Added another PHEV to the family

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by loomis2, Nov 19, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. loomis2

loomis2 Well-Known Member

The Clarity has always been the wife's car. It is now my turn to get a new car and I went with this 2016 Cadillac ELR. I was surprised how well the Clarity compares to the Cadillac as far as drive comfort and amenities. In fact, I may even say the Clarity is more comfortable to drive. Add in the drive assist features and brake hold and the Clarity comes out on top of a car that originally cost over $70,000. Except looks. This car just looks good no matter what.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

The ELR is certainly the ultimate expression of Cadillac's "Art & Science" design language. One car magazine called the ELR's interior the best of any car. I always admired its looks and interior but couldn't handle the cost, and was certain the 35-mile EV range would soon be eclipsed by competitors (I hoped it would be a Honda because I buy only Hondas).

So you've got me wondering about your choice of form over function. How many miles on the odo and how many dollars out of the pocketbook? Did the fact that the original owner got a $7500 tax credit factor into the price?

4. WantEV

WantEV Member

it's a looker, rich cousin of gen 1 volt! question is... how much?

5. Electra

Electra Active Member

I guess around $35-45k depending on condition and mileage.

6. loomis2

It was $33k, which I was very happy with. It has the upgraded leather interior, the upgraded wheels, fully tinted windows, rubber floor mats and trunk liner, and adaptive cruise. It has 43,000 miles, which is a little high, but it is still under factory warranty. I had to have it shipped here to Cincinnati from a private seller (who bought a Model 3) from Arizona. All I was looking for in any ELR was the adaptive cruise and upgraded leather. The rest was a bonus. There were only around 500 made in 2016 so I knew if I found one with those things I would probably have to jump on it, wherever it may be in the USA. Convincing the wife was the hardest part.

I'm still amazed how well the Clarity matches up with it with everything. The ELR is supposed to have active suspension that is always changing with the terrain to give a smooth ride but the Clarity is smoother, and quieter. I'm still happy I got the ELR but I'm glad we got the Clarity first.

Mark W, VTSAX, bfd and 1 other person like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

With its good looks (IMO) and low production numbers, your pre-owned ELR will hold its value better than a new Clarity. Wait, did I just speculate that a GM car would hold its value better than a Honda? This is a special case.

9. loomis2

My biggest concern is parts, particular on the exterior, will be hard to come by very soon. I am worried my taillight will get broken and the car will be totaled because it can't be fixed. Which sounds ridiculous, but I guess that is a thing.

10. loomis2

One area where the ELR smokes the Clarity is the sounds system with it's 10 speaker Bose system. Man does that car sound amazing!

11. insightman

Wondering how much juice your Bose rig consumes reminded me of a funny incident on a short-lived TV show:

After Seinfeld's show was over, Michael Richards briefly had his own show. In one episode, the show's plot revolved around gen-1 Insights, which they pretended were electric cars--complete with dubbed-in whirring, electric-sounding running noises. Richards and a passenger were chasing another "electric" Insight and they were just about to catch it when Richards' passenger reached out and turned on the radio. "No, no!" Richards yelled as their car ground to a halt while the other car got away.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. lanb

lanb Active Member

The 33K question - How is the EV range after 43K miles ? I think the ELR is rated for 40 EV miles.

Also, how does the cold weather affect it ?

14. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

I bet the range is the same as when it was new. I have a 2012 Volt and the range has not changed in 72K miles. That doesn't mean that the battery hasn't degraded any, just that you can't tell it since the usable amount is the same. Cold weather doesn't seem to affect the Volt as much as it does the Clarity, but the Volt has more information to help manage minimizing Climate drain. One of the screens shows overall driving "efficiency" and climate "efficiency". When the Climate efficiency is low, it entices you to compensate by turning down the thermostat.

15. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Nice! But you can’t get 3 in the back seat. How’s the trunk room?

16. WantEV

WantEV Member

yeah, I am a little disappointed that Clarity doesn't have clarity in sound :( My friend's TM3 smokes Clarity in that regards as well. and a few other areas...

17. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    Ha, don't ask practical questions about the ELR. There is nothing practical about it. I test drove one once. The opening for the trunk is comical. 3 in the backseat? Have fun fitting 2 adults in the back seat. It's not about being practical, but it looks soooo nice. I would love one! IMO is one of the nicest looking cars I've ever seen.

insightman, Electra and KentuckyKen like this.
  18. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    Love the look of ELRs, and I think your wheels and tinting make it look even better. Congrats.

19. Great looking car. Congratulations!

20. loomis2

The trunk can hold a fair amount but not as much as the Clarity. The trunk opening is narrow because the rear window goes almost to the end of the car. But it is pretty deep.