First Oil Change Must Be Due?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by David Towle, Mar 13, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

My first service indicator came up at around 6000 miles, and I reset what I thought was just the tire rotation part since I had just put snow tires on. I expected it to come back on for an oil change around 8000, but now I'm at 10000 and it says the next service is still a month away. Are the oil change and tire rotation reminders not separable?

This frequency of oil changes is not an issue to me since I drive about 70% of the time on gas.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Ray B

Ray B Active Member

Do you plan to be taking off the snow tires and putting the original tires on soon? If you rotate the positions from the original locations and again resent the MM #1, I would guess that it would again delay the oil change. Hard to be certain, as other factors may be at play. Maximum time between oil changes is 12 months.

4. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

I know we’ve had more than one post that said resetting the tire rotation did result in an extension of the oil change.
    I don’t know if that was just resetting the 1 for tire rotation or it was also resetting the 0 for the inspection (US).
    It’s unfortunate that the MM does not indicate which service(s) are due ahead of time. You have to wait till they are actually due. Bad design IMHO.

My first service came up at exactly one year from purchase at ~7600 miles. I drive 90%+ in EV (only 650 miles HV and 13 hours on the ICE). For me it didn’t lengthen the oil change but that’s because I drive so few miles I assume the Maintenance Minder was timing out at 1 year. I don’t mind changing the oil once a year even with so few ICE miles since it keeps the oil additives fresh and removes moisture.

BTW, DIY oil changes are easy peasy. You’re got plenty of room after removing the underbody cover. Just be aware that the half turn to remove fasteners are not captive and will fall out on the ground on you. I think I spent almost as much time hunting for one of them as it took me to R/R the filter, drain, and replug. LOL

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    Remarksman likes this.
  5. Elm

Elm New Member

Got my tire rotation 01 minder this last week. Had the car almost a year so that makes sense. However, yesterday to that minder it added a second oil change is due. (It changed from an 01 to A01) This is early. It's been 6 months and ~18 gallons of gas since the oil was changed. Any ideas what caused that?

6. Walt R

Walt R Active Member

As far as I have seen, we don't know the actual interval for the oil changes. If we assume it could be 7500 miles and you drive 70% on gas, you wouldn't be due until almost 11,000 miles, which seems close to your 10k + one month.

Is there anyone who tracks gas-only miles and has racked up more than 6,500 gas miles within a year, who can estimate when they got an oil-change-only service notice?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. jlebowski

jlebowski New Member

How can we track miles on battery vs. miles using gasoline?

9. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

Unfortunately only by logging manually. I'm not doing it!