Spacey sound from hood of car

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by HChannel, Apr 8, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. HChannel

HChannel New Member

Sometimes when I'm parked underground next to a wall or next to any barrier on the driver's side, I hear a spacey sound when I shift to drive or from drive to park. It's not alarming, but almost sounds like the cool, space effects upon starting the car. Has anyone else heard this?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. AlAl

AlAl Active Member

Are you talking about the pedestrian warning sound? The car emits that noise whenever the vehicle is creeping along in EV mode

4. jorgie393

jorgie393 Well-Known Member

I am sure as already noted it’s the pedestrian warning sound. Speaker is behind front bumper on left, so typical to hear it when next to a wall on the left.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

See page 393 of the Owner's Manual for the official name: "Acoustic Vehicle Alerting System". It works in any mode up to a speed of approximately 12 mph. On that page you can also see where Canadian Claritys have a button to put the car into stealth mode that makes it easier to sneak up on pedestrians.

Texas22Step and ClarityDoc like this.
  6. It's "spacey" to remind people crossing the street while staring at their phones that they are about to be reincarnated.

Jason N and 4sallypat like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. TeeVee

TeeVee New Member

I wonder why they did not put a speaker in the back for reversing, like beeping trucks. That seems even more dangerous for pedestrian.

4sallypat likes this.
  9. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

I'm just thankful they haven't done this. I can turn my head and look for pedestrians, that's the driver's job.

10. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

You don't quite realize how silent the car is unless you're outside of it. While driving, there's a lot of tire noise and some wind noise so it's not really much more quiet than a high end ICE Mercedes Benz because modern cars do a great job insulating the cabin from engine noise (many high end cars actually have inside speakers to pipe in engine sounds or even play fake recorded engine sounds!). On the outside, however, it's so quiet that it's downright dangerous without the weird music playing. I was shocked the first time when I was working in the yard and my wife pulled the car out and drove off.

11. Thevenin

Thevenin Member

I'm pretty sure the pedestrian alert sound is based on an aeolian harp. My wife calls it "the ghosty boys."

Not too long ago, a Chevy Volt pulled out of a parking space while my back was turned. It was so silent that it got halfway down the block before I noticed it had moved. Startled the bejeezus out of me. So as superfluous as a pedestrian alert may seem, I grudgingly admit that it's probably necessary for the time being.

Plus, we get ghosty boys. Win-win.

JustAnotherPoorDriver and K8QM like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. TeeVee

TeeVee New Member

Yes, that's the driver's job, but there are more blindspots going in reverse. Luckily, we have a decent backup camera. I think for reverse if there was an optional non-annoying sound then I would enable it. Can never be too safe if you have little kids around. I know someone who backed up onto their 4 year old in a large SUV without backup camera. Really glad that my minivan has a backup camera.

I can't believe the auto manufacturers kept lobbying to delay the mandatory requirement for backup cameras. Every phone has multiple cameras. How much can this add to the cost of a car? Even one that displays as a small box on the rearview mirror is useful.

14. The Gadgeteer

The Gadgeteer Active Member

There is a setting to activate while reversing too

15. Mariner91

Mariner91 Member

Mine works both ways as long as it's below 11 mpg. It came that way

16. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

Does anyone think that an unwitting pedestrian, or possibly a blind person, associate this ghostly drone as anything remotely resembling a car?

Everyone knows what engines sound like. And everyone knows what backup beepers sound like.

But Clarity singing sounds nothing like a car. I frankly fail to see how the particular tone Honda chose offers any safety for pedestrians at all...

It’s just another quirk about the car to show your friends.

17. vin seeram

vin seeram Member

Most likely, plenty of research went into the sound. The volt seems to make a similar sound.

18. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Well, at least it’s better than what Jaguar tried. I read an article that said they spent a lot of R&D money on a pedestrian warning sound and then found out it sounded so much like a UFO that it caused people to look up instead of looking for an approaching vehicle. They had to scrap the whole project.

IMHO, new gasmobiles are so quiet at low speed that the regulations for pedestrian warning sounds should apply to all vehicles not just EVs. Or maybe I’ve just lost too much hearing.

Walt R, Jaketesla and insightman like this.
  19. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

I think it's a failure of the world-wide automotive industry, and governments, not to have standardized the sound that quiet cars make to warn pedestrians. It's not only electric cars that can be so quiet so it should apply to any car that emits sound below a given level.

Domenick, Jaketesla and TeeVee like this.
  20. TeeVee

TeeVee New Member

The speaker is only in the front though, so hard to hear from behind.

21. Umm Yeah

Umm Yeah New Member

Personally, I'm waiting for the day when they allow people to choose their pedestrian warning sounds like they choose their ringtones. You know it's going to happen at some point...

22. Mariner91

Mariner91 Member

The sound isn't that loud even if you had your head close to where the speaker. It's a badly designed no matter how you look at/hear it.

insightman likes this.
  23. The Gadgeteer

The Gadgeteer Active Member

I want mine to sound like Kitt