My new Kona Electric and my first impressions

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Domenick, Jan 19, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. It would be nice. I like to think more information is always better. Once these cars are in the wild for a bit, I'm sure someone will figure all this out, though.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. E-Shark

E-Shark Active Member

Thanks for the pics! Does the Velcro-like material make it difficult to remove the mats? Say if you wanted to wash them.

Brennan Raposo likes this.
  4. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

I found that if you press the unlock button on the fob, the plug will release.

5. KonaTom

Yes, I think they need to update the software to start applying the brakes slowly sooner. It might be related to the sight lines of the camera, maybe it doesn't see the other car until it is much later than when you would start applying the brakes. I wonder if it will learn through AI over time. It seems to me that the car is getting a little smarter as time go on. Does anyone know if it has 'learning' capabilities?

6. KonaTom

I think that the august date people are seeing is not an August build date. Cars that came into my dealer had those decals on the windshields and looked like an august build, but my actual build date was Dec. 20, 2018.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. KonaTom

Me too, and I have driven in quite a bit of snow. They are okay and when other cars were stuck, they plowed on through, so the are not bad. I will eventually replace them with michelins.

9. KonaTom

It stays up for some time, but eventually retracts after shutting the car off.

10. KonaTom

I trickle charge to 100% often. I don't think this will harm the battery in anyway as the actual capacity of the battery is more than 64kwh, so you are not really charging to 100% even though it indicates this.

11. To those of you who fitted their cars with winter tires: did you get TPM sensors from the dealer? If so did you go for aftermarket ones? They quoted me $225 per tire for the OEM sensors and after I stopped laughing I told them I'd opt for the $65 generics. Are your sensors calibrated and working properly? Just curious. I never considered going without sensors as staring at alarm lights on my dash for half the year would drive me nutty.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    Burnaby Tom and fiercely like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I believe one of our forum members had a slightly weird VIN and an actual August build date on his door sticker.

14. Hmm, I just came home with mine on a 130km drive and it seemed to work just fine. I usually leave a pretty decent gap between me and the vehicle ahead and I found I had to shorten mine to the 1 or 2 setting because at 4 it would start to decelerate and hang back almost 2 tractor trailer lengths.

CJC likes this.
  15. E-Shark

E-Shark Active Member

E-mail another dealership and see what they would charge you?
    If you were deciding on getting the warranty maybe you negotiate these in free?

16. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

Didn't even think about the sensors when we got the Michelin CrossClimates. They must have left the sensors in that came with the Nexen tires.

17. E-Shark

E-Shark Active Member

So I've left my EV parked and unused for the last week, didn't really want to bother taking it in the snow yet. I've been monitoring the battery levels and the range, so at least I can update everyone on that. In one week of no driving and minimal starting, maybe 2-3 times at most, battery dropped to 85% (from 86) and range dropped to 387km (from 388), not bad at all!! Now if I start driving it I wonder if it will decrease faster, that's for another day.

Domenick likes this.
  18. Vanryan

Vanryan Member

That was me that had the different VIN. The sticker on the car in the inside doorsill shows Aug 2018. The weird thing is that I emailed Hyundai Canada and they told me the manufacture date they have on file for this VIN is Dec 2018. I've got a case open with them to get more information...

Brennan Raposo and Wildeyed like this.
  19. Vanryan

Vanryan Member

Yeah mine dropped 1% sitting in my garage for 3 days without driving. Not bad at all. I didn't check the range before and after though.

20. Vanryan

Vanryan Member

Today I was driving over the Alex Fraser bridge in the blowing snow. I got an alert showing that my Front Collision Avoidance sensor was blocked and the system would be shutting off. When I parked the car and checked the front of the car the radar sensors were definitely covered in snow and as soon as I brushed them off the system was back to normal. I guess when there is no heat generated by the engine or headlights snow will accumulate on the front.

You can see the 2 orange lights that show up below.

IMG_6571.jpg

fiercely and SkookumPete like this.
  21. Burnaby Tom

Burnaby Tom Member

I have to say thanks to all my fellow Kona owners - and soon to be owners (hang in there Wildeyed!) - for all the great info everyone is sharing. I have also limited my driving this week because of the snow in Van city, mostly because of all the terrible drivers out there. The couple times I had my Kona out in the snow I was very impressed with it's stability & traction - and I'm still on the stock tires. I can't wait for the weather to clear - I've still got to take the drive up to Whistler.

Also, I gotta say a big thanks to E-Shark. Last Saturday I took my '92 4Runner to the Scrap-It yard. I started chatting with another customer in the office...we both had just bought a Kona...we both are following the InsideEVs forum..."What's your user name?" says I..."E-Shark" says he! We had a great chat, shared some info and then he was kind enough to drive me to the Skytrain station - saving me at least a half-hour walk on blustery, cold (for Van) winter day.
    Thanks again E-Shark! :)

Here's the link to the EV University on-line courses I mentioned: https://evannex.com/pages/ev-curriculum-courses
    I haven't completed all the courses yet. It's a few years old & the first few are pretty basic but they do get better (battery tech & regen).

Domenick, E-Shark, d-b and 2 others like this.
  22. Mdsweb

Mdsweb Member

I got my Michelin X-ice winters installed at Costco $15/tire installation (purchased at Canadian Tire on clearance @$138 ea).

I watched the whole procedure (Like a concerned new parent) and even got to take a peek under the car while on the lift.

I asked them specifically about the TPMS sensors and they said they are built in to the tire valves so it doesn’t matter what you install - they will still work normally.

fiercely likes this.
  23. Mdsweb

Mdsweb Member

TRUE ONE PEDAL (BRAKELESS) DRIVING!

I’m sure most of you have already used this feature ... but for my first week of driving I have kept it in Regen 3 which basically slows the vehicle to 10km/h and allows you to easily use the brake to come to a complete stop.

THEN TONIGHT I just realized that by holding down the left regen paddle for the last 10km/h the vehicle comes to a complete stop without ANY use of the brake pads!

With a little bit of practice, true one pedal driving can be achieved. The brake pedal literally turns into an “Emergency” brake only.

Wow I’m impressed- really loving this car.

Brennan Raposo, d-b and fiercely like this.