Alternate touchscreen GUI with icons

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Thomas Mitchell, Feb 21, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

Because Android 4. That's just the default number of "home" screens/tabs.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. On my wish list would be the option to “split” the display to show a time least 2 different screens. Or in a perfect world, maybe 4.

On our FL trip there seemed to be a lot of unnecessary switching between the “Energy” and “Audio” screens. I know a truncated version of the Energy screen can be shown on the instrument panel, but it lacks the EV/HV miles remaining.

The Gadgeteer likes this.
  4. Thomas Mitchell

Thomas Mitchell Active Member

Not sure which “Energy” instrument screen you are talking about, but there is a screen on mine that shows EV/HV miles remaining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. I was talking about the one that shows the power flow to the wheels. The one in front of the driver I don’t believe shows EV and HV miles remaining.

6. Thomas Mitchell

Gotcha. That information is split between two screens. Honda could have done better with the driver information screens.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

So first off thanks for the tips in this thread. I did change my skin to this one and like it better.

My Clarity never had a 'Browser' application. Yes, I know that may sound weird, but it may have to do with when our car was made (or something else- don't know). My buddy bought the car from the same dealer, and his has the browser icon. Can I add the browser?

9. Thomas Mitchell

I think you can add certain apps. You need to connect your car to a WiFi network. I’ll look into it.

10. It seems logical to have just put a display of miles remaining right next to the battery and fuel gauges respectively.

Edward Dries likes this.
  11. ukon

ukon Member

Thanks for this thread. I love my homescreen now!!

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Danks

Danks Active Member

14. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

It comes on to whatever is was on when you turned it off.

Danks likes this.
  15. Danks

Danks Active Member

Audio was not on when we turned it off. The vehicle energy flow was.

16. Danks

Danks Active Member

So I poked around with it some more. I managed to get the Info screen to come up first, but not the Home screen. What am I missing?

17. Danks

Danks Active Member

So I've poked around enough more with it to better understand what you said. It appears that there is no way to make it come up with the Home Screen on startup. Given your explanation I now know to get to the screen I want to start on before I turn the car off.

18. MajorAward

MajorAward Active Member

I spent a little time today becoming more familiar with the navigation system/ Center console/whatever. Conclusion: Honda?/Garmin? or whatever combo is involved here are dinosaurs. The voice commands are frustrating to use, and generally not worth the time. Apple / Google are so much better. I'm glad to have as a backup, but that's it. Why cant I have, say, six windows on a screen, and maybe even six on another screen where I can choose where things go. I may want direction, current mpg, overall mpg, elevation, speed limit, distance to empty, distance to destination, etc. I know software. I know it can be done, and yet here we are. as Garth Stein said: "That which we manifest is before us". I love my Clarity, and just a few days ago clocked it getting 52 miles on a charge. Guess I should be happy that the Clarity was even available in Atlanta, being a non-ZEV area, but I know being better is not that hard. /rant

19. Thomas Mitchell

Have you told Honda your thoughts? Complaining to an Internet forum is about the worst way to see changes made to the car.

20. 2002

2002 Well-Known Member

I am new to Honda but apparently Clarity is using the older infotainment system whereas other models have moved on. A bit odd for such an otherwise high tech car. One good thing about that for me though is apparently the newer systems replace the right lane camera with blind-spot-monitoring. I so much like and appreciate the right lane camera. Some people complain that it comes on when they are trying to view nav directions, and either they have turned off the feature or were considering turning it off. When I tell them you just have to press the button on the stalk and it turns off temporarily until the next time, to a person they didn't realize that and said they will now keep it active.

Also I don't think everyone knows that you can turn on the camera anytime by pressing the stalk button. Just yesterday I was driving on the freeway in the second lane from the right and was in one of those situations where I needed to change lanes prior to my exit coming up in about two miles but there were no gaps at the moment and there was a car shadowing me just behind me on the right. Instead of constant neck craning like I would have had to do in the past, I just turned on the right lane camera and was able to monitor what was going on over there. Within a mile or so a large gap opened up (confirmed with one final neck crane) and I was able to easily and safely change lanes.

Sure BSM is nice but like any sensor it's not perfect, if I had to choose between the two I would definitely take the camera. Like others I wish it had both, and I wish the camera was also on the left side, but realistically the right side is more critical, I don't think BSM works on the left side either?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    JustAnotherPoorDriver and Walt R like this.
  21. Walt R

Walt R Active Member

I agree, I'd like left lane camera too. Apparently many large motorhomes have cameras running full time, including the rear so they can monitor the tow car.

My additional use case is toll booths. Since EZPass is usually on the far left, I turn the camera on before I even go through the booth, then it is much easier to monitor traffic as the lanes merge back. I don't use turn signals there since everyone has to merge anyway.

22. 2002

2002 Well-Known Member

Having worked for a couple of large companies I find that they love focus groups and user groups but they pretty much ignore unsolicited suggestions or complaints. Calling or writing will likely not go up even one level from the person that you are talking to. If they are really interested in what people think they can monitor forums like this. As far as we know they might, but I tend to doubt it.

23. MajorAward

MajorAward Active Member

Yes I have. Starting in 2015 when we were looking at a Honda Accord hybrid and discovered it did not come with a spare tire. We ended up buying a Civic that did have a spare, which has since been passed to my son as his college transportation. I complained to Honda at the dealer level, as well as in the follow up survey from American Honda Motor Company. We all see what good that did. But I tried, and trying is what we all should do. When/if I receive a survey from Honda about my Clarity, I will complain again.

I am a member of several tech forums, and know that manufacturers do actually monitor some of them, and occasionally even contribute to the conversation. It seems logical to me that companies would want to know the pulse of the people who buy their products, especially those passionate enough to join forums. You may be right about this forum, however. We don't truly know if Honda even cares what we think. And unless some of you secretly work for Honda, I don't see them commenting on any of the threads I follow.

I have owned a 1972 Honda CB750, a 1982 Honda Passport scooter, 1987 Acura Integra, A 1997 Honda CR-V, a 2015 Honda Civic, and a 2018 Honda Clarity. I think Honda is a great engineering company, and in many cases are ahead of their time. The CB750 is legendary, and I still own the 1982 scooter, which continues to run almost as well as new. So I love Honda products, but have, do, and will continue to complain when I think they should be better. I know they can be.