Is Toyota going to completely miss out on electric vehicles?

Discussion in 'General' started by Domenick, Jan 17, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. 101101

101101 Well-Known Member

Cleaner air dirtier drinking water and maybe more Earthquakes. Hillary: Drink Miller Light its a bridge beer according to Haliburton brewing her former employer.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I appreciate sharing the notice but I've noticed such announcements often are long on press and short on action. It isn't you but rather the nature of how business is done:

[​IMG]
    They are not looking at each other.

There is a problem that battery technology is advancing faster than capital can make production facilities. This is what in engineering we call a "hard problem."

Bob Wilson

5. Gasper

Gasper New Member

This deal with Panasonic does not include Tesla Gigafactory, but from PR I understand that ALL Panasanic battery facilities will go under this JV with 51% Toyota stake.

I have a question. Where does Tesla get the 18650 cells for S, X and PowerPacks from? As far as I know they are not made in Nevada factory, they are supplied by Panasonic. In 2020, if Tesla still uses them, they are going to be supplied by the new JV, so effectively Toyota will supply Tesla with battery cells :D

That is interesting, or am I completely wrong here?

Edit: Was wrong the JV is only about prismatic automotive batteries, it affects plants in Japan and in Dalian, China.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019