Clarity - Any ideas on a bike Rack?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by cowgomoo, Jan 9, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Tucker's Dad

Tucker's Dad New Member

I'm glad I found this forum, I take delivery of my Clarity today and thought I could buy a Reese hitch based on what I found on the AutoZone website but that was news to Reese. This thread helped clear things up for me so thanks for all your input. FYI, TorkLift is now taking pre-orders for hitches for $375 for the first 25 customers, presumably based on the design they did for Samzilla's car.

https://torkliftcentral.com/honda-clarity

I haven't reached out to them yet to ask when the hitch will be available but will update this post when I do. Thanks, Samzilla!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Steven B

Steven B Active Member

So I suppose the hitch will be available when 25 people have pre-ordered. Updating the page by counting down the number of pre-orders remaining as their pre-orders come in would be helpful. They are claiming no drilling, so there must be existing holes on the impact beam across the back bumper. Unless the large hole in the center of each of the mount flanges gets a bolt, I would not trust this assembly for full rated load given there is only one hole at the top of each flange. Sure would have been nice for @samzilla3 to ask them to take some pictures of the mount points before it got re-covered up by the plastic airdam.

4. Vernon Lundy

Vernon Lundy New Member

I just spoke to torklift and was told 30-45 days before ready for purchase.

5. Everbody

Everbody New Member

I am using a Saris Bones 3 bike unit. It is like the Thule, lightweight with 4 hooks. It works fine with one bike. Craigslist is a good source.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Inside EVs mobile app

6. Torklift makes a tow hitch for the Clarity according to https://torkliftcentral.com/honda-clarity The thing I hate about roof racks is that the bikes tend to swing wildly from side to side on a rough road, mounting the bikes on a receiver hitch is much more stable. Torklift installed a similar hitch (ecohitch) on a Subaru Outback I had - it was very nice albeit not inexpensive - well hidden behind the bumper. I've been going to Torklift in Kent, WA for years, they are a class act.

Domenick likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Rob_v1

Rob_v1 Member

I see that I can pre-order a hitch from Torklift, but they won't begin making them until they have 25 orders. Has anyone heard how close they are? At $375, the price isn't way out of line.

9. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Torlift must be lurking on the forum. They just PMed me and asked if I would test their Clarity specific hitch which they said would soon be available. I said YES! As soon as this works out, I’ll post results.

I looked at roof racks but Yakima only has their generic gutter/door frame clamps and nothing specific for the Clarity. Since the Clarity does not have built in clamp areas in the door frame like the Camry, I am leery of clamping on the Clarity’s roof/door frame. And I too don’t like roof racks anyway so I’ll wait until Torklift makes theirs available and see if that works.

10. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

WOO HOO!

If there was any doubt that InsideEVs is the "go-to" forum for Clarity PHEV owners, I think that has just been dispelled!

Or maybe the Torklift guys and gals just like your avatar as much as I do, KentuckyKen!
    :D

11. I would guess that the install process may be similar to what is shown in this video:

The Ecohitch is mounted up behind the bumper and very solid. I had one installed on my 2010 Outback for our relatives that bought the Outback from us. Sadly somebody hit the car and totaled it before they even got a chance to use the tow hitch. I did have that install done at the Kent WA Torklift, the total price for the hitch installed was about $600, including wiring for a utility trailer to be towed. I also was PM'ed by Torklift and offered a hitch for an evaluation, so I probably will take advantage of that offer. I'm wondering what towing capabilities the Clarity might have to tow a small light trailer. I have a pickup setup to tow so just curious. That of course would require the wiring as was done on the Outback.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    CyberDyneSystems likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. peekay

peekay New Member

Just got off the phone with Tork about the Clarity hitch. He says they're about 1-2 weeks out from finalizing the design and beginning production. When I asked how long it would take to ship out once production started, he hemmed and hawed and finally said about 5 days. Candidly, it wasn't the most reassuring response -- but assuming it goes as he stated, we're looking at 2-3 weeks.

If it doesn't ship out in 3 weeks, I am planning to demand a refund and try Uhaul.

14. KentuckyKen

Torklift just emailed me that they are finalizing the installation instructions and the hitch itself for the Clarity. I am signed up to be a tester and they are sending me the hitch as soon as it’s finished. I will post updates.

Omgswify, Domenick and peekay like this.
  15. Steven B

Steven B Active Member

Remind me, did everyone conclude that installing a hitch on a vehicle for which the manufacturer provides no rating NOT void the warranty? Spoke to a Tesla 3 owner tonight and he said he thought that it was Tesla's position that it would void the warranty.

16. Omgswify

Omgswify Member

How is the visibility for drivers behind you with the hitch? I’m always afraid of someone rear ending me with less brake light visibility. I checked yakima and they have a generic roof rack for our cars, which is what I prefer, but it does add wind noise. Luckily we don’t have a sunroof or it’d more noticeable.

17. peekay

peekay New Member

It does not void any warranty outright. If the manufacturer can show how your modification caused the warranty claim, then you're out of luck on that issue. But the remaining part of the warranty is still in effect. So for example, if we install a hitch, and the battery breaks, unless the manufacturer can show that the hitch caused the battery to break, e.g., you were actually towing a trailer with the car even though it's not rated for towing and that actually caused the battery to break (somehow), the manufacturer is still on the hook. By contrast if you submitted a claim for the rear frame bending and it's bc you loaded up a 200lb bike rack on your hitch, then the claim would probably be denied.

KentuckyKen likes this.
  18. KentuckyKen

I realize that any alteration of the car to accept the hitch will void any warranty for those parts and for their impact on other parts of the car. It will not void the entire warranty. For example, not even Honda’s bevy of lawyers and engineers could successfully argue that it would affect the, let’s say, cabin blower motor.
    Naturally, if you were to try to tow a trailer and exceed the GVWR, then all bets are off.

I’ll be using it only for a bike rack so I won’t be overloading the drivetrain or weakening the chassis assuming Torklift does their usually fine engineering job.
    I’m waiting for the finalized instructions which will be sent ahead of the hitch so I can determine the possible risks before I proceed.
    Stay tuned.

19. jorgie393

jorgie393 Well-Known Member

20. Steven B

Steven B Active Member

I want one too, I just heard all these commenters posting on the pre-mature oil changes and how they'll change their ways only after the warranty is up but didn't hear anyone raise a flag on the hitch.

21. aapitten

aapitten Active Member

For what its worth, I reached out to Torklift in mid July and (after first not even getting a response) I was told they would have installation instructions by the end of the week. When I didn't hear anything I followed up at the end of July and they said they were still working on it and would have them by the end of the week. I was assured they would email me as soon as they had the instructions. Here we are at Aug 22 and still no more information. I plan to check again next week if there have been any updates.

22. peekay

peekay New Member

Yeah, I've been underwhelmed by their company so far. I realize it's a pre-sale so there's going to be waiting, but the least they can do after taking my full payment is keeping me in the loop. At a minimum, at least bother to return a call. I had left a voicemail for them requesting an update and never heard back. If I had any other viable options I'd ditch them. For any other car, there would be plenty of options and no need to deal with such an unimpressive company. Unfortunately for me, I'm stuck for now.

23. Rob_v1

Rob_v1 Member

I’m picking my car up tomorrow morning at their shop with their very first production hitch installed. I’ll post some photos.

Pushmi-Pullyu likes this.