Clarity ease of entry / exit

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by DotDotDot, Mar 16, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. DotDotDot

DotDotDot New Member

I’m currently in the market for a new car, and it seems there’s a lot to like about the Clarity. However, I sometimes have to drive around my elderly Mom, so ease of entry and exit is a concern. The most important thing for me is the so called “H Point”, which is a measurement of how high off the ground your hips are when sitting in the seat, but unfortunately automakers don’t often publish this info.

Does anyone happen to know what the H Point for the Clarity is, or feel like measuring how high off the ground the front seats are? Or even just have an opinion on how easy entering and exiting the car feels? I’ve already had to cross the new Insight off my list for being surprisingly low to the ground, but I haven’t had a chance to sit in a Clarity yet.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bill_m

bill_m Member

I notice that the H-point wiki article indicates that sedans and especially streamlined cars tend to have lower H-points than, say, SUV's.
    Have you looked at the possibility of seat cushions?. You may want to take mom with you when you go car shopping...

4. Mine measured 19 1/2 inches where the top of the seat side bolster meets the seat back. Maybe an inch lower for the actual seat.

5. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

My Touring passenger seat bolster measured 20 1/2" off the floor at the rear of the seat and 23" off the floor at the front. As mentioned by @MichiganClarity , the bottom of the seat is lower. Another important thing for fit is the roof line. As cars become more squished, the roof often requires ducking to get in, something that's hard for the elderly. The Clarity has a nice high roof line in front. I have no doubt my 94 year dad could get up to the Clarity passenger seat with his walker and get in and out, with perhaps a steadying hand for his right side that doesn't have a door to hang on to.

dGarry48 likes this.
  6. Walt R

Walt R Active Member

I don't know where the Clarity will fall on your scale, but it is certainly higher and has a wider opening than the Volt. I crossed it off my list for those reasons.

If you're cross shopping full BEVs I'd expect you'll want to find a Bolt and a Kona to see how the crossovers compare. From my recollection the Ioniq was about the same as the Clarity, but I wasn't noting that closely beyond "within the comfortable range for me".

Also note adjustable seat heights. I was recently driving a rental minivan and was surprised at the close headroom on the door frame, until I realized the seat had been left in a very upright position - but that position is favored by many in minivans and SUVs.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

The Clarity height is about the same as a typical mid-sized to full-sized car. The front doors are a bit large so it can be difficult getting out of tight spaces. On the other hand, if you aren't blocked by a wall or another car, the large doors makes it easier to get in and out of.

9. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

I have had a motorcycle accident and now seal with orthopedic impairment and an unhappy back. Ease of entry and exit were a major concern for me. I came from a 2008 CRV that had the perfect height seat for my 6 ft frame. Didn’t have to climb up or get down to sit on the seat.
    I got the Touring primarily since it can raise and lower the seat height. I use the seat set all the way up and it has enough headroom for me at 6 ft to not hit he headliner. Also I find the seat height at max to be just a tad lower than the CRV but not enough to make a major difference.
    Whoops, just noticed the passenger seat is NOT height adjustable. You’ll have to take your mom to the dealer and try her out on the passenger seat to know for sure.

10. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

Having dorsal back problems was one of the reasons I went shopping for a new car since my Mazda 6 was pretty low and besides I had to bent to get in. That also made me choose the Clarity over the Volt. It should be pretty comfortable for an elderly person.

11. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

One other suggestion for your mom. I’ve seen a swivel thin seat cushion that acts like a lazy-Susan that helps older folks rotate in and out of the car easier. You might want to get one for your mom.
    I’ve seen them for anything from $15 to $50. Just Google car seat swivel.
    Here’s one for $15 from Home Depot. They will send it to a store near you so there is no shipping charge

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&channel=iphone_bm&source=hp&ei=h-SPXJ32KqTBjwTahrKADg&q=seat+swivel+for+car&oq=&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-hp.1.0.35i39l5j46i39j35i39l2.0.0..5346...1.0..0.0.0.......0...........8.SjiOy4y5t_E

Gotta take care of our Moms!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

I have a brother that's disabled and he happens to be large. About 6'5" and say 300lbs. Not sure if this helps you, but my Clarity is one of the few cars he can actually get in and out of. I can fit his large walker in the back seat but not in the trunk without some disassembly. His wheel chair is too large (even partially disassembled for the Clarity (i.e. if we need his wheel chair, a van is our option). Some smaller wheelchairs might fit, don't know.

So not really what you asked but the door open "hole" is above average, and the car's passenger compartment is definitely more like full-size car than compact. And yes, this is one of the reasons I bought the car. My brother and I can sit side by side in Clarity (and definitely not in any compact car).

14. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

The Clarity has large enough door entry area for my sciatic back and legs that I have no problem with it.
    (I am a permanent handicap placard driver)

Tried other car brands and could not get in / out easily.
    The worst was the Toyota Prius Prime and Volt.
    The best was the Chrysler Pacifica PHEV but I don't want a minivan for a solo driver commuter car...

15. dGarry48

dGarry48 Member

Sounds like the Clarity is a good over ride for the elders.

16. Took my tall and creaky 89-year old Dad for a ride in my Clarity Touring yesterday. It was amazing to me how easy it was for him to get in and out of the car. I will bet that the seat swivel or just a “booster” seat cushion would help the part where they have to lift themselves out of the car. He remarked a couple times about how comfortable the seats were, even after 2 hours. So, I don’t really understand the comments some have made about the seats being uncomfortable. I LOVE them.