Plug-in charging system problem

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Eva Farkas, Mar 5, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Steven B

Steven B Active Member

I'm curious what gave you this message? I don't imagine the EVSE would know anything about the battery temperature, so I can only conclude that the Hondalink app told you the battery was hot and the car was lowering the maximum charge rate it would accept in response. If this is the case, I don't know that we have any documentation telling us that the car will do this. Please confirm.
    Thanks.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. jeff10236

jeff10236 Member

The message center on the gauge cluster gave me the message that it was too hot and it was lowering the charge rate. Hasn't happened since. I also (knock on wood) haven't had any more trouble with the issue the OP had.

Steven B likes this.
  4. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

Two days in a row that I had no problems charging after around 3:30pm at work. Coincidentally, the time where many people leave... Charging with the level 1 at home today, so far zero problems.

I think it's power fluctuations and being way too sensitive.

5. nfssi

nfssi New Member

I just saw this strange behavior today.

1)My clarity is 2 weeks old with 750 miles
    2)outside temperature is about 68'F 12pm at noon
    3) 2 ports were being shared on the Chargepoint at work, 6.6kw/2 = 3.3kw charging rate
    4)plugged in at 8:55am with 10 EV miles left, charging was shared with a Leaf
    5)~10:45am got a message from Honda Link saying 'charge stopped'
    6)went to check it out at 11:10am, seeing the Leaf owner is moving his car.
    7)talked to the Leaf owner and checked his phone, he got a message from Chargepoint saying the Leaf's charge rate bumped up to 6.6kw at 10:45am. And at 11:xx his charging was done, that was why he's moving his car
    8)strangely, my Clarity was STILL charging, at 6.6kw. Somehow it resumed charging.
    9)from Chargepoint app, charging activity went up to 6.6kw around 10:XX, dip to 0kwh for 10-20 minutes, then sharply resume at 6.6kw at 11:XXam.
    10)chargepoint app says "charging completed" but it is still adding mileages.
    12)at 12:16pm charge completed

On the plus side, if the car is fully charged, i got 59 EV only miles instead of the advertised 47 miles.

I drove a Leaf the past 3 years, charged at the same chargepoint stations, never saw this (ok, maybe once now I think of it).

6. Steven B

Steven B Active Member

This example conforms to neither of the two leading theories: 1) At high ambient temperatures the Clarity might shut down charging to protect battery (or as someone has confirmed, reduce the charge rate) and 2) Charging at the top end of the Clarity's charge rate might sometimes cause the Clarity's charge controller to abruptly curtail the charge rate which the EVSE may interpret as a request to stop charging.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

Dealer called tech line and they said a fix to support 3rd party chargers is still being worked on. In the meantime, the error will continue...

Steven B likes this.
  9. Lonewarrior

Lonewarrior New Member

Hello,

I'm a first time poster here and am glad to find this forum. I got my Clarity on June 27 and got the plug in system error message during plugging into Flo network. I have been using ChargePoint at my work and never had any issue. I booked an appointment at the dealership tomorrow and will see if the message goes away tomorrow morning. My car is currently being plugged in L1 and doesn't seem to have any issue. Finger crossed.

10. ejsvoboda

ejsvoboda New Member

Just experienced this for the first time today. Car is presently at the dealer. I uploaded a case to Honda with the suggestion that they program the car to simply reduce the charge rate if they encounter a charger that is not providing current as expected. I'm not sure that we can assume that this is the problem but it seems possible. I have had no issues with charging at home with the Honda supplied charger. i also haven't had issue with either of the ChargePoint chargers that I used.

Here's the screen that you will see:

Attached Files:

11. Lonewarrior

Lonewarrior New Member

Update: The check engine light was gone this morning so it saved a trip to the dealership. It looks like a common problem in Clarity.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Odobo

Odobo Active Member

I think it's more of a problem with fluctuation / over current than under current. It will take longer to charge but it won't hurt the car if the charger under performs, can't say the same if it is the other way tho

14. Mike Phev

Mike Phev New Member

I have two plug-in hybrids: 2016 Ford Fusion Energi and my 2018 Clarity PHEV. Love both, my Clarity is my favorite. However, my Clarity fails half the time when trying to charge on public ChargePoint stations at my office. Doesn't matter whether it's cool, hot, in the sun, or in the shade, dry or wet, my Clarity fails to charge half the time at the office, regardless of charging station. The ChargePoint station initiates a charge and then soon stops with a message on its screen indicating it is waiting on vehicle. The HondaLink app says charging was interrupted. All attempts to resolve/restart charging fails (including moving the car to another station a block away). When I power on the car to move it, an error displays on the instrument cluster: "Power System: Message Plug-in Charging System Problem. Range Limited."

