Very short EV range: what are the possibilities?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Akinto, Sep 6, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Akinto

Akinto Member

We’re consistently getting an EV range of ~60km (37 miles).

This is well below what we were promised.

I thought it might have been due to a long trip on I-90, but we’ve been driving mostly in downtown Toronto for weeks.

It’s been in the high 20’s (C), mid 80s (F). I don’t think that’s the problem.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ClarityDoc

ClarityDoc Active Member

Are you describing actual distance driven, or the estimate from the dashboard guesstimator/predictor?

Akinto likes this.
  4. V8Power

V8Power Active Member

Which mode are you driving in? How hard do you accelerate and brake?
    In Econ mode and driving gently, we’re getting 98km EV range.

Akinto and ClarityDoc like this.
  5. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

Are you dealing with hills?

Akinto likes this.
  6. Akinto

Akinto Member

We’re driving in normal mode. Perhaps Econ is a better choice.

Toronto is flat.

I have to admit that I haven’t looked up how to use the trip odometer.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Akinto

Akinto Member

I should add that we’re pretty calm old ladies who mostly drive the car to church. We’ve not had a moving violation or a collision in decades.

I might once have been excited about sports mode, but I haven’t even tried it.

leehinde likes this.
  9. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Wirh the driver ans road conditions you are describing, I would expect higher EV miles than that. I’m consistently getting High 50s (miles)with AC in the 80s and 90s F.
    I would take it in and have them measure your Battery Capacity Signal. It should be very close to 55 Ah which is the nominal rating when manufactured. If it’s not then the battery may have been damaged prior to purchase by not being charged.

Akinto likes this.
  10. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

I suggest using Econ only and driving light footed for a couple of days or a couple of charges.

If you've been in Normal mode (no sport or HV) you're not getting the best the car can deliver.

Akinto likes this.
  11. V8Power

V8Power Active Member

I agree with Jdonalds. Try Econ and be light with go & brake for a couple hundred KM and I’m betting you’ll see the EV range increase for you.

Akinto likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. amy2421

amy2421 Active Member

I feel like there might be something wrong there because we have similar stats and my Clarity has been getting a fairly consistent range of 80+km (50+miles). I drove to less than 5 km EV range and still had 4 bars showing so I believe the range might be a bit overcautious. I'm just outside the GTA, so have been driving in similar climate conditions, although we have more hills here than in downtown TO. I have mostly driven in Normal mode and do not use the paddle regen thingies because I'm too dumb to figure out how to use them! LOL! I've recently switched to Econ mode, not necessarily to extend my EV range but to cause the ICE to trip less easily.

Based on my own calculations, I've driven just over 1000 EV km's and put 193 kw's into my car according to my ChargePoint app, so that seems to support the range being at least close to correct at 80-ish km per "fill". Someone else said the most anyone has reported putting into their Clarity was 14.4 kw, my highest was 14.14.

Numbernine and Akinto like this.