Hondalink registration frustration

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Tangible, Apr 27, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. iluvscuba

iluvscuba Active Member

I checked the Honda Link app and the email address is correct

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. LargeJohn

LargeJohn New Member

I cannot shed much additional light. I worked with Hondalink support for over a month, and asked them to verify email and name spellings. One day I got out of bed and it was working. I had gone thru the pairing process (entering PIN) probably 15-20 times before. I never discovered the root of the problem and Hondalink never 'fessed up if they did...

I was quite disappointed with their customer service, but it works fine now.

4. iluvscuba

iluvscuba Active Member

Thanks for all the help from everybody.

Called the Honda Support line and got someone in about 1 minute, after he verified I am who I say I am. He figured out the dealer submitted my email address has an 'i' entered as a 'j'. He said he fixed the problem and I should be able to get this done after the fix gets to the server but it may take 24-48 hours so I will try again tomorrow and hopefully it will work by then.

One other question, what is the procedure to add a 2nd driver so s/he can also use the Honda Link app on his phone?

5. LargeJohn

LargeJohn New Member

Good luck! Hope that fixes it.

I haven't tried a second device yet so hopefully someone else will chime in.

6. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

To add a driver, go on Honda Link App and select Vehicle icon at bottom, then Manage Drivers button, then Invite Driver. Enter their email and then they have a certian amount of time to respond.

iluvscuba likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. iluvscuba

iluvscuba Active Member

So an update to my Honda Link issue.

I tried again this morning after 24 hours after the Honda Link tech fixes my email address and it seems to work, I got a new code and enter my PIN and instead of getting an error message like yesterday, the app spins for a while and send me back to the dashboard and everything seems to be ok.

Except in the dashboard, there is no information, all I got is 'Activation in Progress, check back after your next trip', under that, Total Range, Battery, Climate, Parking reminder all said 'Cannot retrieve information'. I did a short drive of 8km but still nothing. I guess I will do a longer drive and see if that changes.

Another thing, I am using regular 110V to charge the car. For the past 2 days, I got 70km and 72km EV range. In the center screen under the Energy Information page, it shows 72km and 661km of EV and Hybrid range. But in the curve meter next to EV range, I can tell that the 'lighted' portion is not at the top like it's only 95% full. Is that normal?

The dealer told me they had applied the HV range fix but my range is still over 100km above the spec of 554km. Does it take a while or may be I need to put some gas in before that will normalized?

9. amy2421

amy2421 Active Member

My energy curve lights up to the top after a full charge, and my EV range is about 80-85 km (although this adjusts with your driving). I am also getting a total range of about 650+ km. The dealer said they would apply any bulletins or recalls before I picked up the car, but I don't know if they did the range fix or not.

10. MarkClarity

MarkClarity Active Member

If the range fix is applied with a full tank the driving history part of the calculation is reset, and it immediately changes to 357 miles (which would be 574.5km). If you have any higher range right at that point the patch was not applied. The range can go up higher on following fill-ups after driving a bit and the driving history shows a more efficient than average driving style.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  11. iluvscuba

iluvscuba Active Member

After 10 hours, my Honda Link app finally received information from the car.

Quick question, it displays the Range and Odometer in 'Miles', is there anyway to change the unit to KM?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. amy2421

amy2421 Active Member

Yes, mine is displaying in km's. I don't remember setting that and I can't find anywhere in the app to set the units.

14. iluvscuba

iluvscuba Active Member

Google is my friend. The app reads the language of my phone and my phone is set to English (US). Changed it to English (Canada), it now displays in KM

Jaketesla, amy2421 and KentuckyKen like this.
  15. wjcarpenter

wjcarpenter New Member

A "feel good" success story on this topic.

I've had by Clarity for about 6 months, trying off and on to activate the Hondalink app, but failing with the same symptoms described here. Finally, today, I called the in-car tech support line. I spoke to a very friendly fellow. He asked for or verified various pieces of information, went away a couple of times to check on something, and within a few minutes I was good to go. He had me log out of the mobile app and log back in. I was presented with the option to activate advanced features, which I did. Even though I was not at my car, I could immediately see the correct odometer reading in the app. All of that while he was still on the phone with me. No "wait 24 hours", etc.

I was very happy with the entire call, which all in all took only 10-15 minutes. It seemed like he knew just the things he had to do on his end. I didn't probe too much about what he was doing behind the scenes, but it didn't sound like he was lost and just trying random things.

V8Power likes this.
  16. Tangible

Tangible Active Member

Congratulations, wjcarpenter. I just bought a new Acura RDX and went through the same rigamarole with "Acuralink", which is a re-branded clone of Hondalink. It's amazing to me that new owners can't just drive away from the dealership with this stuff already set up and working on their phones.

17. Thought I’d revive this thread with my current situation. I’ve had my 2019 Clarity PHEV now for a week or 2 and the HondaLink app has always said “Activation in Progress. Please check back after your next trip” regardless of how many trips I take. I’ve spoken to HondaLink support about this 3 times now and I’m currently waiting for their IT support team to investigate which they’ve informed me could take up to 10 business days. This was...I want to say 4 business days ago? I’ll try to remember to report back with any updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

18. ClarityMTL

ClarityMTL New Member

I'm in the same boat as you, Kyle. Opened a ticket and waiting to hear back. I asked if this was a common issue and was told "We are not at liberty to discuss other customer experiences". The support person also confused "HondaLink" and "AcuraLink" a few times. Not sure if both of those are run though the same system.

Has anyone with a 2019 (Base or Touring) been able to activate HondaLink?

19. Tangible

Tangible Active Member

I have both a Clarity and a new Acura RDX. We just got an OTA software update for the RDX. Several of the announced bug fixes involved cases where the system was accidentally identified as HondaLink and has now been fixed to AcuraLink.

In other words, they’re the same system, branded separately for marketing reasons. It seems certain that they’re the same technical team too.

20. Evfred

Evfred Member

Count me in with the unable to activate. Been stuck at the “activation in progress” screen for about a week.

Oddly the odometer is correct though..

21. Heino

Heino Active Member

Check out a thread I created a while back called Honda Registration woes solved. The steps I outlined worked for me.

22. ClarityMTL

ClarityMTL New Member

Thanks Heino, but that didn't work. When going to hondalink.honda.com I did notice that the vehicle was greyed out, same as you. I tried adding my VIN again and didn't get the firstname/lastname message that you did. Instead it said "VIN is added to your account" followed shortly thereafter by the error : "There was an error processing your request, Please try later". I don't have an account at owners.honda.com (I tried logging in with the same username/password and it said "Sorry, we don't recognize the Honda ID or password you entered. Please try again."). From the app on my phone my full name is listed and it's been saying "Activation in Progress" for the past week.

Like Evfred above, The odometer reading is correct, and the parking reminder is usually at the correct location too. I think those values are being updated using my phone's data connection. It's the range, battery, and climate information that is still unavailable.

Update: I just tried creating an account at owners.honda.com and upon entering my VIN it says: "Not a valid Honda vehicle VIN". Perhaps they just haven't updated their system with the new 2019 VINs ?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  23. Evfred

Evfred Member

This might be it, I'm on the Canadian side so ours is honda.ca/account/vehicles but under my profile it shows no registered vehicles. Everyone with a 2019 seems to be having trouble so far. Honda customer support is currently closed but I will try calling and adding it to my account. Fingers crossed!