Puddles of water after driving through rain???

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by RV-CAR, Feb 16, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. RV-CAR

RV-CAR New Member

Wondering if any of you noticed this and if this is "expected'.
    We have been getting lots of rain recently in California. I park my car inside the garage. Within an hour or so i see big pool of water near the front tires and another one near the rear tires. I am not driving through water. I never do. It is just heavy rain.

It looks like someone just dumped a bucket of water near the tires. Seems to me that water is collecting up in the wheel base/undercarriage and draining slowly.
    Have you noticed this? Appreciate your feedback. Car is about a week old.

For comparison I never saw this with my Lexus, Prius; some wetness but not to this extent.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ab13

ab13 Active Member

The bottom car cover section is felt like, so it absorbs water.

4. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

Its strange. Why the heck is it felt-like? I have never seen anything like it on the bottom of any other car

5. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Agreed. It’s a strange choice of material and it’s also used in the wheel wells which makes no sense to me. Maybe it was light weight and cheap, so they chose it.

6. Richard Hwang

Richard Hwang New Member

Experienced exactly the same. The garage has a slight slope towards a corner and water collected there

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. rorozoro

rorozoro New Member

Same here. I have to use a broom to sweep out the water. It was never like that with my last car. If it's felt and absorb water, wouldn't that make it extra heavy when driving in rain? Also, its mainly in the back of the car I believe.

9. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

My Clarity leaks so bad when it’s raining that I’m running a dehumidifier in the garage to protect my tools from rust. Garage didn’t come with a floor drain.

10. Wdave

Wdave Member

To reduce the noise of gravel and rocks when they get picked up and slap against the inside of the wheel well.

KentuckyKen likes this.
  11. ClarityDoc

ClarityDoc Active Member

My guess is that it's not water-absorbent, but water adsorbent (large surface area but waterproof). The latter could briefly trap then release water. Just a guess.

I don't have this problem, since I have no garage. :-/

Sent using Inside EVs mobile app

KentuckyKen likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Jan

Jan New Member

Same here. Compared to our other cars , Clarity is the “leaking king”, by a mile. Plus, it seems to oddly accumulate more snow as well - so more leaking after it’s parked in the garage.

14. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Wow! I never connected my rusting shovels to our Clarity's need of diapers. Thanks, Ken!

ClarityDoc and bfd like this.
  15. Mike A

Mike A New Member

Thanks for posting this RV-CAR! Nice to know I’m not the only one with this issue. I’m the kind of person who drives a car for 10+ years. Hopefully perpetual moisture retention doesn’t cause corrosion issues.

16. Richard_arch74

Richard_arch74 Active Member

I wonder if the material has insulating properties? Maybe to help the traction battery from receiving radiant heat from pavement?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Inside EVs mobile app

17. RV-CAR

RV-CAR New Member

You are welcome Mike A. I am like you, typically keep a car for a long time. Not very pleased that I have to jump over puddles in my own garage. The gradient is not that great that the water goes out of my garage.

Mike A likes this.
  18. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

I was also glad to see this thread. My experience is same. Pretty big puddles at each tire. And yes, I literally broom the water out of my garage. Here in Oregon we sometimes get what seems like a month of rain (about this time of year). And yes, it's really hard to keep the garage dry.

Alex0913 likes this.
  19. Alex0913

Alex0913 Member

I’m also in Oregon and it happens the same to my garage except that is mostly on the driver’s side tire, almost where the plug to charge the car is located.

20. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

Yes, definitely biggest puddle by drivers-side front (near charging plug). I notice I get 4 puddles (each near the tire) with the biggest on the drivers side.
    I realize the EVSE is designed to be safe, but I occassionally get nervous standing in the puddle as I plugin my EVSE level 2.

21. ClarityDoc

ClarityDoc Active Member

As someone who charges exclusively outside (driving rain, snow,...), I can assure you that I am at much greater risk than you. A puddle is nothing in this context.

Sent using Inside EVs mobile app

22. MNSteve

MNSteve Well-Known Member

I suppose I'll have this issue if the temperature ever gets above freezing.