Standard cruise control no cruise speed indicated

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Thomas Mitchell, Jan 2, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Thomas Mitchell

Thomas Mitchell Active Member

When using ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control), the cruise speed is indicated on the display. When I use the “standard”, (non-ACC) cruise control, there is no indication of the cruise speed. The space where cruise speed would show is blank. What is your experience with this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. currypotter

currypotter New Member

I have observed the same. A little disappointing.

4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

The Owners Manual page 413 seems to erroneously indicate the opposite: That the selected speed appears only after ACC with LSF is switched to Cruise Mode.

upload_2019-1-2_17-24-59.png

5. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

Same here when I tested standard cruise mode. I always use ACC though, and I wish it would let go of the lock of the vehicle ahead sooner when changing lanes to pass... :) It is also frustrating when it smoothly slows you when a car in front of you slows and you realize for the last 10 minutes you been going 10+ under the speed limit... doh...

MPower, TruckerAlex and David in TN like this.
  6. familyclarity

familyclarity New Member

Mine does the same thing. No display of mph in the non ACC mode.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Thomas Mitchell

Thomas Mitchell Active Member

ACC is OK in certain circumstances but it is a bit overly aggressive at times, and it does not function when the front sensor is covered with ice. I prefer not to use it and It would be nice to not have to guess the set cruise speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Jaketesla

Jaketesla Member

In non ACC mode wouldn't the set speed be the same as the speedometer?

izudin, capt3450, 228ra and 1 other person like this.
  10. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

I love the ACC. If you can get behind a vehicle doing the speed you want, it's practically as good as auto pilot. Every once in a while, I do wake up to find I am cruising at 50 behind a delivery truck on the interstate.

Pegsie and LegoZ like this.
  11. insightman

Following a delivery truck might be dangerous to an expensive windshield, but cruising at 50 behind a truck on the interstate is perhaps the best way to maximize fuel efficiency while still getting you where you need to go. It took a cracked windshield on my 1st Insight to learn my lesson about following trucks too closely, but seeing 100 mpg readings on my Insight's Fuel Consumption Display was so exhilarating!

MPower and LegoZ like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

My preference is to find a tractor trailer that likes to go a little bit over it's 65 mph limit and has plenty of power on the hills. Then I set the ACC for the longest distance, tuck in behind and listen to audio books and podcasts. 1500 miles of "How's my driving?" Thanks for the slipstream, good buddy.

TruckerAlex and insightman like this.
  14. dnb

dnb Active Member

Also you can set your ACC to "passing speed" so if you do want to pass someone you can just merge (when safe of course :)) and the car will auto speed up and then slow down behind the next car when you merge back over.

I really like how you can set the follow distance as well.

The acceleration and deceleration depend on the car mode as well. Econ is very slow / consistent while sport mode is much more lead foot

MPower likes this.
  15. insightman

So your scheme is to set the ACC to, say, 90 mph, so your Clarity will speed up when you pull out from behind the car you are following and then use the ACC to slow down again when you pull back behind another (now slower) car?

Alternatively, you can simply use the accelerator pedal to pass the car in front of you and then lay off the accelerator pedal to allow the ACC to resume it's set speed after you've passed the slower car. This scheme would work better when traffic is light.

16. dnb

dnb Active Member

Not that fast, but usually like 5 mph above yeah. And yep I really like how you can accelerate when needed and it will go back to the normal speed after and not disengage. Also turning off CC with the paddles is nice for slowing and starting regen when leaving the freeway / turning.

Ceetee and Walt R like this.
  17. MNSteve

MNSteve Well-Known Member

It never occured to me that I could do that. Of course . . .

18. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

Gee when I tried to use the -paddle to slow down for an off-ramp while the ACC was engaged, the car squawked at me and I had to turn off the ACC with the break first.

19. dnb

dnb Active Member

It will beep to let you know its disengaged, you can even use the right paddle (so no extra regen) and it will disable it. I use it all the time

MPower likes this.
  20. Ceetee

Ceetee Member

The ACC on openpilot (aftermarket ADAS), is a bit better when someone cuts into your lane. It also has way better LKA. See demo video

Join slack channel #clarity on https://comma.slack.com if you are interested in joining that community.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019