Oil change at 7800

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by JKroll, Feb 22, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. JKroll

JKroll Member

What a rip off ... I know we have discussed it to death (regarding premature oil change) but still dealer is charging like 58 for synthetic oil.

Is it true that only synthetic is allowed?

Looks like a total waste for driving 1000 miles on ICE

If I knew I was going to pay this much for service would have bought a German car instead.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. tterag

tterag Member

4. JKroll

JKroll Member

its been 12 months since i bought the car so its the first oil change.

5. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Almost all dealers are much higher priced than independent shops. If you don’t like their prices, go to a reputable local mechanic or DIY. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act will protect you from voiding your warranty as long as you use Honda equivalent fluids and filters. You’re not locked in to the dealer.

My MM indicated A01 at exactly 1 year from purchase with 7650 total miles. About 600 miles and 13 hours were in HV. So I’m happy with once a year oil changes even though the ICE has had hardly any use and the Volt allows up to 2 year oil changes.
    Some have posted that rotating the tires and resetting the “1”, has extended the interval for the oil change since the MM will move up some service to try to reduce the number of service visits.

I don’t believe you can find any full dino oil that’s 0W-20; it’s all syn or blended syn. You could get 5 qts of Mobil 1 and a filter at Wally World for $35 and DIY. I just changed mine and it was very easy with plenty of room to get to the filter and drain plug. A friend has a lift, but I’ve done it with jack stands too. It’s a good bonding experience with your Clarity. And flluid/filter changes are about the only things we get to do ourselves on this George Jetson, computerized wiz bang vehicle. (Not counting plugs and brake pads since they last so long)
    I’m sending the oil off for analysis and will post results. It will be interesting to see the TBN, water, and fuel dilution for such a short run time but over a long time interval of 1 yr.

6. Aaron

Aaron Active Member

I'm happy to hear this. My dealer told me that if I do my own oil change I would void the warranty. I NEVER take vehicles to a dealer. I either get a groupon which will almost always cost the same as parts or do it myself. On my Titan I do it myself so that I know it's done right and I can look around to catch other issues before they become....issues.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. JKroll

JKroll Member

Oh the oil itself is that expensive even at Walmart? The question is does it require synthetic or regular will do.

9. JKroll

JKroll Member

I will do it myself next time if its not that hard to get to plugs. I can shop around for honda parts beforehand.

10. Aaron

Aaron Active Member

When I do The Wifes Civic I just pick up mobil 1 synthetic at Costco.....it's like 30 bucks?

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. Tomrl

Tomrl Member

My dealer (University Honda in Corvallis, OR) does the first oil change free and also throws in 2 free professional detailings any time you want them. Plus they really know the car and have non commissioned salesmen, I highly recommend them.

insightman likes this.
  13. KentuckyKen

Plugs are Iridium so I have no doubt that they will last 100,000 miles as they do in Toyota Tacomas, but I wonder when the MM will trip.
    The coolant is a 10 year max change interval per underhood sticker. There is also some ambiguity as to what coolant is in the third loop that cools the battery and whether or not one can get to it to change it.
    So these two items will not come due for quite some time.

For the DIYers among us:

Here is info I found on the plugs:
    Spark Plugs: NGK DILZKAR7C11H
    NGK web site:
    DILZKAR7C11H is a Laser Iridium Spark plug, stock # 90137, gap 0.044”
    This is the OEM designed plug
    Heat range 7
    24.3-32.5 Ft/lbs on Aluminum block
    NGK cautions against using anti-seize which can reduce friction up to 20% and lead to over tightening.
    It also cross references with the
    Iridium IX Spark Plug LKAR7BIX-11S, stock # 93501, gap 0.044”

Info on coolant:
    Engine Coolant is Honda Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2 (pre-mix)
    Under hood sticker says change at 10 yr if Maintenance Minder does not trigger
    1.31 gal to change

