Taking Pre-Orders in Canada

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by MCSqrd, Jul 6, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Wayne Warde

Wayne Warde Active Member

My wife and I have another bet going. I said that I would have to fill up our Toyota with has 5 times and she said 4 times .May as well make it fun to to help forget the frustration.

CJC likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. After getting the MSRP I have no money left for bets! I have given up trying to guess anything Hyundai might do but given that they've established a pattern of lying to us every two months I'd suggest the next jerk on our colectictive chains will be on or about Valentine's Day.

CJC likes this.
  4. Today my dealer sent me the internal memo that announced the prices to dealers. It also mentioned that the first shipment was expected in the first week of January. So that's where the "ship" rumour came from. I still don't believe it. Who is getting these cars? Nobody participating in any online groups, that's for sure. News of a confirmed build and delivery would have traveled like wildfire. Probably it's three cars for press junkets and publicity.

Oilberta and CJC like this.
  5. Patkemp

Patkemp New Member

That price may be a bit much for me especially with almost $2K for delivery, various added on dealer fees and then the wonderful GST tacked on. I will consider cancelling my order and request my deposit refund this week. Perhaps I will shop for a decent used i3 or something similar to dip my toes in the EV world.

6. Oilberta

Oilberta Member

Here's a possibility: per Marinetraffic.com, a ro-ro vehicles carrier (Asian Beauty) left Mokpo, South Korea on 17th Dec, destined for Vancouver BC (Annacis Island auto terminal, probably) and is now only about 190 kilometers away, approaching the US/Canada channel south of Victoria. I'm guessing two more days until mooring, then about 15 hours +/- to unload. No guarantee that there's Kona EV's on board, as the start of the voyage was not Ulsan. I'll follow this closely.

CJC likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

Oilberta thanks for following the ship and giving us some hope. lol I think there is a remote possibility that Kona's could come in without us being notified. I think that because the Hyundai Canada operation seems disorganized from the purchasers point of view. So there could be a bunch of disorganized people at head office. Who knows? In the UK, Norway, and the Netherlands all people who have ordered are given accurate dates for arrival and lots of information. What with our dealerships not getting information, I can imagine chaos at Hyundai Canada. I don't like being negative about Hyundai Canada but really how difficult can it be to send the people who ordered a brief explanation about reason for the delays and give a reasonable ETA.

9. I found a site (https://automotivelogistics.media/intelligence/south-korea-part-3-from-export-champions-to-masters-of-logistics)
    which says that both Hyundai and Kia do ship cars from the port of Mokpo, so maybe K.Asian Beauty does have our Konas on board. ETA in New Westminster is 8:30 tonight. Fingers crossed.

Oilberta and CJC like this.
  10. Oilberta

Oilberta Member

It's now moored at New Westminster (Annacis Island terminal). ATA was 2:45 AM (Wednesday). Any Vancouverite willing to drive down and see how close you can get ? Caveat: still no proof that Hyundai cars are on this. File photo attached is deceiving, as the ship is really long. ASIAN_BEAUTY-a.jpg

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    Bill MacDonald and CJC like this.
  11. Vancouverelectric

Vancouverelectric New Member

My Vancouer dealer says there ARE Kona EVs at the port in New Westminster but Hyundai Canada didn’t want to release them until January.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I am going to drive by this morning. Not sure how close I’ll get by I have binoculars.

CJC likes this.
  14. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

What a sweetheart you are for posting this. Thanks.

15. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

This is exciting! I was going to drive down, but I had a big fender bender last year and I have a little anxiety in heavy traffic situations since. I might start hyper-ventilating on the Alex Fraser Bridge as it can be a little head swiveling at the best of times lol. I need all that nifty technology on the Kona to help me out. lol

16. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

But it is January now! Did he mean some came in a while back and have been sitting there? Whatever it means I am getting excited!

17. mxs

mxs New Member

I don't get it ... you guys are discussing and speculating whether there are some cars sitting somewhere in the port in Canada or not ... if, any of the vehicles are for paying clients, those people would have to actually sign a binding agreement, typically followed with a VIN # ... to my knowledge, nothing of this sort has happened. I do not recall reading about one person who signed a purchase agreement with a dealer and knowing financial terms involved. I signed a paper which was an agreement to give them my refundable 1000$ with firm agreement to follow when they get rest of the purchase agreement verbage.

For me personally, I am in Ontario, so this car is now about 10K too high for my purse. Considering the size of the vehicle ... which really is shockingly small, especially the hatch space ... there's just no way for me to go for this. Will move on, waiting for Kia Niro EV ... should be lower price for more space, will see. Plus I already know what Kia can do with EV's, owning Soul myself for over a year.

I also think they will not be rushing to Ontario, due to the death of any rebates ... it's just naturally what limited production EV company will do. They can sell every car shipped to ZEV states in US, Norway, UK ... you name it ... so they will not risk shipping Kona's here and having to discount them. Not the way they work.

18. 8EAA6E99-BE0B-4BDC-86B2-6597A5639B19.jpeg
    Drove by the ship but couldn’t get close. Couldn’t see what they are unloading, but the parking lot is filled with hundreds of Hyundais and Kias. Saw some Konas but no EVs. Trying to post my pics but not sure it will work.

Attached Files:

Mdsweb and CJC like this.
  19. Wayne Warde

Wayne Warde Active Member

You need a drone my friend!!!

CJC likes this.
  20. Oilberta

Oilberta Member

Well that was quick; 1:45 PM PST and the ship has already left the dock at Annacis Island, and about ready to pass under the Alex Fraser Bridge. Destination is "Anchorage", but probably just means it will park somewhere past the mouth of the Fraser River (not going to Alaska :eek:) I attach a picture from the internet, of other off-loaded Kona electrics to show the bits and sheets of protection, that are usually only removed at the dealer.

Attached Files:

21. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

My sales rep says he heard Konas landed today, but doesn't think they could be for BC as no VIN's have been assigned.

22. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

Update! The first customer to order at my dealership is showing his Kona Electric has arrived. Yay. They just got an update about that just now. He isn't sure about other orders, but will let me know as he hears.

23. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

Thanks for going the extra mile! Sounds like we may have some here on Canadian soil. Doing the happy dance!