This problm has occurred on public charging stations intermittently since the car was new and has continued during the 6 weeks, 2,500 miles I've owned it. My 2016 Ford Fusion Energi never fails to charge at these very same charging stations. Lastly, my Clarity charges flawlessly on my ChargePoint Home L2 charger at home.

After observing this problem on the public ChargePoint station and the HondaLink app many times, I suspect there is a bug in the Clarity's J1772 signaling protocol communications and responses. So, for now, I've given up trying to use public charging stations with my Clarity PHEV since it's such a hassle. The Clarity PHEV's excellent EV range, however, allows me to complete about 75% of my round trip commute on EV and that is a huge leap forward over what I'm able to do with my Ford Fusion Energi (I drive it 2 days/week, Clarity 3 days/week on my commute). Hoping Honda has a fix for this issue in the works. Otherwise, I love my Clarity and I'm glad I bought it.

Attached Files:

15. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

It's interesting that people experiencing charging problems at home can always trace the failure to the EVSE. Some Clarity owners have found certain public EVSEs that never have a problem charging their cars. It appears the Clarity is interpreting the J1772 protocols more rigidly than Ford as it tries to protect the itself from non-conforming public EVSEs.

16. Mike Phev

Mike Phev New Member

Not only Ford, but, apparently, more rigidly than Chevrolet (Volt), Tesla (3, S), and Leaf (Gen 1). Those models also charge at the same charging stations at my office and they tell me they have zero problems.

17. Neil

Neil New Member

This issue just happened to me for the first time today. I plugged in the charger, it starting charging for a few seconds then stopped. Was unable to manually restart charging and when I turned on the car got the 'Plug-in charging system problem range limited' screen. I then plugged it into a different charger and it worked, but the check engine light stayed on. Later in the day talked to someone else with a Nissan Leaf using the same charger and having no issues. For the record this was SemaConnect charger at work, not ChargePoint.

I will look to see if the check engine light goes off eventually but I'm comforted that it has for other people.

18. RickSE

RickSE Active Member

I have five charging stations at work and can only charge on one of them. I haven’t gotten the car error message but the car won’t recognize that the plug connection has been made. I’ve seen Tesla’s, Nissan Leafs and colts plugged in to all of the other stations merrily charging away. If I can’t get station #2 there is no charge for me! I’m wondering if I should say something but since it works for the others cars I’m not sure what they would do. Any ideas?

19. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Here's a solution. A nice poster on this forum sent me this sign. You can find one on ebay. Perhaps your Clarity won't get keyed, but I wouldn't guarantee it.

upload_2018-9-12_22-55-57.png

LegoZ, lessismore and rickyrsx like this.
  20. RickSE

RickSE Active Member

That will get me keyed for sure!

21. Neil

Neil New Member

So after having this issue as I described and then the next day having charging stop after about an hour (this time the Check Engine light did not go off), I took it into the dealer. The service rep told me that the onboard computer gave a code saying that the battery voltage sensor was faulty, so they repaired it and I'm picking it up later today. It had to stay overnight. Hopefully this will resolve it and be helpful for people who have this issue in the future.

Praseodia likes this.
  22. Breezy

Breezy Member

Great to know! I've only had the car for one day, but love all the members of the board staying ahead of potential problems and sharing solutions.

23. RickSE

RickSE Active Member

Tried three chargers at work before getting one to stay connected after the other two stopped charging after a couple of minutes. Car charged fully but then I got the dressed message and check engine light. Based on this forum I just kept driving. Message went away after I turned off the car. Check engine light went off after I drove two more times. Car is plugged into my home 110 outlet merrily charging away. Work is in a covered garage, but it was humid today. I’m finding that it is pretty random which station will charge my car. Wish the clarity was a little less sensitive to charging stations, but still love the ride.