Taking Pre-Orders in Canada

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by MCSqrd, Jul 6, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Patkemp

Patkemp New Member

Correction.....the Plug-Share site is more accurate than whichever map I used to see only 3 DCFCs. There are actually 7 DCFCs in Alberta and one listed as under construction. Four (24 kw) are located at VW or BMW dealerships, one (solar power assisted 50 kw) at a "Simons" store at Londonderry Mall in Edmonton (kudos to them!!), and the remaining two (and a third under construction) at Canadian Tire stores which are 50kw as well. Canadian Tire charges $20/hr for the DCFC charge which some people believe is too high. The rest appear to be free for the time being.

However not a single charger is anywhere near the highways that would be traveled during long distance trips. Most are in the heart of the respective cities and would require one to fight traffic into and out of those areas adding considerable time to yet another of the lay-person's complaints about EVs......too much time to "refuel" vs ICE.

Trans-Canada route doesn't seem to have materialized as of yet. Perhaps in the near future (hopefully).

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

We have one fast DC charger downtown, free. So I go out of town and return with little or no charge and drive straight to the fast charger. Once it reaches 90%, head home and let my L2 finish.

Owning a plug-in, BMW i3-REx, this is what happened when I did EV outbound and gas to home:
    [​IMG]
    My understanding is SuperChargers don't pick your pocket as much as the two I had to use.

Bob Wilson

4. Dealer called today, will be getting my Kona in January! He said production would be in Oct, Nov, and Dec, and deliveries first three months of 2019. Am happy to be in the early batch. Wish it could have been earlier, though, that's right in the coldest month and I'll be breaking it in on ice and snow. Looking forward to the heated seat and steering wheel! Now got to have the charger installed... yesssssss. Most probably going with EvDuty.

Shawn Schinkel and Domenick like this.
  5. First post here :)!
    I preordered my Kona in Quebec 3 months ago. They told me I was going to receive it in October. I haven't heard any news Hyundai so I suppose I will have to wait until next year

Domenick likes this.
  6. Clearchus

Clearchus New Member

Hey, I'm ordering in Alberta too (Calgary). I haven't received an email from Hyundai, I hope my dealer didn't mess things up! I'll watch this forum for hopefully getting the prices. Order Preferred trim (not Ultimate).

Domenick likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Patkemp

Patkemp New Member

I didn’t see the Preferred trim as an option.....only Ultimate. How did you reserve..... online or at the dealer? If the dealer is accepting deposits on the Preferred trim maybe it will be later availability and only top trim levels will be in the first wave of deliveries. I placed my deposit on July 10 and received email from Hyundai on Sept 11. Curiously, the only dealers listed as EV certified back in July were in Calgary and that’s where I left my deposit. I’m just outside Edmonton and now the website includes Edmonton dealers as EV certified so I guess one of those dealers lost my business by dragging their feet getting EV certified.

Incidentally I now see the Hyundai Canada website is now offering pre-sale of the Ioniq Electric in both trim levels.

9. Check with your dealer. I'm in Montreal region, and received an e-mail from Hyundai and a follow-up call from my dealer the next day. Looks like deliveries will be starting in January.

10. Clearchus

Clearchus New Member

Pre-ordered direct with dealer (country hills). When I saw website pre-orders , I went to closest dealer to check out the gas version. They said they could do it directly. I think I'm going to be in a later batch. Not advertised, but you can order the lower preferred trim apparently.

Price estimated to be 41-43k for preferred, 48-50k for ultimate. Have you heard anything about price?

Domenick likes this.
  11. Burnaby Tom

Burnaby Tom Member

I placed my reservation with Hyundai in Vancouver July 11. I haven't heard anything since:(.
    At least they only wanted $500 refundable deposit! Dealer said in July they were expecting December delivery & price range of 45-46K for preferred and 50-52K for Ultimate. I went for the Ultimate and really hope I get the 11K incentives here in BC - 5K for EV plus 6K for Scrap-It program (getting an old ICE vehicle off the road).

bwilson4web and Domenick like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Clearchus

Clearchus New Member

Must be nice to have incentives! No incentives in Alberta, but no provincial sales tax at least, only GST. Would be nice if federal government sets up incentives.

