Energy saving tires

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by bigbug, Sep 18, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bigbug

bigbug Member

I got a cut in one of the tires when I accidentally scratched the curb a few days ago. The tire shop quoted me $280 for the OEM Michelin Energy Saving Tire, and $170 for a normal tire of some name brands. I have no idea what makes the energy saving tire special and 60% more expensive. Is there any concern if I just replace it with a normal 4 season tire ?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ClarityDoc

ClarityDoc Active Member

Others may know the particulars about energy-saver tires, but I would avoid having different tires side-to-side, period.

DaleL likes this.
  4. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

The OP can replace all four tires with regular A/S tires and likely enjoy better handling and braking. However, EV range and mileage will suffer though. If you wish to just replace the damaged tire, you must replace with the exact same tire. Otherwise, the car will not handle properly.

insightman and ClarityDoc like this.
  5. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

As noted in posts above, don't mix tire brands/models. Go with the Energy Saver, but get a better price. You've been quoted a price almost 20% too high. You can get the Energy Saver in the Honda OEM size for $226 with free shipping from the Tire Rack and most places will mount and balance a tire for $12. I'm sure your tire shop can to better than $280.

6. Parja

Parja New Member

Yup, you'll definitely want to replace the tires in a pair if they're not the same tire. Should be fine replacing just a pair though. No need to do all four. Just make sure the fronts match and the rears match.

The price is more because they're Michelin tires than them being energy saver, but $280 (unless that's Canadian) is pretty nuts. Find a different shop.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    ClarityDoc likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. bigbug

bigbug Member

I should have stated it’s CAD$. The price sounds reasonable compared to USD$. With all the gas savings, I will just go with the OEM tire. Thanks for all the replies.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

9. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

Others have not been pleased with the OEM tires. I like them a lot. I think they corner well, are smooth riding, but could be a bit noisy which is typical of low rolling resistance tires. I plan to buy the same OEM tires when needed.

insightman likes this.
  10. jdonalds

New info may make me change my mind. I took the Clarity to Honda today for A12 service. They measured the tires at 3/32. The tires only have 21,000 miles on them. I expected them to last at least 40,000!!!

Now I'm going to have to reconsider buying these same tires again even though I've liked them.

I know not many Clarity cars have 21,000 miles yet like our car. Has anyone else found their tires are wearing too quickly?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    ClarityDoc likes this.
  11. jdonalds

I'm assuming everyone has the same tires as original equipment on their Clarity. Right! Looking at the tires on my car they are Michelin Energy Saver A/S. Is this what you have?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

Yes, Michelin Energy Saver A/S 235/45/18. I only have 3800 miles on mine, so I can't tell about wear yet. So far, I also plan on staying with this tire as I like them a lot.

14. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I just went down into the basement to confirm that Michelin Energy Saver A/S are the tires that came on our Clarity PHEV.

Driving part of the year on snow tires stretches the life of our summer tires. Because you never see snow where you live in California, that wouldn't work for you. Perhaps you should avoid doing burn-outs at the drive-in (oops, there I go, dating myself again).

I always thought of Michelins generally as long-lasting tires, but the weight of the Clarity doesn't promote long tire life. However, you are right to expect more than 30,000 miles from a set of tires not made for the track.

15. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

Same on mine. Yes these are 480 rated so they should last a lot longer, I think 480 means they should last around 48,000 miles. Have you had problems with tire wear in your area with other models? Road abrasiveness does vary. I'm sure you kept the pressures right. One thing that I don't hear mentioned much for tire wear is average driving speed. I've often thought how could tires wear at all in driving at 30-40 mph or less? I think the vast majority of wear must come from highway driving. So what percent of your driving is highway? And what is your typical speed?

16. Vezz66

Vezz66 Member

The OEM Michelin UTQG rating is 480-A-B. That seems to be the price in Canada.

1010tires.com (Ontario) has a number of quality tires for less than the Energy Savers, but with a higher threadwear rating.

The Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 Plus, for example, is rated 640-A-A and sells for 210CAD

The Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 Plus is engineered to be more fuel efficient to get more miles per tank.* Designed to be durable, the Ecopia EP422 Plus now offers a 110,000 km treadwear limited warranty.** Engineered for some of the most popular sedans and minivans on the road today, the Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 Plus offers dependable all-season performance, confident handling and a comfortable ride.

17. ClarityDoc

ClarityDoc Active Member

Interesting - I would think the opposite, that starting/stopping/turning in town would produce more wear per mile than driving (mostly straight, no tight corners) on the highway.

18. David Towle

Let's discuss! My reasons are:
    1. Tires generate much more internal heat on the highway from the faster speed, which I assume weakens the rubber.
    2. It seems to me at low speed when deflected via cornering or stopping, the rubber should be able to snap back, versus on the highway it seems the greater speed could rip off micropieces.
    3. I do agressive stops probably ten times as often on the highway when traffic comes to a mystery halt. And realize that a stop from 60 takes 4 times as far and 4 times as long on the road as a stop from 30, that's a lot more time to generate heat and rip rubber.

Your turn ClarityDoc

LegoZ likes this.
  19. I replaced the OEM tires immediately with BF Goodrich Comp 2 summer tires. I paid about $1200 (Cdn) for them at Costco and sold my "brand new" Michelins A/S for $750. Handling was greatly improved (the car wallowed through tight corners before) and braking went from 120ft to 90ft for 100km to 0. Collision mitigation becomes collision avoidance. And we all know how much our insurance deductible is. They will probably last almost as long as the OEM tires, maybe one season less. Running all season tires and winter tires just doesn't make sense in Ottawa. My 2 cents.
    tire.jpg

Louis Nisenbaum likes this.
  20. Valente

Valente Active Member

The same thing happened to me. I scraped a curb and ripped the side of my tire. I had it replaced with the same type tire for $211 for the OEM Michelin at the local Honda dealer here in Palm Springs. They advised to go with the same tire. Makes sense. All tires should be the same. Costco wanted the same price but they didn't stock it and had to order it. I didn't want to wait.

21. David Towle

For FWD or AWD I agree, but don't do this for a RWD car if you live with snow. I got caught without the snow tires on my BMW one year and couldn't even make it out the driveway. An hour in the garage and I got the snow tires on and it drove fine.

22. David Towle

That's a cool looking tread. I assume you weren't able to get any gas mileage data before turning them in so you could compare to the new ones?

Louis Nisenbaum likes this.
  23. The best I could do is max distance travelled on a charge - 103.2 Km which is comparable but not the best. I estimate I lose about 4-5% distance with these "higher rolling resistance" tires. Safety before economy though. :)