Air conditioning while charging (240V)

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Ray B, Aug 29, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Ray B

Ray B Active Member

Sorry for the newbie question. A couple of times while the car was still charging at a charging station I hopped in and wanted to listen to podcasts/stereo and cool the interior down by running the A/C. But it appears that the only way to accomplish the cooling is by using the HondaLink app to tell the car to turn on climate control which normally takes a couple of minutes. When I try to do it without the app and thus attempt to power on the car it says to disconnect the charger and the A/C does not work, though the fan is blowing.

Entering accessory mode is not as straightforward as I thought it would be... It usually takes me a couple attempts. But - like all cars - that mode only allows me to run the stereo/podcasts and not run the air conditioning or open the windows.

Am I just doing something wrong, or is this by design? Would it work if I was to set the parking brake perhaps? Seems odd to have a slow-to-respond app as the only way to trigger air conditioning while it is actively charging.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I'm not sure if the remote can start the climate control system if it's inside the car, but here's how page 199 in the Owners Manual describes how the remote can control the climate control system:

upload_2018-8-30_1-4-57.png

Did you know you can roll down all the windows using the remote?
    Press the unlock button, then press and hold it again within 10 seconds.
    Hold the button until the windows have opened as far as you want them to go.

Texas22Step and Kailani like this.
  4. Odobo

Odobo Active Member

Yes you can start precondition with FOB when you are in the car.... Just remember to unlock to disarm the alarm before you get out....

Carro con enchufe and descolado like this.
  5. descolado

descolado Member

I do this quite a bit and it works great. Just don't forget you'll trigger the alarm if you unlock from the inside.

Haven't noticed any significant decrease in charge time while doing this. Just wish BT didn't engage when precondition is running.

amy2421 likes this.
  6. neal adkins

neal adkins Active Member

If you start the climate control from outside or inside the vehicle it will shut off if you open the driver's door, but You can open the passenger door and it will stay on. So sometimes I just sit on the passenger side.

insightman and weave like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. weave

weave Active Member

Wow, awesome. Never thought about trying the passenger side

Just as an aside, I have a 240 volt charger at home and the battery is filled after charging and then I go to pre-condition, the charger turns back on. So when plugged in it seems it's powered direct from AC. Maybe that's why it won't pre-condition if plugged into a 120 line. Or they just don't want it draining the battery faster than the 120 can charge it. /shrug.

9. Steven B

Steven B Active Member

The behavior you describe is also how I've seen it work with 120V: 1) Charging has stopped but vehicle is still plugged in to 120V, 2) pre-conditioning is activated, then 3) Charging automatically starts again.

Pegsie likes this.
  10. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Several posts on other threads have indicated that pre-conditioning can be done on the Level 1 EVSE supplies with the car. They mentioned that, unlike Level 2, it can’t be done while charging, only when charging is complete. Works for Base and Touring.

11. AaD

AaD Member

Slight correction: charging doesn't need to be complete, it just needs to be stopped before it will activate.

KentuckyKen likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. amy2421

amy2421 Active Member

YES!!! I have answered my phone several times from inside my house before leaving for work and there is just dead air. Turns out it is active in my car on the BT link... argh! I used to have a car with Remote Start and it would do this, but it was understandable because the whole car was running and didn't know I wasn't in it. But the preconditioning should not turn on the BT link!