Domenick likes this.
  14. Patkemp

Patkemp New Member

I did the online reservation through Hyundai website and Country Hills was also my chosen dealer. Haven't heard anything further since the email on Sept 11 which I have copied here:

We would like to thank you for your pre-order of the 2019 KONA electric. We are very excited to be bringing the first electric subcompact SUV to Canada, and you will be among the very first to own this impressive vehicle.​

As the global demand for the KONA electric has been unprecedented, your deposit has helped us secure your vehicle. We are happy to confirm that Canadian-market pre-order vehicles are scheduled to be produced in the months of October, November and December of 2018. Vehicle delivery will be allocated based on your pre-order date and will take place before March 2019.​

As we receive more information specific to the unique VIN that will be assigned to you, we will pass it along immediately.​

We will also provide you with monthly updates on production, pricing as well as your delivery date.​

Thank you,​

Hyundai Auto Canada​

15. Burnaby Tom

Burnaby Tom Member

Yeah, the incentives in BC are nice. And yes, it's time for Trudeau to step up and bring in a national incentive plan (waive the GST at least). The 5k comes off the price (after tax) at the dealer. To get the 6k scrap it rebate you must have an insured on the road vehicle to scrap - it can't be something that's been on blocks in your backyard for years. They only have one thousand full rebates per year & I believe there gone for this year. You get less if buying a used or hybrid vehicle.
    An early 2019 delivery should help me secure one of those rebates - thanks Patkemp for sharing the delivery details!

Domenick likes this.
  16. Clearchus

Clearchus New Member

Thanks for the Alberta info Pat.
    Please keep this forum updated with info and your experiences getting the Kona ev.

Let's hope country hills dealership does things right. If you find out about dealer fees and maintenance plans, let me know. I expect to pay full msrp but don't know if they tack on dealer fees.

17. Clearchus

Clearchus New Member

I'm now getting unsure about my Preferred trim ever getting delivered. Dealer said Hyundai is really pushing Ultimate trims only now. Wouldn't be a problem except my wife refuses to buy leather seating. I wish electric cars would go full "eco" and use cloth or leatherette only. Doesn't seem to hurt Tesla/e-golf sales. Anyway, we will see.

18. Patkemp

Patkemp New Member

Yes I was wondering about your pre-order of the Preferred trim model since the website gave no such choice on the pre-order page. Strange, though, that the dealership would accept your deposit unless the Preferred trim will be part of the second wave of production shipped some time after this first wave gets produced in these next few months. Perhaps your sales rep could clarify.......especially since you didn’t seem to get the confirmation email from Hyundai Canada. I also just noticed that the website is no longer offering the “Pre-order now” option. It has been replaced with a simple “Keep me informed” option. I wonder if they have reached the saturation point of orders for the second wave of deliveries as well.

As for the leather interior, my personal experience has been that I prefer the real thing over synthetic. And that’s just a personal preference. Currently, my wife and I have a pair of Mercedes cars. One has what’s called MB-Tex synthetic leather and the other has the upgraded Napa leather. No contest as to which feels better to the touch (leather). Also the MB-Tex drivers seat cover started to split and crack at about 7 years of age (around 100,000 km) and needed to be replaced. And this vehicle has been garaged its entire life so no unusually long events sitting in the sun. I also have an older Subaru Outback with leather seats and they feel more plasticy than the fake leather in the Benz...... so I guess it depends on leather grade etc. I have seen some of the newer synthetics and they seem much better..... especially the Tesla offerings. The white is very nice. Now if your wife’s dislike of leather is an animal rights thing or similar, then ignore my above comments. Lol.

19. Clearchus

Clearchus New Member

Ya, the dealer wasn't quite sure. They accepted preferred trim order but no info since. I actually just pulled the plug and cancelled. I am purchasing an egolf instead. I might regret it if the Kona shows up but I don't want to wait for what might not show up.

Yah, wife doesn't like leather for ethical reasons otherwise I would buy the ultimate trim in a heartbeat.

20. I just got some news from my dealership here in Montreal.
    The car will be built in December and delivering time will be Q1, they had 55 orders. He told me I should expect the car to be here by February.

Domenick likes this.
  21. zoominbc

zoominbc Active Member

Just heard from my dealer that delivery has been pushed back to March. Was previously January or February. I was surprised that the dealer had an Ioniq on the showroom floor that I could have driven home today.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    Domenick and Alejo like this.
  22. Thanks for the update. I wonder if this pushback is Canada-wide?

23. zoominbc

zoominbc Active Member

Not sure but I did read that the UK deliveries are also pushed back.