How to access hidden Infortainment settings (and driving restrictions)

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by David in TN, Feb 8, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. David in TN

David in TN Well-Known Member

WARNING!!!!!! YOU CAN BRICK YOUR UNIT. YOU CAN MESS THINGS UP THAT CAN COST YOU $$$ TO GET WORKING AGAIN. DOING THIS IS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO AIM ANY CAMERA (LANE WATCH, BACKUP) YOU WILL LOSE FUNCTIONALITY!

=======================================================

1. Press AUDIO, MENU, and * (light control) at the same time, and hold for a few seconds. It will change and give you a screen with two menus.

There are all kinds of information that you can get from here. You'll discover that even the Base Clarity has GPS built-in. It may not have the app in the head unit, but it knows where you are.

If you want to disable the "Don't Do This While Driving" setting, continue following these instructions. It will only work for this session. If you wish to repeat, you need to do it for each drive. With practice, you can get it down to about 10 - 20 seconds to get there.

2. Press and hold MENU until it changes to a screen with 10 menus, 5 on each side.

3. Select "Vehicle status" on the screen.

4. Select "Vehicle Model information" on the screen.

5. At the bottom of the screen, select "DD VSP Error".

6. Press the button and change it to "Off"

7. Press "BACK" until you get back out of these menus.

You can now access functions while moving as if you were parked.

MrFixit likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

David:

You are my hero !
    I spent a fair amount of time in these menus, and didn't relate this verbiage to the problem at-hand !!
    It would be nice if it were persistent, but at this point, I won't complain.

Reading between the lines, it looks like perhaps you may have tried to aim a camera and learned that was not a good idea? Just curious whether you had to resort to a hard-reset (battery disconnect) to recover that functionality?

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  4. David in TN

No....it was a 2016 Fit. I wanted to raise the aim of the LaneWatch camera, thinking that it might have adjustments of up, down, left, right.... but NOOOO!!! LOL! It requires a special aiming pattern, at a very precise location for the camera to fix its focus on. While it didn't BRICK the head unit, it did render the LaneWatch useless -- unless you enjoy looking at a bright red display filling the screen. :) Others have done worse.

5. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

Short of doing this myself, do you have a list of what you can do via these menus?

6. David in TN

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. David in TN

9. David in TN

I just got mine in December. My apologies for not searching for this link. But I had the chance to figure out the combination to enable"passenger mode".

Sent from my SM-N960U using Inside EVs mobile app

10. Olimpia

Olimpia Member

I know you can enable things like extra apps (browser, gallery) but is there any way to have them remain in there. It seems like every time you turn off the car the settings get reset and you have to do everything again.

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. David in TN

13. MNSteve

MNSteve Well-Known Member

Yikes! I was not aware of this, and I have no intention of becoming more aware.

It's one thing to brick your smartphone while trying to circumvent the controls that the manufacturer provided. I don't know how much of the car logic is accessible via this application. If it's just the entertainment and navigation system, I would have the same reluctance as doing it to a smartphone. (Which is to say, have a ball if this is your thing, but it's not for me.) If it has anything to do with the actual control mechanisms for the car, I wouldn't even consider it.

And this kind of thing is just going to get worse as we move towards things like autonomous vehicles.

14. Claire Green

Claire Green Member

can this be done while the car is moving? For example, can I have my passenger follow the step by step on the rare occasion where we need to input navigation while car is moving?

15. David in TN

I have on previous Honda vehicles. Haven't tried on Clarity yet.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Inside EVs mobile app

16. Claire Green

Claire Green Member

I must be doing something wrong or missing a step. I see the first screen shot you posted after I press power+menu+light control. But pressing the menu button does nothing. I have to press the lower option from your first screen shot to get to the 10 icons with "vehicle status". When I press "vehicle status" it takes me to a different screen not the one with the "vehicle model info"

17. MrFixit

Claire:

You are correct... I believe David missed a step.

There needs to be a Step 1a - Select the bottom menu button ("Detail Information and Setting...").

I just got this to work... Perhaps David can corroborate, and edit the first post accordingly. If it is no longer editable, contact Domenick and he can fix it for you. I think it is important to correct the original in this case !

18. Claire Green

Claire Green Member

Mrfixit, are you saying you got this to work? I did step 1A just as you describe and that's how I got to the screen like his second screen shot with "vehicle status" but when I click on that I don't get to the third screen like he posted where I'm supposed to click "vehicle model identification". Btw I'm doing this in the garage with the car on Accessory mode and ignition is off, is this where I'm making the mistake?

19. MrFixit

Yes... you are almost there !
    It will work in the garage just fine.

When you click the "Vehicle Status" and get the screen resembling the 3rd screenshot, there are more menu options than fit on one screen so you need to scroll (swipe up or down) to find the "vehicle model identification" entry. Then, the following steps should be fine.

20. MrFixit

David:

Helpppp !!!
    You were my hero, but now I may have to retract that comment !!

The procedure works (with the slight modification above). I can turn the "DD VSP Error" OFF as advertised.
    Sadly, it does NOT allow keyboard entry while moving (at least with the navigation system).

We tried disabling the DD VSP Error while in motion, and also from a stopped / off condition, and no joy. We verified that the new setting was indeed OFF (ie: the command took), and it reverted to ON again when re-starting (as expected). It just doesn't work to disable the darned 'distracted driver' thing.

What exactly are you able to do with the OFF setting that you can't do when it is on? Perhaps there are other features where this helps, but it doesn't seem to work with the built-in navigation (my main objective).

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  21. Claire Green

Claire Green Member

0CE701A3-5BF8-4364-BA7F-6FD9B2C5AC70.jpeg When I press vehicle status it takes me to this screen

22. MrFixit

Claire:

Sorry, I may have misled you...
    Once you get to the 2nd screenshot, you do NOT press "Vehicle Status"...
    Per the procedure, you need to press AND HOLD the menu button for maybe 15 seconds.
    Then you should get the 3rd screen.

I caution you however that I just learned today that this doesn't work for me. I was successful in going through the process of setting DD VSS to OFF, but unfortunately it still did not allow navigation entry while in motion. I think we need some more feedback from David.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019