Electric car charging calculator

Discussion in 'General' started by Denis EVfanboy, Apr 16, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

This calculator is

1. useful

60.0%
  2. useless

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. needs improvement

40.0%
  1. Denis EVfanboy

Denis EVfanboy New Member

Hi,

I'd like to share an EV charging calculator. It shows how much time and money it will take you to charge your electric vehicle.
    https://evcompare.io/charging-calculator/

It looks like this:

Use it if you plan to charge your EV at home, at work or at any AC charging point.
    The calculator is not applicable to DC charging stations, as DC fast charging works a bit differently. We promise to add a separate DC charging calculator in the near future!

How to use it?
    1. Pick your electric car from the dropdown list.
    2. Choose the socket you’re charging from or manually adjust voltage and amperage.
    3. Select how much you would like to charge your car. For example, you car’s battery has 25% left and you want to charge it up to 80%. In this case, move the slider to 65%.
    4. If you want to calculate the cost of charging, fill in how much you pay per kWh of electricity.
    All in all, we hope this calculator made EV charging simple.
    If you find it useful, please share it with your friends.

Your feedback (questions, comments or suggestions) will be appreciated!:)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    electriceddy, MzTeaze and BC-Doc like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. davidtm

davidtm Active Member

Looks good! I would suggest increasing the amperage slider to include at least 40 amps, as some of us may have a 50-amp circuit that could handle up to that.

4. Denis EVfanboy

Thanks, we'll do that.

5. TheMagster

TheMagster Member

This is great! Obviously it is missing the North American standard outlets (120V at 12A for Level 1 charging). Does this also account for the ramp up and ramp down time at each end of the charging cycle? For added convenience, I would also break out the car's current state of charge and desired state of charge into two separate sliders or input boxes. Saves the user from having to do mental arithmetic. An option for miles would be nice too.

If you really want to make this useful, break it out into a stand-alone smartphone app! I would use it from time to time, especially when using free Level 2 charging stations that are dotted around.

I'm also assuming this calculation is based on a brand new car? You have no way to compensate for battery degredation, which will decrease the time to charge as well as the km/hr.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Denis EVfanboy likes this.
  6. Denis EVfanboy

Cool suggestions! Let's call this calculator v1.0. We'll update it with more sockets, sliders and make it offline (to use on mobile) as well as make calculations more precise.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Some thoughts:

1) BMW i3-REx is also available in North America but the App only shows common EU sockets.
    2) Standard Range Plus Model 3 is not listed so I can't test it.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

9. Denis EVfanboy

Please choose the US flag in the upper right corner. The sockets and the list of available models will change.

MzTeaze likes this.
  10. MzTeaze

MzTeaze New Member

Thanks for the link. I think this will be useful for on the fly charging.

Denis EVfanboy likes this.