How long does it take to get the CA HOV sticker

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Teamchang, Sep 7, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bfd

bfd Active Member

It's gonna be more than two months. First you wait for the plates, then you wait for the stickers. We bought ours in December 2017. Didn't get the stickers until after tax day. Plan on getting yours sometime in April. If they come before that, consider yourself lucky… but with the new paper plates this year and going through the dealer for the stickers, who knows?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

Any car that was sold after Jan 1 2019 will have a temporary paper plate that is printed by the dealer.

No more blank, dealer name plate, etc...
    You are paying $5 more for the doc fee to cover the costs of the new temporary paper plates until the permanent plates arrive.

You can use that temporary license plate & registration (good for 3 months) to apply for the HOV sticker.

4. Vishal Kirti

Vishal Kirti New Member

Should I apply for HOV sticker with my temp plates or wait until I receive the permanent ones? I ask this because it seems that I will have to re apply when the permanent plates arrive, correct?

5. Vishal Kirti

Vishal Kirti New Member

4. Q: How can I apply for CAV decals and ensure that my application is complete?

A: To apply for original CAV decals:

• Ensure your vehicle is on the ARB eligibility list by checking the ARB website or calling 1-800-242-4450.
    • Complete an Application for Clean Air Vehicle Decal (REG 1000) (PDF) form.
    • Complete the vehicle information at the top of the application.
    • Complete Section 1 with the Current Registered Owner’s Name and Address.
      • The vehicle must be registered in the applicant’s name. If this is a recently acquired vehicle, the transfer of ownership (from dealership or private party) must be completed before the application can be submitted. You will receive a registration card from DMV once the transfer of ownership is complete.

6. occphv

occphv New Member

I received my purple HOV decals (mailed to dealer) on 2/12, exactly one month after I purchased the car.
    Dealer applied for HOV sticker when they file my transaction (didn't know it until I went pick up my decals) so it has their name on the paper which came with the decals but VIN and other information is correct.
    So, yes, you can apply for HOV decal without permanent license plate (don't know how since my dealer did that on my behalf).

4sallypat likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. JulianClarity

JulianClarity Active Member

Hi,
    I sent in the application on 1/21, but I haven't heard anything back yet, not even my check was cashed, is that normal?

9. GHTech

GHTech Member

Hi!

Leased my Clarity Electric on 1/4. Dealer applied for the HOV stickers as we were doing my paperwork. Received the stickers from the CA DMV last Sat (3/2).

Regards,

GHTech

10. JulianClarity

Hi,
    When was your check cashed if you don't mind telling?

Thanks,
    Julian

11. GHTech

GHTech Member

Hi Julian!

My dealer (Galpin Honda) paid for it, so I do not know when it was cashed. I forgot to mention that the certificate/paperwork I received with the stickers had my permanent license plate info on it. So, I would assume that it would be 2 months minus the 3 weeks (approximately) for the license plates to process the HOV stickers.

On a side note, I pasted the HOV stickers on the Clarity yesterday, but not sure it will be of any use as most of my driving is local. My Ford Focus Electric got the stickers, but I never pasted it. It was on the freeway only about 3 times in the 33 months, and one of them was on it's way home from the dealer I leased it from. :)

Regards,

GHTech

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

Gee, still waiting for my purple HOV stickers....

Haven't see any on the roads - only the red ones...

14. JulianClarity

Thank you GHTech!
    I think it could be faster than normal for your case, since it will go through some registration verification process if submitted separately, but you went through the fastrak only lane.
    Something must be wrong with my previous application, I have resubmitted again, hope it works this time.

Julian

15. I tried to apply for my HOV sticker without plates, because I was told I could by others. 1.5 months later I got the application and the check back and it said I had to have the plate number. I would wait! @4sallypat I have seen a few purple stickers in the bay area driving over 92.

16. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

My dealer has a full time DMV person that connects directly with DMV.
    The dealer issued plates immediately and used that plate # to send in the form.
    Sort of silly that the DMV allows online instantaneous plate issuance but can't issue the HOV stickers.

Even they had to mail in the paper application form and check to get the HOV stickers for me.

Guess the State of CA is not yet fully digital....

jennifer everett likes this.
  17. Rav

Rav Member

Mailed in application 1/14/19 (using temp plates)
    check cleared on 3/7/19
    received purple decals on 3/9/19

4sallypat likes this.
  18. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

Thanks! Needed that update.....

jennifer everett likes this.
  19. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

[​IMG]
    Just got my purple HOV stickers today!
    Whoo hooo - I can drive solo now in the carpool lanes!
    [​IMG]

jennifer everett and KentuckyKen like this.
  20. triplesec

triplesec New Member

I called the Special Processing Unit on Friday 3/8 and they said they were processing applications from 1/22-23 at the time.

21. imzeppy

imzeppy New Member

Hi All:
    I mailed my application for my Honda Clarity HOV Sticker on January 26, 2019 but haven't received anything yet. Furthermore, the DMV has yet to even cash my check; so it's been about 8 weeks and not a peep. Calling the DMV is useless. So do I just need to be more patient? Any recommendations?

22. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

[​IMG] If you mailed it in the end of January, allow 60 days to receive yours.

Mine was mailed in mid January and I just got mine a few days ago....

pigeonbgon and airwalker82 like this.
  23. DapperDano

DapperDano New Member

I mailed my application at the end of January and just got my stickers. They take their sweet time.