Why no glove box lock?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Fast Eddie B, Feb 5, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. A small thing to be sure, but our Clarity is the first vehicle we’ve owned with no lock on the glove box.

Is this a trend? Seems like a lockable glove box provides at least some small level of security.

Thoughts?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

1. If somebody if willing to break into your car, they're likely willing to break the glove box door prying it open.

2. This isn't a hatchback. Store your stuff in the trunk.

neal adkins and Walt R like this.
  4. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

Different experience. I have never had a car with a glove compartment that locked. Didn't know there were such things.

If they want to steal the manual and the 20% off coupons for Bed Bath and Beyond, they must be really desperate. My experience is that they prefer the quarters for the meter in the console.

Walt R likes this.
  5. Claritydfw

Claritydfw Member

I don’t think a criminal is ever going to look at a lock on a glove box and say “oh well it’s locked I better go to the next car”. All a criminal will do is break the lock / door and still take what they want. When that happens you will have to fix / replace the door and or lock along with what they took. The only thing a lock could be good for is when you valet but at that point why would you keep anything of value in the glove box when you hand over your car.

Walt R and insightman like this.
  6. Thinking about it, maybe it’s part of pushing us towards a keyless future.

Still, I like the idea of a lockable compartment. Sure, a determined criminal with a prybar can get past the lock pretty quickly. But any deterrent is better than none.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Claritydfw

Claritydfw Member

Hate to tell you this but you don’t need a prybar to get past most glove box locks. Just pull on one hard enough with your hands and it will break open. At most all you need is a screwdriver. Ask me how I found out.

9. I guess my question was, is this a new thing, now commonplace for some reason?

I recall cars that had/have “valet” keys - separate keys that only worked in the ignition to hand a valet attendant to drive the car while keeping valuables safe. I still see the benefit, but looks like I’m an outlier now!

10. Claritydfw

Claritydfw Member

I am sure most manufactures don’t have it any more because it’s a way to save money on not having a item that provides false security.

11. Speaking somewhat obscurely...

...I’ve routinely locked things in the glove compartment I wouldn’t want my grandkids to get their hands on. I don’t see them using pry tools to get access. Security does not have to be 100% effective to be useful.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Claritydfw

Claritydfw Member

I get it . It’s a hard car to keep a firearm close by but secure enough that a young kid can’t get to it. The only issue with it being locked is that it would make it hard to get to if you did need it. It’s better to try and keep it on you as much as possible. One thing that I really do miss on my last tuck was the steel lockbox insert I could keep in the center console for this type of situation.

14. Bingo.

And some states may require said firearm be “securely encased” if carried in a vehicle. And that may or may not require a lock, depending on the state.

But I agree that with the proper permit, carrying on one’s person is a good option, and likely the best.

15. I recall somebody screwing in a small safe into the center console.

What did you do to your Clarity Today
    https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?posts/4577/

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

16. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

All of my previous Hondas (including Acuras) had locks on the glove box going back decades. This is the first one I've owned with keyless entry. It's obviously no big deal for Honda to include a lock. I suspect that they felt the hassle of owners getting the key out of their fobs every time they had to lock and unlock the glove box would infuriate them (it certainly would) so they left it off. Of course, they could have made the locking mechanism like the front doors but that would be pretty expensive.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  17. Claritydfw

Claritydfw Member

The miners was on my last pickup truck not the clarity but you can use something like this in the clarity

https://www.gunvault.com/product-category/car-safes/

It will keep kids away from a gun and can have a braided wire cable that can connect to a hard point under a seat to help secure it

18. Atkinson

Atkinson Active Member

I thought glove box locks were just a deterrent to keep parents out of your stash.
    And if I forgot to lock it up, I had no idea what was there and it was someone else's anyway.

19. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

On my old Priuses, I could reach over and get things out of the glove box while driving. This car is so big that I have to keep anything I need while driving (scissors to cut open the popcorn bag) in the console, but there is plenty of room there since with no CD player I don't need room for CDs.