Info on oil and filter:
    Honda filter is a Filtech 15400-PLM-A01, don’t get the A02; it has paper end caps.
    Amsoil isEA15K13, verified by email. Amsoil also pulls up Wix 51356
    Fram filter is XG7317 (website)
    You can use those numbers to cross reference other brands.
    Please note that I am not making any filter recommendations in order not to start WWIII. I’m just throwing these out so you can use them to cross reference the filter of your choice if your brand doesn’t list the Clarity.
    0W-20 wt detergent oil with API Certification Seal , do not use additives
    3.5 qts with filter change
    pp 482-485 in the manual
    Hondas 65mm oil filter wrench
    17 mm oil drain plug
    30 Ft/lb torque
    Must use new oil plug crush-washer
    (Some say the Royal Purple oil filter is the same as Amsoil, and may be #
    10-2867, but I have no verification)

Tires:
    Tire size 235/45R18 94V
    OEM is Michelin AS Energy Saver
    55,000 mile warranty, non directional
    Wheel size 18 x 8J ET 50
    Bolt Pattern PCD 5x114.3
    36 psi, cold
    The Tire and Rim Association recommends the Forward Cross for FWD nondirectional Tires and rims as does Honda in our manual

Windshield washer fluid:
    1.43 qt or 36% of a gal. Therefore when adding RainX use about 1/3 (1.5 oz) of what a gal takes (4 oz) or just add regular amt to 1 gal of bottled fluid. (For @insightman!)

Brake fluid is DOT 3 (Honda) or DOT 4
    Cannot use DOT 5!!!!!!!!

Transmission fluid is Honda DW-1
    2.23 qts to change

Air cleaner, Honda # 17220-5WJ-A01
    College Hills Honda # 17220-PWJ-A01

CHH cabin filter 80292-TGL-E01

Fuses under dash are ATM-LP according to HiHoSilver

To enter maintenance mode to warm up ice for oil change and to run ICE to distribute oil after change:
    Posted by bratty on 12/14/18

1. Push start button twice WITHOUT touching brake to turn ignition on and Park symbol lights up in red.

2. Press brake, pump gas pedal to floor twice and release.

3. Press brake, shift to neutral.

4. Release brake, pump gas pedal twice.

5. Press brake, shift to Park.

6. Release brake, pump gas pedal twice. Dash will now say "maintenance mode."

7. Press brake, push start button once. Engine will start and idle.

To cancel this "mode", power off the car

So, Dealer = most expensive
    Trusted mechanic = less $
    DIY = least $

Edited: you can refill the used or expired tire puncture kit with a Slime product for $19 instead of replacing the whole kit. I forgot who posted this. Just Search Amazon for “Slime 10179”. OP said some parts are different but you just swap them with ones from the original kit.

14. JKroll

JKroll Member

some good info ketuckyken ... can you put that in FAQ.

15. KentuckyKen

How does one do that? PM Dominick?

Domenick likes this.
  16. JKroll

JKroll Member

So synthetic oil is more expensive and has to be changed more often. Looks like a racket to me

17. bobcubsfan

bobcubsfan Active Member

Did an oil change and filter for $25 with Groupon. $10 for tire rotation. The rotation was necessary at about 8,000 miles. Oil change not so much. About 700 miles HV on oil.

18. JKroll

JKroll Member

Assume not at dealer right? still good deal.

19. David in TN

David in TN Well-Known Member

I used to work part-time for an Advance Auto store. Because of "knowing the ropes" there, I usually get oil filters for around $3. 0w-20 full synthetic for $4/qt. I purchase in 6-quart boxes, and three of my vehicles use the same oil. Two use the same filter.

Not so sure about the tire rotation thingy -- my tires rotate every time I drive the car!!! ;)

20. bobcubsfan

bobcubsfan Active Member

But in reverse, it subtracts rotations. o_O

21. JKroll

JKroll Member

Both oil changes and tire rotations are overrated. Dont need it this often

Green thumb likes this.
  22. bobcubsfan

bobcubsfan Active Member

I agree. But don't want to violate the Honda warranty. Next car I will demand that all service be included FREE.