Problem buying a 2019 - Michigan

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Danks, Feb 20, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. tterag

tterag Member

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. 5thdan

5thdan New Member

Ah, with reserves I can see it as a way to advertise.
    US $27,300.00
    Reserve not met

4. The Gadgeteer

The Gadgeteer Active Member

I found several 2018 Clarity Plug in Hybrids in NJ and they are willing to deal.

5. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

It did not sell, reserve not met.

6. tterag

tterag Member

Hey, that makes me feel a whole lot better. I was pretty bummed when I saw that final bid.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

In Oklahoma, PHEV Clarity models sit on dealer lots for months. The one I ended up buying (Silver base model) shows it was manufactured in July 2018, and sat on the dealer lot for quite some time. The salesman was quite surprised I wanted to look at one. At least the dealer did keep the battery charged.

Big jacked up trucks billowing black diesel smoke hauling around air are the rage in these parts. My not-so-bright neighbor has one so big it won't fit in his garage.

I've only seen one other Clarity driving around where I live. It's like driving around in a unicorn. :)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    Texas22Step, MPower and Electra like this.
  9. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

Yes, this has been a pretty standard mode for quite a while. Go to the specific site for eBay Motors to do your vehicle search. (I have sold a couple of used vehicles on eBay Motors myself-- worked to my satisfaction, even with out-of-state buyers.)

10. Texas22Step

The situation you describe in Indiana (or that @Mowcowbell describes in this thread up in Oklahoma) doesn't seem to be the situation here in the metro DFW area (or at least, in my part of the metro DFW area)in (gasp, oil & gas home base!) Texas.

I stopped by my local Honda dealer a couple of days ago to try out one of the two new (free) L2 charging stations with dedicated EV parking that the dealer has installed on their lot (yes, you read it correctly -- two brand new L2 charging stations). In talking to the sales manager, he told me (if true) that the dealership sells about 12 or so Clarity PHEVs per month, on average (which, undoubtedly are still a small fraction of the Accords and other ICE vehicles they sell). Per their web site, they currently have 8 Clarity PHEVs in inventory, all 2018 models but with VINs running into the 23,000s. However, the fact that none are yet the 2019 model either suggests you are correct that Honda simply won't allocate 2019 models here or elsewhere mid-country for whatever reason, or that Honda is first allocating 2019s to other markets since this area seems to have plenty of inventory on hand (currently 32 in the DFW area according to the Cargurus web site search).

It will be interesting to watch whether the 2019s ever appear here, too, especially since GM won't offer the Volt this year.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  11. Texas22Step

As someone who bought a Clarity at one dealer and then decided to service the car at a dealer different from the dealer from which the car was purchased, I would join the advice of others to buy what you want and don't worry about the service location issue. My new servicing dealer welcomes me with open arms (including my D80 Honda Extended Care warranty purchased after the car itself & from an East coast dealer), and so should yours. The dealers make their real profits on service, not vehicle sales anyway. IMHO, the very legitimate concern you should have in selecting a servicing dealer is whether their service staff know anything about the Clarity PHEV in the first place.

4sallypat likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

Funny, the OP is in Michigan - car manufacturing central!

When I was looking last year for a truck, I found that living in MI has a huge advantage over all others - they can sell trucks (big full sized Ram hemi) for thousands less than everywhere else!

As for the Honda, it would not surprise me that MI did not vote to become a ZEV state because of all the huge ICE engined cars they make for fear of undercutting their big 3 manufacturers based in MI ???

14. AnthonyW

AnthonyW Well-Known Member

15. 5thdan

5thdan New Member

I have a change in commute, and will be selling my 2018 Touring soon. Send me a PM if you are in the market.

16. Viking79

Viking79 Well-Known Member

I take any dealer badging off within an hour of getting the vehicle home. I should start asking them to not put it on, but figure it isn't worth the hassle.

Sandroad likes this.
  17. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

Yes, I think that's exactly right. Just advertising, not a serious offer. But also a way to gauge demand; just how much would people be willing to pay for the car?

18. Sandroad

There is a Toyota dealer here that puts a dealer-advertising license plate frame on every vehicle that comes in for service, whether or not the vehicle was purchased there.

19. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

If they took my carbon fiber license tag frame off and replaced it with their crappy dealer frame, that would be the last time I went there for service.

20. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

What do they do with the license plate frames already on the cars that come in for service? I spent real money for my custom frame (with a slogan that's way too small to read from further away than a couple of feet):

upload_2019-3-19_8-24-4.png

21. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

I always stipulate that there be no dealer advertising applied or applied and removed or there will be a $200 charge taken off the price.
    So far no problem getting 3 different dealers in 2 states to accommodate me by adding it to the contract.

Here’s the real LOL. When I was barely shaving, I bought my first new car and when I got home I noticed the final price was $75 more than agreed on. The dealer had added a line for “Dealer Advertising “ for the 4 inch sticker that was put on while I waited for it to be washed. My dad said it was a cheap lesson in life. Well, I never forgot that scam and vowed to never be taken advantage of again. I would have gone back about the $75 but I bought out of state and it wasn’t worth the drive.
    Ahh, the foolishness of youth!

22. Sandroad

They don't take off custom frames already there. But if there is no frame or one from another dealer, you get one of theirs for free. :rolleyes:. I removed theirs after each time I went in and sure enough, one reappeared each time I went back.

23. sniwallof

sniwallof Active Member

Sometimes, I just turn the plastic dealer frame around and re-mount it.

The plastic dealer frame used in reverse (logo towards the bumper) can make for a nice accent line with some improved support for the plate (less plate wind vibration).

MPower and 4sallypat like this.