enjoy the work too but my dealer's been $12.95 for years so I bring it in.

23. David Towle

Those are good prices for both oil and filters I pay about $5 a quart and $4 a filter at walmart. Auto stores are even more here. I have no idea how my dealer does it for $12.95 except they're gonna rip me off on big stuff.