Taking Pre-Orders in Canada

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by MCSqrd, Jul 6, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. zoominbc

zoominbc Active Member

I see most people are leaning towards the Juicebox for charging. Anybody considered other options?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

possibly chargepoint. They have a program in BC called zapBC, where you get a free charger, but have to pay for installing through their selected electricians.

4. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

I just filled out the Zapbc.ca application and have just sent them the photos they ask for i.e.photo of where you plan on installing charger, photo of current breaker panels, and you must show a picture of your 200 amp service. I just had to email back as they couldn't see the 200 amp in my photo. So far they have been very quick at answering back. The electrician that they use will get the permits.

5. My dealer emailed today saying my estimated arrival (London ON) is Feb 2, plus or minus a few days. Suhweet!

6. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

Bummer! I only have a 100 amp service, but an electrician said I had room for adding a charger. I guess that lets me out of the zapbc program.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I had a ton of room on my 200amp panel so I opted for a Sun Country/ Clipper Creek EV 50. Because I have an outdoor installation 30 feet from the house I wanted to have something higher powered to overcome voltage drop. Also, because it maxes out at 9.2kw I have some wiggle room for future upgrading too. I didn't want anything "smart" because most cars have apps now and the internet connectivity seemed redundant and a needless complexity. Also, size didn't matter when I was choosing (this station is pretty substantial) because it's on a post outside.

9. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

Yes they said if we didn't have 200 amp we should hire an electrician upgrade our system, and let them know when we had done that.

10. Brennan Raposo

Brennan Raposo Well-Known Member

Dang!
    That’s later than I thought it might be!
    I was hoping we’d have it before the end of the month lol!

Shawn Schinkel likes this.
  11. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

I suspect it will be sooner as the Kona's are hitting the ground in Vancouver right now. And I bet many are on the train moving cross country right now. Tomorrow is the big media event in Quebec so I hope we see some things in the news.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I sure hope so!

CJC likes this.
  14. GL Ontario

GL Ontario Member

Hyundai Canada's website has moved the Kona Electric from future vehicles to hybrid/electric

15. It's SO great to have the full build and pricing tool available. And accessories!

CJC, Brennan Raposo and Wayne Warde like this.
  16. Oilberta

Oilberta Member

Yes; good times. There's another vehicle carrier just docked at Annacis Island (3 pm), after a voyage of 13 days. It's the OPAL_ACE coming directly from Busan (new port), which is next to Ulsan, South Korea, where our Kona EV's are built.

17. Brennan Raposo

I really wish Hyundai had planned the media event for a local Ontario buyer, specifically to spite Doug Ford. I’d have taken a day off work just to take part!
    Heck, they should have extended the invite to him too!

Wayne Warde, CJC and Wildeyed like this.
  18. zoominbc

zoominbc Active Member

I see on the Hyundai Canada site, one of the accessories is a block heater. That should be useful!

Wayne Warde and Brennan Raposo like this.
  19. Brennan Raposo

Also a remote starter

Wayne Warde likes this.
  20. It comes standard with a leather shifter knob! It appears that Hyundai is still figuring out the bugs on marketing this new type of vehicle (that doesn't have all the normal ICE accessories!

Wayne Warde and CJC like this.
  21. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

That is quite the boo boo.

Wayne Warde and Brennan Raposo like this.
  22. I checked my insurance company today and they had no record of the VIN. He thought that maybe it was too soon. He recommended calling back closer to actual delivery. Also, today I got a quote for winter tires, rims and TPS @ $1500.00. This puppy is getting pricier all the time - and I'm already eyeing some accessories. Ka-ching!

CJC, Wayne Warde and Brennan Raposo like this.
  23. Brennan Raposo

Damn! That’s pricy! I paid less for the 19’s on my Santa Fe. You might be able to pick up some used tires with 80-90% tread at a local tire shop for $60 per tire or less. Steel wheels are $50 a pop brand new. Where are you located?