Doors require greater force to close than other cars

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Linkmodo, Nov 20, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Linkmodo

Linkmodo Member

My Clarity's door is hard to close with regular force compared to other cars... The doors require greater force to close...

Often times me or my wife entering the car and start driving, only to realize one of the doors were not closed all the way... Or when we get home and exit the car, I try to lock the car but it would not lock because obviously one of the door is not closed all the way...

Is this common with other owners out there?

Thanks!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Only a very few have posted with this problem. The great majority of us have normal, easy to close doors. Mine closes easier than other cars I have owned. If it were my car, I’d have my dealer adjust the latch.

4. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

For ambient sound reduction Honda designed the doors to have double seals. I would check to see if the seals are seated properly. If the seals are not pushed on tight that could be your problem.

5. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

Mine was the same on 2 of the 4 doors. Drove my wife nuts. Simple door striker adjustment...not the latch. Anyone with body shop experience can make them close as easy or hard as you want to in 2 minutes or less by moving striker inboard or outboard about a half millimeter. Subtle change goes a long ways and requires a torx bit in a ratchet. If you're not comfortable trying it or don't have a good torx bit, make sure you tell them to raise the headlight aim while you're back at the dealer asking them to do it -- another 2 minute adjustment that takes only a phillips screwdriver, and most every Clarity has headlights aimed too low from the factory to be bright enough to see by. They can come up quite a bit, and not blind oncoming traffic, really benefiting the driver. My wife likewise thought the headlights were terrible until I fixed them. Now she likes them. Brights are still kinda weak but that's just a design problem with the assemblies and can't be fixed easily.

6. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

I said latch but meant the static U shaped bar on the door jamb. Now I know it’s called a striker.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

Yup that’s the part. If you loosen the 2 torx screws the Striker moves up down in out and all around as needed to get doors to close right and gaps even. Trial and error till you get it how you like it. The latch itself is in the door and has zero adjustment capabilities.

9. FlaDave

FlaDave New Member

Thanks for these replies. I have one door (front driver's side) that needs to be slammed in order to be properly closed.