I wish the Clarity was more Voltish

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Tim66, Apr 4, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Mariner91

Mariner91 Member

Never driving Volt more than the 1 test drive I did, I was Told (sales guy, who supposedly owns a Volt himself) that ICE doesn't kick in until after you run out of battery. NOT something you choose?

Only until your speed goes below 7 mph; otherwise they'll stay there up to 3 seconds of acceleration or using right paddle of course
    What happens when ICE turns on and you're out of battery?

Agreed. What's sadder is that other Honda (our 2016 Odyssey has it) has the Oil Life, and I was fully expected this on my 2018 Clarity.

Tim66 likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Mariner91

Mariner91 Member

Feel free to complain to the admin, or just ignore.

ken wells and Tim66 like this.
  4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

This forum is so popular that it would take eons to read through every thread. New members will certainly have the same questions that were discussed previously, but it doesn't bother me to re-state my ultra-valuable opinions. I'm happy to see old topics revived with either new data or new theories relating to them. The amazing thing is how many topics the Clarity PHEV can generate. What other car can be so simple to drive on one hand, yet so complicated to understand for those who want to get into the details?

5. sniwallof

sniwallof Active Member

I'm kind of enjoying pushing the Clarity buttons (compared to Volt L-D), and experiencing the different driving regimes, especially as I learn and think more about each of the modes here and their relation to the transition points, and to HV.

insightman and Tim66 like this.
  6. Umm Yeah

Umm Yeah New Member

Well, I can't speak for others'experienced but I've never had an issue with "angry bees" in the 10 months and 9,100 miles I've driven my Clarity. I tend to keep it in Econ mode and I've only once pushed the accelerator to the beyond the detent and I only definitely 5 it then just to try it out. My generally runs in all electric mode except when we take longer trips. I've only taken the car in for service/oil change once (it was free from the dealer) and my Service Minder says my next appointment will be in 6 months.

As for the regen, I would prefer it be similar to what Kia/Hyundai are doing now, where there are different levels but you can also put the paddle back and hold it and it will apply hard regen up to almost a complete stop.

The car isn't perfect, but the Volt was never even a consideration for me. Your mileage may vary, as they say...

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Tim66

Tim66 Active Member

Find another salesman :) You have four choices with the Volt all activated by a button on the dash. Normal, Sport, Mountain and Hold. Hold is comparable to HV mode on the Clarity. Unless the battery is depleted the ICE won't come on unless you want it to. This article explains it much better than I can. https://www.torquenews.com/1/when-use-chevy-volts-hold-and-mountain-modes-best-mpg

9. Tim66

Tim66 Active Member

And I like all of the customization you can do with the car's systems. Let's face it, people who buy a Clarity are most likely gadget guys at heart.

10. sniwallof

sniwallof Active Member

All the good forums are like the song Alice's Restaurant, they just keep going round and round, some folks get off, some get on, and some are always there. Complaining is also a standard component of the natural cycle of things :)

MNSteve, insightman and jorgie393 like this.
  11. Mariner91

Mariner91 Member

No need; already have Clarity :p And chose it over Volt for other reasons lol

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

That would be "gadget persons at heart."

insightman likes this.
  14. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    I agree completely with the OP's sentiments. I love the Clarity, but there are some things that the Volt got better. I also don't think the paddle implementation is the best. I wish the Clarity had more clear information about efficiency/etc. I think the biggest thing I don't agree with Honda about is how they have programmed when High revving comes on in EV mode, and how the engine runs to handle the regen energy when the battery is full. There is just a little too much time where the engine runs in situations where it doesn't seem that it needs to.

Tim66 likes this.
  15. JulianClarity

JulianClarity Active Member

Tim,
    Don't use ECO mode. If you want ICE, enable HV mode. If you want electric mode only, press HV button again while you are in HV mode. Volt has no match against Clarity in any aspects except some UI designs, just some UI designs. Talking about driving efficiency, Volt has only limited more range on the book than Clarity with much higher battery capacity, and less curb weight, I think they have about the same gas mpg. Volt was even more expensive, I would not paid any higher than 5000 lesser what I paid for my Clarity for a Volt.

Julian

16. insightman

You are correct. The larger and 200-lb heavier Clarity PHEV matches the Volt's 42 mpg.

17. JulianClarity

After 3 months of driving, I saw 59.2 electric miles this morning, it will pass the 60 miles mark soon!

18. PriusGeek

PriusGeek Member

Wait. Regen braking works every time you press on the brake pedal. You do not have to use the paddles in regen mode. Friction brakes kick in when needed, but the Clarity will use regen until it needs friction to stop the car. This is exactly the way most hybrids out there (I drove Prii for 15 years before getting my Clarity) do it. I think the main difference on the Clarity is that the transition between regen and friction braking is so seamless on a Clarity, you can't detect it (at least I can't!). In any event, you don't need to use the paddles at all to take advantage of regen braking.

19. vin seeram

vin seeram Member

In my view there is nothing wrong with using the ICE engine when you need more power, specially in an emergency , without having to fiddle with the buttons.

What is the peak HP of the Clarity vs the Volt?

20. MNSteve

MNSteve Well-Known Member

I think that this is the most pervasive single misconception about the Clarity - that if you don't use the paddles, you're not taking advantage of regenerative braking, or that somehow the paddles get you more/better regenerative braking.

Sure, if you have to stop quickly and invoke friction brakes then you'll see less regenerative energy that if you used the paddles. But in this example, your front end is mangled because you didn't stop in time because you insisted on using the paddles.

The reset of the amount of braking in ECON mode is a separate issue. Some like it; some don't; it's a personal opinion thing. But it has no effect on how much energy is captured by the regen system, which works so well that we don't even know it's there.

Mark W and The Gadgeteer like this.
  21. JulianClarity

Regen means losing energy while you convert kinetical energy to electric energy, the best way is always that you don't even need regen to kick in.

The Gadgeteer likes this.
  22. insightman

Chevy says the electric motor in the Volt generates 149 HP powered by the battery alone (I don't believe the Volt's ICE can power the motor). Honda says the Clarity PHEV's electric motor can generate 121 HP when powered only by the battery and 181 HP, when powered by both the battery and the ICE. Honda claims a peak horsepower of 212, but won't reveal how it gets to that number. Car & Driver got to 60 mph in 7.5 seconds in a Volt and 7.7 seconds in a Clarity PHEV.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  23. JulianClarity

The reset is a correct design, you should always avoid using either regen or the brake if any possible. Regen = efficiency is a wrong wrong concept. That being said, they are trying to inject the right concept by resetting the level of regen.

The Gadgeteer likes this.