Recent articles require subscription

Discussion in 'General' started by bwilson4web, Mar 22, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I hope @Domenick can pass this on to the news team.

I've been using Yahoo Finance to get a summary of TSLA articles. Many if not most leave a lot to be desired as the SHORTs are as loud as they are inaccurate. But this past week, I'm getting challenged to subscribe to read an article but at excessive rates.

I agree authors need payment but some of the subscription rates would quickly exhaust my budget. So how much is fair?
    • Over $1/month, $12/yr - that is a serious subscription that I reserve for serious publications.
    • About $0.25/month, $3/yr - a fair use, sharing rate. After all, Web publishing is pretty much just labor. A small fee for lots of users can make a comfortable living.
    So my question to the "news" guys, what they think a fair subscription rate should be?

Bob Wilson

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. TheMagster

TheMagster Member

Check out Blendle, you pay per article for news from around the world. So you end up supporting individual journalists more than overall publications. I think it is a great system.
    I also like a lot of content on Medium, but their paywall has gotten expensive and annoying. Easy to circumvent, but still I prefer the Blendle model.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

bwilson4web likes this.
  4. bwilson4web

I'd read about them several years ago and thought it was a good idea. I'll give it a try.

Bob Wilson

5. That's a hard question. Being as I don't make a lot of money and I'm looking at a wide range of publications, I can't bring myself to subscribe to any particular one. But, I would have seen some pretty modest rates out there. If it's a publication you use on a regular basis, and the subscription is a cup of coffee or less a month, it might be worth considering.
    Ultimately, I think there would be a wide range of opinions about which publications are worth supporting. I generally like the Economist and dislike the WSJ, for example, and would shell out (or not) for subscriptions accordingly. Bloomberg can be very good, but this past year has seen a lot of coverage that really makes me roll my eyes. Then there are sites like Seeking Alpha, which I would prefer to avoid even if I was getting paid to peruse it.
    I'm not familiar with this Blendle site, but it may be worth looking into.

6. bwilson4web

We share the same view about sources. I'll take another look at "The Economist."

Bob Wilson

7. To remove this ad click here.