Modifications and Tweaks

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by electriceddy, Mar 10, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. So here's a tweak
    My Kona came with a 2"+ manual encased in a black vinyl binder which took up all the space in the glove box, so I turned it upside down and put it into the storage area under the bridge towards the back and it fits perfectly! Frees up the glove box for other stuff. Can actually reach stuff now stored under the bridge! Still leaves room for the power outlets.

Mike Bearsails, rpark, mho and 5 others like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

Brilliant idea. I've been thinking about leaving mine at home, since I have a copy on the phone anyway. Think about the watt-hours wasted by hauling around an extra five pounds, at least three pounds of which are warnings of the "don't poke your eye with a sharp stick" variety.

4. zoominbc

zoominbc Active Member

I leave mine at home too. The silly manual weighs 1.3Kg, a PDF on a phone weighs quite a bit less! I haven’t found a good use for that space under the flying bridge.

CJC likes this.
  5. Mod : Ordered these visors today but delivery won't be till April .
    https://www.amazon.ca/Clover-Weather-Deflector-Compatible-Hyundai/dp/B07L6DKTCM/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?keywords=well+visors+hyundai+kona&qid=1552258047&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmr2
    Hopefully the ambient will be in the 70's by then as the 3M adhesive won't take when applying in cold.
    Will advise after install.
    Tweak : Picked up paint pen (supplied with vehicle purchase) just arrived yesterday Part# 000HCPENSU8 Ceramic Blue 191218 c/w clear

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    rpark, mho, EnerG and 1 other person like this.
  6. Brennan Raposo

Brennan Raposo Well-Known Member

I’m sure everyone is aware that there are two copies (in Canada) in French and English? I left my French copy at home in case of future resale.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Brennan Raposo

My goals this summer are to figure out a mod for the remote rear hatch. I figure the button is already present in the remote. It can’t be that hard!

Secondly, remote mirrors are my next project! They’re already standard in Europe, meaning all the parts are available!

This is all aside from the PPF and blacked-out roof!

Kirk likes this.
  9. Vanryan

Vanryan Member

If you can figure out how to get memory seats (my wife is about 13” shorter than me) that would be awesome. That’s one feature I’d really like to see!

Kirk and Yellerledbetty like this.
  10. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

Those two issues i.e. cannot remote open the rear hatch, and lack of memory seats/no electric passenger seats are so frustrating. So frustrating that I am gravitating back todriving my C-Max Energi for the hatch lift with a kick feature and the roominess. My C-Max PHEV has little technology other than GPS, rear camera, lift gate kick and automatic parking, and more space for easier entry to car, but I sure miss the space and the kick to open. Hubby is going to trade in the C-Max on a Lincoln PHEV but I don't know if I can part with it and live with the Kona without those things. Maybe he will have to trade the Kona EV lol.

ehatch and Brennan Raposo like this.
  11. zoominbc

zoominbc Active Member

Not sure what you want to achieve with the rear hatch. The remote does unlock it and also remote proximity to the rear hatch unlocks it. Do you want it to pop open?
    Remote mirrors would be a neat project, it would be interesting to find out if the wiring was there. Pictures please if you go for it.

Brennan Raposo likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

Pop open is an absolute must! Please.

Kirk likes this.
  14. zoominbc

zoominbc Active Member

The 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe has a Smart Tailgate option. It "might" be possible to retrofit on the Kona but it's not a project for the feint of heart.

Brennan Raposo likes this.
  15. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

We are pretty feint of heart. lol

16. Kitsilano

Kitsilano Active Member

Here's a project for creative, electronically-adept Kona Electric owners: Find a way to make the brake lights go on when pulling & holding the left regen paddle. In slow-moving, stop-and-go traffic, regen deceleration is usually strong enough that slowing & stopping the Kona Electric by stepping on the brake pedal is usually unnecessary. But the CONVENIENCE and FUN coming from perfectly timing the pull & hold of the left paddle comes with a RISK. Is the driver behind you attentive? Will the driver of the car following you know you are decelerating without seeing the brake-light cue?

17. So the brake lights do not come on when holding the Left paddle?

18. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

It appears they do, but not with level 1 regen. This video helps a bit.

AlkiP0Ps, Mattsburgh and Domenick like this.
  19. Brennan Raposo

This is exactly what I’m looking to do. I need to first confirm that any of the mods I want to partake in won’t void my warranty. That would not be good!

20. BlueSal

BlueSal Member

I chose the Kona for the torque. Alex on Autos has released a new video claiming the 0-60 time is 6.2 secs. He suggested it might be faster with thicker tires. I also noted that the road noise in the Kona is road noise, so I'm wondering if anyone has ideas about new tires and wheels. What sizes I might try? Ideally, I'd like two sets: a longe range (OEM) and a road hugging set. I realize I might sacrifice 10% in range, but the Kona is a daily around town driver. Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    Fastnf, Domenick and Wildeyed like this.
  21. EnerG

EnerG Active Member

Tweak/ Mod wish list:
    I am hoping they will fix the charge port with a gasketed version that won't freeze shut.
    Also regarding the charge port I would like an LED light to show the insertion point for the charging cable. It is quite dark and need to insert by braille. I may resort to painting or placing a P-Touch high visibility label on the lip edge of the port.

Toolworker and Kitsilano like this.
  22. I second the need for a gasket on the port door. I had some very gentle snow falls fill it up pretty good.

23. Defiantly on the list. I kept the old wiper blade inserts from my Leaf and think they will make for a good seal (once the weather warms up)

Kitsilano likes this.