Oil level high

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Louis Nisenbaum, Nov 6, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Clarity_Newbie

Clarity_Newbie Active Member

My two cents
    1. Clarity mileage 4k with 900 miles on ICE with factory oil still in place
    2. Checked oil level while still on dealer lot and several times since ownership and oil is within range with no noticeable change in the level. Always check new vehicle fluids for multiple months so I can get a "feel" for what is normal for any given car.
    3. Have checked oil for "gas" smell since reading this thread last week. At first I though maybe so...
    4. Checked 2017 Toyota Rav4 hybrid with 25k miles and smell from dipstick is real similar...also runs 0w-20 full synthetic
    5. Checked 2019 Subaru Impreza with 2100 miles and smell is real similar...factory oil still in place
    Based on my rudimentary testing procedure, I see no evidence of unusual smell off the Clarity vs my other vehicles.

Plan on waiting until I change the oil at the 12 month mark to see if any change.

Caveat: Someone comes up with concrete evidence this engine has issues then a trip to the dealership will be warranted.

Like others, I marveled at the fact I could go one month and use virtually no gas and brag about using only EV mode. The more I thought about it...I personally am not real sure it is wise to count on the occasional system check which runs ICE for so called maintenance to lubricate etc. For the last 3 months, I make it a habit to run HV mode 2-3 times a month for the whole day just to exercise the engine, generate the heat required to burn off moisture etc. In other words...do what an ICE is designed to do.

Not an expert but IMHO, these cars are not designed to be full time BEV's...they do have an ICE which necessitates they run occasionally...the argument will be whether or not the rare system checks are enough...and I say they are not.

Good luck!

Phunny likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. RogerB

RogerB Active Member

I imagine that Honda has given it plenty of thought, especially with regards to potential warranty issues, and has set the system check at what they determine to be an adequate frequency. There is a lot going on behind the scenes that is unknown to us, which may impact what that correct interval is. Granted, I usually run about 10 miles of ICE three times a week based on my commute, so it will never be an issue for me, but I wouldn't have any qualms keeping it to just system checks if my commute allowed for it.

4. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

I own the car since March. 4k miles and less than 250 miles on ICE ( I am on my 4th tank of gas) and my level is high. I have an oil extractor and will just pump some oil out and safe it somewhere, just to be safe. Don't like overfilled engine. Given the small engine size, I don't expect more than a cup of oil.

5. Atkinson

Atkinson Active Member

The oil in my Clarity as delivered was high as reported by others.
    After the first change where I filled the oil to the correct level, it has remained at full and has not changed.
    I would think that Honda wanted to make sure initial break-in was compensated by the over-fill.
    Or they just don't know how much to put in at the factory.

6. Timothy

Timothy Active Member

Just some more data. Clarity purchased in February. 6,128 Miles. Original oil. Oil level is high (top of plastic). Slight gasoline smell. Our service is in about two months. I will follow the oil level after that.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Ray B

Ray B Active Member

Mine too - about 1/4" onto the metal above the plastic end.

I wonder if a simple test may be (if anyone has a sensitive scale/balance), to let a small sample dry out for a period of time (maybe also warming it gently) and see how much weight loss happens. If there is a significant amount of gas mixed in, it should lose more weight than a normal control sample of oil. With a sensitive balance it would only take a couple of grams of sample oil to be able to measure the difference.

9. Gearhead

Gearhead Member

A possibly significant factor is the oil level should be checked after the engine has been running. My engine rarely runs at all so while the level looks a little high (7 month-old car) i have to try it again after running in HV mode a while.

10. randyadams2518

randyadams2518 New Member

I have a 2018 Clarity with 4k miles and drive it weekly on extended trips where the ICE runs for 30+ minutes on the interstate and my oil level is up above the plastic on the dipstick. I didn't check it when purchased but the oil is still clear but smells like gas. I would think that any fuel vapor or condensate should evaporate with that amount of interstate driving as the engine should stay hot. I will get an early oil change and then monitor it better and report back

Phunny likes this.
  11. Phunny

Phunny Member

Thanks randyadams2518 for your post. I was hoping a change in ICE usage would cure the issue.

I have my dealer appt in a week and a half (first available!). It seems like Honda could say that the fuel presence is within their design spec. The maximum level violation though is objectively not since they clearly indicate their spec on the dipstick.

I am going to get an oil extractor pump since oil transfusions look to be in my future.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. My oil is high too...about 1/4 inch above the plastic. This sounds similar to the levels that other are reporting so it's increasingly likely that this is the level Honda put in at the factory...which is completely conjecture of course. I'll also wait for Ken's test results before taking it to the dealer.

I checked it a month or so ago and I think it was about the same level. My engine runs about once a week or so for longer trips. I attached a photo of the level.
    Clarity Oil Level 20181123.jpg

14. Phunny

Phunny Member

The dealer I went reported that the oil level was "within spec and that the smell was normal."

The reading on the dipstick is still above the maximum mark.

15. Steven B

Steven B Active Member

Phunny, Louis Nisenbaum and jorgie393 like this.
  16. MNSteve

MNSteve Well-Known Member

Johnhaydev likes this.
  17. Phunny

Phunny Member

Thanks @Steven B ! That report looks great.