Car starts charging when I plug in the cable.

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by leehinde, Jan 30, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. leehinde

leehinde Active Member

Three times now my car has started charging when I plug in my L1 cable at home. It's been outside my default charging hours. I haven't noticed a pattern.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ClarityDoc

ClarityDoc Active Member

perhaps a screenshot of your HondaLink app showing the "Charge Schedule" page?

4. leehinde

leehinde Active Member

upload_2019-1-30_17-32-20.png

Last time it happened was about 3:00 p.m. today. (I've since turned it off). And that schedule has been unchanged since I got the car.

5. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

Are you in Canada? Could it be drawing electricity for the battery heater?

6. leehinde

leehinde Active Member

I'm in Sacramento. The temp this afternoon was about 60°.

MPower likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

Oops, maybe it's trying to cool the battery (Clarity humor).

leehinde likes this.
  9. Tahuna

Tahuna Member

Greetings, fellow Sacramentan. I've noticed that a few times if I use the fob to open the charging door instead of the button on the dash. Any chance that's what's going on with you?

leehinde likes this.
  10. leehinde

leehinde Active Member

Yes. I used the fob to open the flap. But it was back in my pocket when I plugged in. It’s something to test. Thanks.

11. Claire Green

Claire Green Member

It was my understanding that using the keyfob to open the charge door cancels the charging schedule/charging time delay.

leehinde likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. leehinde

leehinde Active Member

I did not know that. I can say with certanty it doesn't cancel the schedule. I'll test the 'using the fob to open the flap will make charging start immediately' theory this afternoon.

14. WindsorBoy

WindsorBoy New Member

i ran into this issue a few month ago after having some service done. If I remember, after the service the charging schedule got lost and so it would start to charge as soon as it was plugged in. After I reset the charging schedule the problem went away.

15. rodeknyt

rodeknyt Active Member

That's not the case with our Clarity. I almost always use the fob to open the charge door and it doesn't charge until the scheduled time.

16. Claire Green

Claire Green Member

sorry for the confusion, after watching the Clarity information video a second time, the exact phrasing is "using the keyfob OVERRIDES (not cancel) the charging schedule". So, the schedule remains and don't need to be re-entered but if you're trying to charge outside of your schedule using the key fob to open the charge lid will override the schedule and will let you charge instantly.

WantEV and KentuckyKen like this.
  17. rodeknyt

rodeknyt Active Member

Not exactly. You have to press and HOLD the button on the fob AFTER plugging the charger in to make it charge instantly with a schedule set.

18. bfd

bfd Active Member

Another clue is to watch the green indicator light blink - if it's on schedule, it'll blink several times then stop. If it starts charging, you'll hear a tone. If that happens, just unplug/replug and wait for the blinking lights. I haven't noticed that it's the fob/open vs. interior button open, but I've suspected that's what's happening.

This can happen (in reverse) if you plug in and want to be charging outside of your scheduled charge. I've come back to an uncharged battery at least once because I forgot to press AND hold. Again, if you watch for the lights and listen for the tone, you'll be fine - either way.

19. Claire Green

Claire Green Member

Thanks for all the corrections, I will shut up now to avoid adding misinformation and confusion. I don't have a schedule so I've never ran into this issue before. Just trying to point OP in the right direction using my basic understanding of the Clarity. Thanks for adding the important details of how it actually works.