Energy saving tires

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by bigbug, Sep 18, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

I took the Clarity to America's Tire today for a second opinion. The guy used his little depth measuring tool and said the Honda dealer was wrong. He said all four tires are fine and guestimated I'd get another 10K miles on those tires. That should put us about mid 2019. I'm going to watch and wait.

insightman likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Electra

Electra Active Member

90 ft is Corvettes and 911s braking distances. Did you really measure that?

4. 66B3AFE5-3EF1-4D89-A899-25D0F5BF4452.png
    From the tire rack test results- see image. They used a BMW 430. Our actual 60-0 is 129 ft. Perhaps a decrease from 130 to 100 ft maybe more realistic but the 30ft differential is probably valid.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  5. Ken7

Ken7 Active Member

Stop tailgating and you won’t need to aggressively stop 10x as often. ;)

6. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

Tread depth tools are inexpensive and easy to use. Maybe get one yourself? That way you can keep track of things yourself ;)

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Sandroad

Note that the Tire Rack uses 50-0 mph for their braking distance tests, not 60-0 mph.

9. Electra

Electra Active Member

10. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

Funny Electra hah hah hah ;) . I do keep longer distances than most but if everyone kept the full recommended distances between cars on NYC area highways traffic would lock up for days.

11. I stand corrected on the distance. Tire rack tested the OEM tire and 50-0 was 107 ft vs 83 ft so an improvement of 24 feet. Tests were not done on the same cars so best we can say is stopping distance has been improved.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. S L .

S L . Active Member

I also had a small chunk of sidewall damaged and had to replace 1 tire. Is there a trend of the OEM Michelin sidewalls getting easily damaged?

Has anyone researched what are good replacement tires for the clarity?

14. Valente

Valente Active Member

I hit a curb and tore a chunk of tire out of the sidewall. Had to have it replaced as well. Went to dealership and got the OEM tire. Costco had the same tire at the same price so I went with the dealership. $211.

15. Sandroad

Sidewalls of low profile tires like we have on the Clarity are much more easily damaged, regardless of brand. Here's some reading at the Tire Rack about the issue. I sure wish this vanity trend toward rubber band tires and huge wheels gets over with soon and we get back to tires that have some sidewall

https://tires.tirerack.com/tires/Sidewall Damage

For replacements, quite a few folks have posted on that. Run a couple of searches for tires on the forum and you'll have an evening's worth of reading.

16. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

When the originals wear out, you can switch from the OEM 235/45/18 to 215/50/17 tires. On some tires the 17" ones are $100 cheaper, the price of basic alloy rims. You gain a half inch of sidewall and a clarity that doesn't look like every other one!

Mmisola likes this.
  17. ryd994

ryd994 Active Member

That means another set of rims.

18. ResilientMtl

ResilientMtl New Member

Hello Clarity owners, I was advised by the dealership that my original tires were approaching the end of their useful life (45k km) and a visual inspection of the tread looks reasonable. Throw in a slow leak in one tire and it looks like I'm due for new tires. I agree with prior posts about the performance of the stock tires, it is good; but less than 45k km's is pretty short life for a tire. I don't drive agressively. Costco has the Bridgestone EP422 Plus as less expensive than the Michelin A/S, tirerack test (https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=121 ) seems to show that the Bridgestone is overall better with the Michelin giving you the best fuel efficiency but not always the best results. The Bridgestones are also $300 cheaper at Costco for a set of 4....which in a Clarity is a lot of kms to save that much in gas. I run Blizzaks on 17 inch rims in the winter (destroys my efficiency and they're loud, but they really grip and slice through heavy snow) so they'll just be used April to October up here in Quebec. Won't be buying them until Sept/Oct so if anyone has a strong opinion of the EP422 I'm listening. Thank you.

19. On the right is my stock tire, replaced at 43,000 miles with a bit of life left:

[​IMG]

This is what I replaced them with:

[​IMG]

Not energy efficient, but the price was certainly right.

So far, so good. I can’t tell much of a difference in either noise or handling. This summer EV miles seem to be down from 48-50 to 42-44, but I don’t know how much of that is due to being almost 3 years old and how much might be the tires. I’ll have a better idea once I do my battery capacity test next week.

228ra likes this.
  20. larrenz

larrenz Member

I'm looking at getting the Continental PureContacts from 4wheelonline. They might affect the range a bit but I want to have grippy tires that are less expensive than michelin.

21. My 2018 traction battery capacity turned out to have a measured drop of 55 aH to 46.62 aH after almost 3 years and 56,560 miles. That could easily account for most of the drop in EV miles I’ve seen, though it’s still possible the non-Energy Saving tires contribute a tiny bit to that drop.

22. dnb

dnb Active Member

I've only gone ~22000 miles and my OEM tires are apparently shot... the front two are almost bald (2/32?!?!) and the dealer refused to rotate them when I last took it in for maintenance... I've had them rotated each time I've had to take my car in so no clue why they are off so much.

Was looking at some from Costco this month and hope they last a lot longer than the stock ones did because they were duds :(

upload_2021-8-25_15-0-18.png

Anything wrong with that set?

23. 60Hertz

60Hertz Member

Just turned over 22,000 miles on my 2018 Clarity and original set of tires still in good condition (6/32-7/32 tread depth). I have seen in the forums many complaints of very short life on the original EnergySaver tires. Can't help but wonder why the widely differing experiences. I can't imagine there would be that much inconsistency in the manufacturing nor that much difference in driving conditions to get such drastically different results.