Clarity Quirks thread (post small things to look out for)

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by DanGest, Feb 24, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. DanGest

DanGest Member

Just bought a new clarity and thought it would be nice to have a thread, that kind of summarize minor issues that pop up. To be clear, we love the car, but just want to see what things might be worth bringing up with the dealership.

For us so far:
    Closing doors without some authority is not adequate, they don't close properly (mainly the right front passenger door).
    Also kind of the opposite behavior with the trunk if I close it with authority (read i have a couple grocery bags in one hand, and just want to make sure it closes with a one hand yank down) it doesn't latch properly. But gently closing and it latches.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. David in TN

David in TN Well-Known Member

Doors and trunk have adjustment "stoppers" that turn allowing you to adjust the tension needed to close.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Inside EVs mobile app

Kyle’s Clarity likes this.
  4. Kind of a quirk I guess?

The wipers will dispense a set amount of fluid if you pull the wiper handle back JUST until they start to move and then let go. They’ll continue to spray for one full pass across the windshield and back and then clear the remaining fluid with 3 or 4 more “dry” passes. If you time it right, it’ll do the whole process for you (as opposed to holding it and having them continue to spray until you let go). I find that this does an adequate job of clearing the windshield while using less fluid than of I just went at it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I wish there was an adjustment for the amount of fluid dispensed. It seems to me that Honda realized the windshield washer tank is so small that they had to dispense the absolute minimum per wash. That isn't enough fluid for me. I wouldn't be filling the tank more often because as it is now I have to run the windshield washers multiple times to get the job done. My least favorite design innovation on the Clarity are the wiper-mounted washer nozzles.

6. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

Quirk or intermittent electronic brakes are on when I did not engage them.

Sometimes after I park the car without without using the e-Brake button, when I get back into the car to drive, the e-Brake is turned on when I know I never use it.
    Has a mind of it's own.

Anyone else ?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Never seen that (as I tend to engage the parking brake most times anyways) but I’ll keep an eye for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

9. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

When I use Brake Hold, the e-Brake is set for the next start automatically but Brake Hold is not.

4sallypat likes this.
  10. The Gadgeteer

The Gadgeteer Active Member

I feel I have to switch around screens too much to see the information I want. Between seeing energy flow, gas/ev range, odometer, audio info, navigation, Apple play, time, Lane watch, etc. there is just too much juggling and distraction to get to all the information I want.

Yannick likes this.
  11. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

Oh, that makes sense!
    Auto brake hold when I drive in bumper to bumper is when I turn that feature on.
    Then after I park and then restart, the e-Brake is on - you hit it on the head!

@KentuckyKen - you are correct - it's not a quirk!

KentuckyKen likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. vapor22

vapor22 New Member

the storage options for the driver are pretty quirky. either you put your smart phone in the large tray under the shift buttons and have it slide around in a turn or you put it in the cup holder. would have been nice if they cloth lined the bottom of the arm rest storage.

also i have small garage door remote and it seems like there's no good place to put it. i just stick it in my sunglass holder.

14. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

Why not use the built in remote? it actually works much better than my handhelds.

Pegsie and MPower like this.
  15. Atkinson

Atkinson Active Member

If we can count things that are "missing" as quirks, I would like advanced controls menu and data displays.
    Examples:
    1. A setting to override clutch unlock above 45 MPH (even if I consume more battery level than HV mode allows).
    I'm OK with consuming some battery power in HV mode on long hills.
    2. Displays for everything you always wanted to know, but were afraid to ask - all 3 coolant circuits temps, engine and transmission (eCVT) oil temps, cumulative electricity and fuel consumption, long-term MPG with and without electricity averaged in, indicators for reason ICE starts (cold battery, fluids circulation, bad juju, etc.), indicators for reason high engine RPM is called by powertrain computer, etc.

David Towle likes this.
  16. David in TN

David in TN Well-Known Member

Most items requested are available either on ScanGauge II or through an app such as Torque.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Inside EVs mobile app

17. lanb

lanb Active Member

This will only happen if you have brake hold on and unbuckle the driver seat belt before putting the car in "P".

With brake hold on, if you put the car in "P" and then unbuckle, e-brake will not be set.

And yes, this is not a quirk but a feature.

KentuckyKen likes this.
  18. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Thank you. I thought I was going crazy, because every once in a while, the parking brake would not be set. Now I know why.

19. neal adkins

neal adkins Active Member

I bought a case for my phone that has soft textuered rubber surface and is designed to grip the surface the phone is resting on. I can lay my phone just about any where and it doesn't slide around.

20. Melissa Dillon likes this.
  21. lanb

lanb Active Member

You could buy a piece of dark felt and stick it to the large tray underneath the shift buttons to prevent the phone from sliding around. :)

22. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

This is not unique to the Clarity but the rear end gets very dirty, very easily compared with the rest of the car. This is particularly a problem with the rear camera, especially in the winter. I've never had to clean my right turn camera. It stays clean even when the rest of the car is dirty. The rear camera, on the other hand, gets dirty even if the rest of the car looks clean. Plus I have a white Clarity. The top of the bumper gets really dirty fast because all the dirt from the roof and rear window gets channel there with the smallest amount of moisture due the aerodynamics.

One other thing. The Clarity is crazy wide, especially when you add the unusually big mirrors. I always have to back out carefully to avoid whacking the mirrors. It's also longer than it looks. I'm surprised how much room it takes up in my garage. It has a far larger footprint than my late model Outback.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  23. lanb

lanb Active Member

Agree. Also, is it just me or the wheels tend to have curb rash much more than other cars because the rims protrude out more than the tire ?