Keyless Remote Not Detected - Clarity problem in less than a week...

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Linkmodo, Nov 19, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Linkmodo

Linkmodo Member

I owned my brand new Clarity for a week now with 230 miles driven... Over the weekend my Clarity has developed a problem with my key remote. When I turn the car off and exit the car, the car would make a serious of fast beeps. (Same beep as if you left car running and then took the keyless remote outside of the car and closed the car door.

I peaked inside the dashboard and it says keyless remote not detected... And all the lock/unlock and trunk opening options are disabled on the remote as well, pressing any key in the remote, the car just pretend that there is no such remote in my hand...

I also tried to charge my Clarity after exiting my car when I got to work, and the car would not charge, the system ask me to unplug it...

I enter the car and try to start the car, it still says remote not detected. Unless I put the key right next to the start button as an emergency start method for low battery would the car start again.

I started the car and turned it off, the remote seems to be working normally now so is the charging.

Wasted 10 min standing next to my car looking like an idiot in the parking garage... anyone else have similar issues?

Attached Files:

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Richard_arch74

Richard_arch74 Active Member

@linkmodo, I have not noticed another person mentioning that specific problem (in the last 3 months on this forum). So once you were able to start the car, keeping the remote close to the start button, have you had any problems since? Have you tried your second remote to see if that had any similar issues? I'm curious what your manufactured date is. Could be as simple as the battery to the remote is on its last legs (even though you just took delivery).

Sent from my Chromebook 15 CB515-1HT/1H using Inside EVs mobile app

Gearhead likes this.
  4. LAF

LAF Active Member

It means you are hanging around the car too long, especially if you leave toward the trunk. Step away faster. The car thinks the key is still in the car

5. Linkmodo

Linkmodo Member

But when I try to get back in the car it still says key not found... Shouldn't it detect the key when I re-enter the car?

Happened twice already since the weekend and at different locations. My last '14 Accord EX-L had similar keyless remote and never had a problem detecting my keys when I leave the car...

6. Linkmodo

Linkmodo Member

Mfd is 07/2018... I'll check voltage on battery but I doubt the battery could go bad this quick.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I think he means the battery in the keyfob. That would certainly explain all of the symptoms you describe.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

ClarityDoc likes this.
  9. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Pick the low hanging fruit first.
    Try replacing the fob battery.
    Having to hold it so close may be the diagnostic give away.
    Let us know if that helps.

10. Steven B

Steven B Active Member

1) Low battery in fob, 2) fob signal blocked by fob jacket (or pants pocket faraday cage) or 3) interference with cell phone in same pocket.

ClarityDoc likes this.
  11. qtpie

qtpie Active Member

I would say check for nearby interference... such as other key fobs, bluetooth/wireless devices, etc... I ran into this issue before with one of our cars (not Clarity). Turned out that my friend's key fob was interfering with mine. Every time he's nearby my car, my key fob cannot be detected.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

cell phone in the same pocket as fob would cause issue too.

14. Linkmodo

Linkmodo Member

Just checked on the battery, running a bit on the low side, so I've replaced both key fob's battery with fresh 2032s. I'll try to not put fob and cellphone in one pocket.

I noticed something interesting when I was charging my car, that the electric interference is so strong when I turned my iPhone on near the car to try to take photos of the dashboard through driver's side window, my camera app is totally screwed up and is constantly flashing the screen... I had to unplug the charger from wall to be able to take any photos... I would definitely not want to charge the car anywhere near where people are hanging out, for health reasons...

Old Battery
    [​IMG]

Fresh Battery
    [​IMG]