Front passenger door not closing properly

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by amy2421, Sep 15, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. amy2421

amy2421 Active Member

When I picked up my Clarity, the salesperson made a point of showing how the front passenger door needed a pretty hard slam to close and seal properly. He said this was due to the excellent seal on the Clarity, that the airtight pressure meant it would not close with a light touch.

I was a little skeptical and I have continued to find this to be the case, but only with that door. The others seem to close normally. Does anyone else have the same issue and is it really a "feature", or is there likely something wrong with the alignment, hinge or latch on my front passenger door?

Thanks!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

I have the same problem. It seems that the front passenger door needs a bit more force to close. No problem however if it's not the last door being closed.

Matt B likes this.
  4. mattheo0118

mattheo0118 Member

Mine is the same.. you have to use more forced to close it all the way.. never had this issue with any other car/truck I've owned

5. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

All mine close easily and with the same low force. Perhaps yours need adjusting and your dealer found it easier to feed you a line of BS rather than fix it.

6. mrgb5

mrgb5 New Member

Mine has the same problem, but whenever I take to dealer, it works fine, the last 2 times, so I took a video of the problem. I will show them next I visit.
    I don't believe its the air pressure.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Inside EVs mobile app

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Jaketesla

Jaketesla Member

I have the same issue with the passenger door. At first I thought it was just my wife but literally every person that has been in the car has had to double close the door. It's weird.

9. ClarityDoc

ClarityDoc Active Member

No difference among doors on mine.

10. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

I hope it's not the air pressure. Vehicles with multiple airbags are designed with enough venting to allow them to deploy with full force. A simple door close is a lot less than that! My Clarity does not require a hard slam on any door, but all the doors take a bit of push to close against the seal. One that requires a hard slam needs adjustment, IMHO.

11. RickSE

RickSE Active Member

In with KentuckyKen on this one. My doors all close like normal doors and don’t need any extra force to close them. I’d go back to the dealer and tell him to fix them.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. JJim

JJim Active Member

I have the same issue and when I open the windows or other doors before close the front passenger door it don't happen, so I believe that it is because of air pressure but I don't understand why the front passenger door but not others.

14. Alantn

Alantn Member

All my doors work the same. No extra force needed for any doors.

15. amy2421

amy2421 Active Member

OK thanks everyone. So it seems it is a common problem but not a "feature". I'm going to try to get it fixed when my car goes in sometime. It's not annoying enough to make a special trip to the dealer but it does irk me.

16. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

I had the same issue when the car was new. It just took a little more force to close it but it always closed well with a pleasing thump so I knew it was likely the bolstered seals. Now that we've had the car nearly a year, the door closes normally like any car, presumably as the seals settled in place. Overall, the fit and finish is the best of any car I've owned. I would not have the dealers look into this. They might make adjustments that help in the short term but compromise the fit of the doors or the integrity of the seals down the road.

amy2421 likes this.
  17. Breezy

Breezy Member

Same problem with our 3-day-old Clarity. Thanks for chiming in PHEV Newbie--good to know the problem shouldn't last.

18. David A

David A Guest

Amy2421...did you ever get and resolution on this matter?

I'm just really curious what the reason is according to Honda and the dealership.

Keep us posted.

Thanks

19. amy2421

amy2421 Active Member

Not yet, and I'm debating whether or not to have it looked at based on PHEV Newbie's response above. Although it is sometimes annoying to have to close the passenger door twice, when it does close all the way it has a decent "thump" closure and a tight fit, so I'm second-guessing whether to have the dealer look at it/potentially mess it up.

20. David A

David A Guest

Just curious. Can't say I blame you being wary of dealerships...I do most work myself and use dealership services only as a last resort. I even ended up taking the A pillars off and fixing the speaker rattle since their "fix" lasted about a week.

You might consider using something like this to help the break in process if there is such a thing for rubber seals

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T44D1R2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Keep us posted if you ever find out a reason.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2018
  21. kcsunshine

kcsunshine Active Member

I have no problem with my doors. No extra effort on any door. My trunk lid seems to have a slight rub just before closing. Anyone have this feeling?

22. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

Just to add that my wife closed the front passenger door lightly this morning. I thought for sure it was too light to fully close, but it did. If we did that when the car was new, it would have needed another firmer pull for sure.

23. Candice

Candice Active Member

My trunk definitely needs extra effort to close. I don't like to push on the rear spoiler or get fingerprints on the little window so it is hard to apply enough pressure and I end up doing it twice. The place you are supposed to grab to pull the trunk closed inside of the hatch is okay if you aren't carrying anything.