Anton Wahlmar endorses 2019 RAV4 hybrid over Model 3

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by bwilson4web, Nov 23, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Source_1: https://seekingalpha.com/article/4223658-new-39-mpg-toyota-suv-vs-tesla-model-3-fuel-cost-per-mile

The most significant car arriving in 2019 may just be Toyota’s new all-wheel drive SUV, which has been rated at 39 MPG.

At 39 MPG and today’s nationwide fuel price of $2.61, that’s $67 to drive the U.S. monthly average of 1,000 miles.

Guess what else is $67 per month? Driving a Tesla Model 3 while fueling it at the Tesla Supercharger ($0.26 per kWh in California).

He uses an 'Apples and Oranges' for California cost of electricity, $0.25/kWh, versus USA cost of gasoline, $2.61/gal. It turns out the USA average electric rate is $0.12/kWh and California gas $3.65/gal.

Source_2: https://www.kbb.com/car-news/all-the-latest/2019-toyota-rav4-hybrid/2100006080/

. . . on the fuel-economy side of the equation, Toyota estimates that the fuel economy numbers for the 2019 RAV4 Hybrid will be 41 mpg around town and 37 on the highway, and 39 mpg combined.

Expect to see more of this in the future. But these are familiar numbers to this owner of a 2014 BMW i3-REx:
    • 29 kWh/100 mi
    • 2.6 gal/100 mi (39 MPG)
    So lets start with the Model 3 long range vs. 2019 RAV4 hybrid:
    • 26 kWh/100 mi - Model 3 LR
    • 2.6 gal/100 mi - expected 2019 RAV4 hybrid
    Cost parity between electric and gas miles can be calculated:

X - $/kWh
    Y - $/gal

X * 26 = Y * 2.6 :: Parity

X * (26/2.6) = Y
    X * 10 = Y :: parity cost of gasoline as a function of electric rate $/kWh

X = (2.6/26) * Y
    X = 0.1 * Y
    Y * 0.1 = X :: parity cost of electricity as a function of gas cost​

Bob Wilson

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Personally, if I see this guy's name attached to an article, I just keep on going. The things of his I did read years back were fantastically wrong, and it looks like not much has changed.

petteyg359 and bwilson4web like this.
  4. Jimmy Truong

Jimmy Truong Member

Hybrid is so 10 years ago...move on!

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

5. Rex B

Rex B New Member

I was told there would be no math!

6. bwilson4web

Dominic is more politically correct than me. I prefer the precision and sharpness of math before calling someone a <insert Marine drill instructor term.>

Bob Wilson

Domenick likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. John Williams

John Williams New Member

Why don't you include the cost of the vehicle? When computing ROI in business, the cost of the equipment must be included. QED

9. Shadrach777

Shadrach777 New Member

Because Anton is bring up a false dichotomy between Toyota Rav4 and Tesla Model 3. It seems rather silly to ever make the comparison between a model 3 and Rav4 hybrid because consumers would not cross-shop between these two models. Bob is mentioning the obvious, that if someone wants to bring up random comparison for click-bait, one should at least keep the terms the same to compare apples with apples.

I just performed a quick search in my area, and a Ford Fiesta SE is the cheapest new car listed at under $10k. Is there any reason to compare the ROI between a $10k Ford Fiesta SE versus a $50k Tesla? A more apt comparison would be the RAV4 Hybrid LE versus a regular RAV4 LE, which in my area shows a near $6k difference in overall price.

10. TeslaInvestors

TeslaInvestors Active Member

TeslaInvestors recommends Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla hybrids over Model 3

Go farther. Go cheaper. Go cleaner. Go in rain and snow. Go in sun and cloud. Go forever!

11. bwilson4web

I would go with a Model S, P100D, with all the options.

Bob Wilson

12. To remove this ad click here.