Couple of issues I found after I bought a spare wheel for spare tire

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Robert_Alabama, Oct 19, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

I've read a good deal of posts about using temporary tires for spares for the Clarity. I thought I'd take a minute and share some of what I've seen. I bought a full size wheel for the Nissan Maxima (2009 through 2014 I think) on Ebay. These are commonly called v spoke wheels and can usually be bought for less than $100 (I paid $60 delivered). They are 18x8 rims with 50mm offset and the 5x114.3mm bolt pattern so all that matches the Clarity. Anyway, I thought I would mention a couple of issues with this that might apply to other wheels purchased as spares or for winter tires. I did not know that Honda uses a ball (radius) lug nut, while the Nissan Maxima wheel needed conical (acorn/bulge). So I had to buy 5 additional lug nuts which were conical/acorn/bulge for the spare. Also, the Nissan had a 66.1mm hub and the Clarity has a 64.1mm hub, so you have to buy hub centric rings to make the hubs match (about $8 for set of 4). This is a little of a pain for the Nissan wheel since it's hub mount is deeper in the wheel than that for the Clarity. I ended up using two of the hub centric rings on the wheel to adjust this. I bought the aluminum rings and cut the lip off one of them with a hacksaw. I mounted this partial ring deep in the Nissan wheel leaving probably a sixteenth of an inch of the hub mount left to stick the second ring in (which had the lip for the inside). I then coated the second ring with J-B weld steel epoxy and pushed it up against the inner ring to mesh the two together. This fills the gap in the second (inside ring) with J-B weld and makes the hub mount extend almost flush with the inside of the wheel (like the Honda wheels do). I cleaned the excess J-B weld from around the edge of the the innermost ring. I believe this should give good support in the area right against the rotor/hub. I haven't tried the wheel on the car yet, but I think it will be fine, especially just for a spare. I probably won't carry it in the car unless I am making a long trip. I rarely travel with a lot of cargo, so the full size is not a problem in taking up space for me. Hopefully this post makes some sense. If anyone wants photos, I'll try to take some and post.

Sandroad likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Have you found a good way to secure your spare tire in the trunk?

4. Robert_Alabama

Not yet. I wish the trunk had tie down points. The 2012 Chevrolet Volt has 4 perfectly placed to use rubber straps to secure a spare.

5. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

Thanks for the detailed info. Having the correct lug nuts and centering rings is much safer, even for just getting the car off the highway to a safe place. Good work.

6. Sandroad

Also, when you get a chance, post the source and info on the lug nuts and hub rings you bought. It looks like those will also be used with the Infinity wheel I bought.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Robert_Alabama

Hub Centric Rings were these:
    (link removed as auction had ended and brought up incorrect page)

I was able to find them in an auction for $7.99 and was only bidder
    Conical Lug nuts that I believe will fit the Nissan wheel were these:
    (link removed as auction had ended and brought up incorrect page)
    lugs should be 12mm x 1.5

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2019
  9. Sandroad

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2019
  10. Hi.Ho.Silver

Hi.Ho.Silver Active Member

FB437E02-370A-4AF5-8EC8-45EF08212E39.jpeg FD7179B1-0F90-40DF-81FF-D2CF1CCA5FC4.jpeg
    I attached it with the pulley device shown in the picture (looks like Amazon doesn’t have any in stock now). As you can see I bought a spare tire cover. One clip attaches to a cloth strap around the tire and the other clip to a loop of rope thru two openings in the back roof of the cargo compartment. With the pulley unit you can pull the tire tightly against the wall and release it when needed.
    I’m only carrying the donut spare for long trips.

insightman likes this.